Cutting hose-ends square

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
"Dragon Lady"
Vessel Make
DeFever 41
I try to cut the ends of new hoses clean and square. Short pieces can be cut on a mandril in my lathe, but anything over 14" long has to be done with knife and eye. This seldom results in a square end, especially when cutting waste hose with spiral nylon reinforcement. Google has only turned up variations of scissors and guilotines,* both of which squash the hose first and will (I think) produce an out-of-square end. A chop-saw will cut the black steel-reinforced hose, but it melts anything plastic. A device based on a tubing cutter with a mandril inside the end of the tube might work. Any ideas?

Mike

-- Edited by Shoalwaters on Saturday 8th of January 2011 05:04:55 PM

Shoalwaters wrote:

I try to cut the ends of new hoses clean and square. ...Any ideas?
When I have access to one when I want to cut a hose I use a bandsaw.* On the boat I use one of those hose-cutting tools, the kind with a handle and a blade attached to a pivot that you squeeze to bring pressure onto the hose.* I have found that by putting on a small amount of pressure and then rotating the tool around the hose I can cut thruough it without compressing the hose itself, and the cut comes out very "square."

But the bandsaw is best.* I just don't often have access to one when I have to cut a hose.

If cutting the hose with a handsaw, I'd first run a strip of painter's tape around the hose to mark the cut.* Once satisfied with the squareness of the tape, use it to guide your cut.

Ive always had good luck with a serrated knife. So if you don't have the right saw or other tool blade, a quick trip to any Dollar Store for* a serrated knife can save the day.

Peggie,
Those things ALWAYS cut crocked. I hate them. But they saw good.

Mike wrote:

If I know how long the hose should be ahead of time I'll cut it on the horizontal bandsaw in my shop.

When I'm on the boat I do this -

I buy the cheapest little plastic yellow miter box I can find - usually 6 or 7 bucks at a place like Ace. I cut the hose in the miter box using a nice rigid (small r - not a brand name) square tube hack saw with a fine blade.

I use KY jelly to lubricate the blade. Easy to wash off, and really speeds the cutting up. I just clamp the hose with my free hand.

If it's a big project I just throw the miter box out when I'm done - they don't last long, but it does give a nice almost square cut.

As square as hose needs to be anyway.

Works for me.

Mike
Merritt Island, FL.

Make that vote #2 for the cheap miter box and a hack saw. *Pipe cutter pliers are great too- that is typically what I use.

I second the recommendation for the pvc pipe cutter.
Mine is redline brand they come in two sizes to cover various size pipe works a treat
cuts square only 1 reservation later model ones seem to have gone to plastic for the frame mines cast metal and durable dont know how the plastic frame works out.

Mike, it looks like lots of good ideas for getting a square cut, but I wonder why it needs to be so perfect.* I would think, that unless it's really out of square to the point you can't double clamp it, it makes little difference.* Still, there are some good ideas here........Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller wrote:

Mike, it looks like lots of good ideas for getting a square cut, but I wonder why it needs to be so perfect.* I would think, that unless it's really out of square to the point you can't double clamp it, it makes little difference.* Still, there are some good ideas here........Arctic Traveller
Glad someone else ask this as I am wondering the same thing.

"Glad someone else ask this as I am wondering the same thing."

Yes. I guess one can make a project out of any task.

Thanks to all who responded; plenty of food for thought. The tool I thought might exist apparently doesn't.*

The last three posts ask why it has to be "so perfect". My requirement is "clean and square", in other words to good engineering practice. That includes bolts and hose clamps of the correct length,*cable ties with the ends clipped off and screw-driver slots lined up. It may be a tad childish, but I get satisfaction out of looking at a finished job done to the best of my ability.

Shoalwaters wrote:

Thanks to all who responded; plenty of food for thought. The tool I thought might exist apparently doesn't.*

The last three posts ask why it has to be "so perfect". My requirement is "clean and square", in other words to good engineering practice. That includes bolts and hose clamps of the correct length,*cable ties with the ends clipped off and screw-driver slots lined up. It may be a tad childish, but I get satisfaction out of looking at a finished job done to the best of my ability.
********* Nothing wrong with perfect- keep up the good work!

Shoalwaters wrote:

I used to work with a mechanical/automotive engineer Brit who was an ex Cat rep, car builder, etc.; a really serious, knowledgeable guy.* He showed me a photo of a working steam engine model he had built.* I commented on the fact that all the screw heads were lined up in unison.* "Full marks for you, mate!" he said, beaming.

