Active Captain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Did a search and didn't find a thread on this (though some posts may be buried in other threads).

Does anyone actively use Active Captain while underway and to select anchorages etc.? I have the Garmin software on my iPad with AC and find it interesting. However since I pretty much know my immediate cruising area I don't get much value out of it.

The frequent newsletters are interesting enough though.

How valuable a tool is this when cruising away from home, gunkholeing etc.?

Greetings,
Mr. m. this past spring we relocated from VA to FL (21 days running). We did use AC as well as cruising guides/charts/GPS. We found AC to be a valuable addition regarding recent "changes" (shoaling/hazards) along our route although some entries appeared to contain some modicum of what I termed "creative writing". So, yes, a good additional resource.

We use it all the time, the new route planning/transfer capability might increase my use. While we are limited to the Chesapeake Bay, still working, there are still many places we haven't been and new things to see; the comments from other cruisers sheds some light on those places.

Greetings,
Mr. m. this past spring we relocated from VA to FL (21 days running). We did use AC as well as cruising guides/charts/GPS. We found AC to be a valuable addition regarding recent "changes" (shoaling/hazards) along our route although some entries appeared to contain some modicum of what I termed "creative writing". So, yes, a good additional resource.

Totally agree. While traveling, we both have our iPads open, using Garmin Blue Charts, with the Active Captain overlay open. Navigator reads about the upcoming hazards to heed the advice. Wish our Raymarine interfaced with AC, but we like the Garmin better- it even gives us weather radar, current and tides.

\f0\fs56 \cf0 \cb2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec3 }

Used it extensively on the way from Fl back to Tx. Helped me find anchorages I would not have considered.

Yes I find it very useful I use every time I go out shoaling and interesting places to stay etc

We use it all the time away for anchorages, transient slip prices and fuel prices. Its amazing to see fuel price differences of $1/gal in the same port.
Make sure you check the date of the data.

I think it is great resource, the charts have measuring and waypoint tools for route planning and the user reviews of most markers provide up to date information. When online the satellite view lets you see the topography and get an idea of the surroundings of anchorages, beaches, etc.

Mostly used for pre-planning, like the anchorage information along with the dog friendly tips, very valuable tool.

Does anyone actively use Active Captain while underway and to select anchorages etc.?

How valuable a tool is this when cruising away from home, gunkholeing etc.?

I started using it this year and found it very helpful. Did a 5 wk canal & Lk Champlain cruise and used it extensively for selecting & planning anchorage & marina stops and parts \ repair facilities when needed. Restaurant reviews also useful.

You can download chart sections to a laptop or tablet to make access 24\7 even when you out of range of WiFi or cell service. Frequently had the tablet at the helm for reference.

Highly recommend it!!

Don
'08 MS 34HT
"Bacchus"

Use it all the time. Both underway and for planning.

Very disappointed (with Garmin) that it is not truly integrated into the new Garmin plotters we have.

We use it all the time, and I think it's one of the great transformational inventions for boating. Like with any customer feedback, you need to do some filtering, but less than other publications which tend to all happy thoughts, and nothing but happy thoughts.

AC is an extremely useful tool. The charting and reviews are excellent.

We use AC often, for planning and while underway. Most often we use the latest download integrated into MaxSea, MX Navigator, and Plan2Nav.

Would use it on our plotter (NN3D, which is basically MaxSea in Furuno MFD), but ours is too old to have the gizmos it would take to integrate AC data. Given the other three systems, that's never been an issue.

-Chris

However since I pretty much know my immediate cruising area I don't get much value out of it.

Facilities change. Prices change. Even in familiar waters, it's another way to keep up with what's going on.

But the reason I'm writing is to encourage you, and everyone on TF, to update AC with information about the facilities in their own area.

Post the price every time you fuel up (I always just take a picture of the pump(s) so that I can enter both gas and diesel values later.)

Post details and interesting tidbits about local anchorages, shoreside facilities and businesses.

Who better than a local to keep all these entries fresh?

It's irritating to find an AC review of a place from someone who obviously stayed there, but who didn't bother to update the information about prices and services at that facility. Likewise, a marina that gets lots of use but has absolutely no details in AC.

I suspect a lot of people don't know that they can update ALL of the information, not just write a review. And you don't need to write a review to make updates.

We use it for planning. So far we've had no reason to refer to it while underway even though it's overlaid on the chart app (Navimatics) that we have open on an iPad when we're running.

I also find it very useful in planning a trip. I leave reviews and update information whenever I can. I'm working toward the coveted AC hat!

Used AC to plan our trip from SF to the Columbia when we bought our tub. I would recommend it.:thumb:

I love to use it to inspect an area I would like to explore. But hate to P in the punch- Jeffrey has made it very clear that the future AC is gonna be eboatcards. He's also crowd sourcing all the info for marine services he can. The plan is in process to "evolve". I just hope I can keep up ...

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I love to use it to inspect an area I would like to explore. But hate to P in the punch- Jeffrey has made it very clear that the future AC is gonna be eboatcards. He's also crowd sourcing all the info for marine services he can. The plan is in process to "evolve". I just hope I can keep up ...

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Can someone elaborate on what eboatcards is?

Don
'08 MS 34HT
" Bacchus"

Don,
That's the rub for me. I have an eboatcards . I just don't know what to do with it. And currently there's AC Companion. Patricia and I both have it loaded on our iphones. I believe the idea of ACC is to let you download blocks of charts that you choose (of course each block would use up some memory on your phone) and then be able to access it when you are unable to connect to a cell tower. Unfortunately we were both unsuccessful in downloading even one block. Im sure it's an easy fix- but currently it's just one more thing I gotta get to.
I think the support is great- I've emailed questions/ comments in the past to Jefferie Siegel and he or Karen were always quick to respond with help.
Bottom line for me is that with Jefferie's vision for the AC family, which includes all sorts of data integrated into one source- is to also encourage a social element where your chosen boating and personal information can be opted to be shared with participating boaters in your marina and that you pass when cruising or the world. Imagine an Aussie ;) having an opportunity to boat in the PNW and from one source he can access any friend, resource, or marina fuel price that he could ever want! And to me- this is where the Siegels might consider putting on their "Marketing" cap. I think if I could wrap my head around the AC Package, and its ability to allow me to present my "data" in an effective and safe manner- I would love having it in my boating arsenal! :)

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Don,
That's the rub for me. I have an eboatcards . I just don't know what to do with it.

Bottom line for me is that with Jefferie's vision for the AC family, which includes all sorts of data integrated into one source- is to also encourage a social element where your chosen boating and personal information can be opted to be shared with participating boaters in your marina and that you pass when cruising or the world.

I suspect you're right. I suspect Jeff assumes people want to be social. We are absolutely NOT, wouldn't occur to us to share info like that (and we'd get no benefit from sharing), so none of that extra eboatstuff seems useful for us.

We do use AC a lot, though, including contributing. (Got the hat.)

-Chris

Reading quite a few good reviews from costal cruisers but how about inland water ways such as TN. and Cumberland Rivers ?

Don,
That's the rub for me. I have an eboatcards . I just don't know what to do with it. And currently there's AC Companion. Patricia and I both have it loaded on our iphones. I believe the idea of ACC is to let you download blocks of charts that you choose (of course each block would use up some memory on your phone) and then be able to access it when you are unable to connect to a cell tower. Unfortunately we were both unsuccessful in downloading even one block. Im sure it's an easy fix- but currently it's just one more thing I gotta get to.
I think the support is great- I've emailed questions/ comments in the past to Jefferie Siegel and he or Karen were always quick to respond with help.
Bottom line for me is that with Jefferie's vision for the AC family, which includes all sorts of data integrated into one source- is to also encourage a social element where your chosen boating and personal information can be opted to be shared with participating boaters in your marina and that you pass when cruising or the world. Imagine an Aussie ;) having an opportunity to boat in the PNW and from one source he can access any friend, resource, or marina fuel price that he could ever want! And to me- this is where the Siegels might consider putting on their "Marketing" cap. I think if I could wrap my head around the AC Package, and its ability to allow me to present my "data" in an effective and safe manner- I would love having it in my boating arsenal! :)

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Yes I believe your right and as my wife and I are Very social I look forward to learning more on AC

I have also email Jeff and Karen and they have shared planss with us that we now see happening

I am still learning though

Agree, love AC but not eboatcards. Don't and won't do Facebook, Twitter, or anything like that. Too much downside. Those who know us understand what we're up to.

Exactly!! Boating/ socializing is not on everybody's agenda. And then some see boating as a very social activity. Most of the time on our boat is solo- no right or wrong. Just would be easy to assume more people are are looking for interaction, and I believe that is not the case for most of us most of the time. And AC is such a premium tool- I wouldn't want to see that function mixed in with so many other options. AC is doing an awesome job, but I would think that the "trawler crowd" are sometimes a bit different than others. Case in point. Me. ;).

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

We are absolutely NOT, wouldn't occur to us to share info like that (and we'd get no benefit from sharing), so none of that extra eboatstuff seems useful for us.
Ditto! Just another chore to deal with when boating. :nonono:

Don,
Patricia and I both have it loaded on our iphones. I believe the idea of ACC is to let you download blocks of charts that you choose (of course each block would use up some memory on your phone) and then be able to access it when you are unable to connect to a cell tower. Unfortunately we were both unsuccessful in downloading even one block. Im sure it's an easy fix- but currently it's just one more thing I gotta get to.

✌️

Forklift
Having chart blocks on my tablet was handy.
The star at the AC page bottom opens a menu... One of which is Download while connected via WiFi (Hi speed helps) you can select a chart block and Download. They do take some time depending on connection speed. Patience is key... Seems like I recall a status msg w %complete while downloading? Your chart should show blocks already downloaded as shaded.

Don
'08MS 34HT
"Bacchus"

Back
Top Bottom