The fact that somebody noticed absolutely made his day. So, I can relate.

I have not thought about cutting them square if there is enough room to get two hose clamps on, so what is the diff its square of not square?***Shoot most of the time I am just happy to cut the hose and get the hose on/off without cutting/hurting myself.

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Monday 10th of January 2011 05:07:55 PM

Shoalwaters wrote:That includes bolts and hose clamps of the correct length,*cable ties with the ends clipped off and screw-driver slots lined up. It may be a tad childish, but I get satisfaction out of looking at a finished job done to the best of my ability.

Does that also include filing the ends of clipped cable ties?* I can't believe how razor sharp that plastic can be.* I try to file them if I can, but at a minimum I'll take something blunt like a pair of pliers, and pound on the sharp corners to dull them.* I'm tired of cutting myself on the stupid things.............Arctic Traveller

some see the glass as half empty
some see the glass as half full
engineers see an oversized container

Try cutting wire ties with side cutters designed to cut plastics.* Very sharp, no bevel on one side, leaves wire tie ends square with no points.

McMaster and most tool retailers will sell them:

<h3 class="PrsnttnNm">Plastic-Cutting Pliers</h3>

3695a21p1s.png

With Adjustable Stop and Cushion-Grip Handles

Designed for cutting plastics, these extremely sharp pliers make a flush cut that leaves a smooth, finished edge. Not intended for cutting metal or wire.

rednev wrote:some see the glass as half empty

some see the glass as half full
engineers see an oversized container

Normal people* believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.*
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it* doesn't have enough features yet.

Peggie,

There's only one "ain't broke" line that flies.

If it ain't broke it must have been maintained.

Hiya,
** P/F.* One of the reasons Mr. Shoalwaters lines up his screw heads, uses the proper sized clamps*and tidies up his work is*a concept called PRIDE OF WORKMANSHIP.* Doing a half-assed job isn't in MY maintenance program either.* Well done Mr. Shoalwaters.
** Mr. AT.* I hear ya about the sharp ends of cable ties.* One of the things I do is hit the cut end*briefly with my soldering iron.

nomadwilly wrote:

There's only one "ain't broke" line that flies.

If it ain't broke it must have been maintained.
There's a big differerence between "fix" and "maintain."* The line is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."** It's not, "If it ain't broke don't maintain it."

I'm not going to vote on whether a 60 degree jagged crosss-section*hand-cut with a dull kitchen knife or a laser guided precise 90 degree cut made on your CNC milling lathe is superior.* It's entirely a matter of what's good enough on your boat.
However, for those seeking something approaching a square cut, consider a piece of dowel closely matching your hose interior diameter being used to prevent hose collapse while employing your mitre box or hack saw.

Form over function keeps too many vessels at the dock. Lining up screw heads in an ER takes the cake. But, OC on boats*is alive and well and keeps therapists in $$ to pay for their own toys.

RT Firefly wrote:

Hiya,
P/F.* One of the reasons Mr. Shoalwaters lines up his screw heads, uses the proper sized clamps*and tidies up his work is*a concept called PRIDE OF WORKMANSHIP.* Doing a half-assed job isn't in MY maintenance program either.* Well done Mr. Shoalwaters.
And another thing.* If I was in the market for a particular boat, and found two similar, all other things being equal, the one with lined up screw heads, proper sized clamps and bolts and a clean engine room would make me believe that boat has received better maintenance.* Which one do you think I would buy?* It's the reason I keep my engine room immaculate, my maintenance records complete, and my manuals up to date.* Better resale value...............Arctic Traveller

bluebyu wrote:

Try cutting wire ties with side cutters designed to cut plastics.* Very sharp, no bevel on one side, leaves wire tie ends square with no points.

These sound great, have you used them on zipties?* It seems to me the sharp edge that results from cutting with normal side cutters is the corners. The edges end up razor sharp. Does this tool eliminate that problem?* If so, I'll be getting a pair soon................Arctic Traveller

Radioshack sells a $5 pair of red handled pair of light duty side cutters that is flush on one side and tapered on the other- similar to a wood chisel. It is great for clipping tie wraps so long as they are not the huge ones.

Forkliftt wrote:

Radioshack sells a $5 pair of red handled pair of light duty side cutters that is flush on one side and tapered on the other- similar to a wood chisel. It is great for clipping tie wraps so long as they are not the huge ones.

Im on my way to get a pair, I'll report back on the results...........Arctic Traveller

Capn' Jeff,It's been 7 1/2 hours. How far away is the Radio Shack?
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom