Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
God help me if my Admiral sees that closet!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 80
Kaprice is now 55 years old. She was designed by Bill Garden in the late summer of 1960, and built over the winter in Seattle by Vic Franck. She is Garden design #436. 60' x 17' x 5' draft, 84,000 lbs displacement with 10,000 in ballast. Original power was a Cat D 337F (it might still be in there) which produced about 300HP with the turbocharger. Design speed was 10 knots, just about "hull speed" for a 55' waterline. Planking is 1.5" yellow-cedar on close spaced (10" centers) 1.75" x 2.5" bent oak frames, in NW fashion there are lots of longitudinal stringers inside the frames. Her keel is 5.5" x 11.5" Fir, a surprisingly light structure for so large a boat. But it's held up well, today she looks like she just came out of Franck's shop.....

Her name is now Capella

Kaprice1.jpg

Kaprice2.jpg

Kaprice3.jpg

Kaprice4.jpg

Kaprice5.jpg

Thanks Tad for great information on a Classy Vessel!
What sort of designs are you currently working on (if you are able to share)?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Me thinks she's Johnny Depps but that's just a guess.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440870180.556056.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440870190.169523.jpg

It must have been, Nice Old Boat Nite, on Stoney Creek!

Attachments

• DSCN4995.jpg
    DSCN4995.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 86
It must have been, Nice Old Boat Nite, on Stoney Creek!

There's that one looking nearly exactly like dad's boat in the 1960's/70's... it's in the back here. It was in another pict in earlier post... with "dad's" power boat as feature close-up. :thumb:

WTH is this? High speed Barge/Yacht?

Attachments

• IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 106
WTH is this? High speed Barge/Yacht?

It's a landing craft for transfering equipment/cargo onto a beach where there's no dock. They come pretty big, usually for getting logging equipment ashore on islands in BC.

Hi.

nsail.

We have smaller versions of this landing craft used by the police / emergency services to get over to North Stradbroke island out of hours or when the vehicular ferries have stopped running at night.

They are ideal for that task.

David.

For the Elco fans on the forum, a 1938 cabin cruiser on the hard. Hull restoration is just about done. Top side work will be done overboard.

DSCN1315.jpg

DSCN1310.jpg

DSCN1311.jpg

DSCN1312.jpg

DSCN1313.jpg

Ted

It's a landing craft for transfering equipment/cargo onto a beach where there's no dock. They come pretty big, usually for getting logging equipment ashore on islands in BC.

Actually, I knew it was a landing craft and have no idea why I typed barge. I see them all the time in the PNW.

However, what I've never seen before is a high speed one, or, one that looks that nice (the paint looked perfect wherever I could see it).

Thanks Tad for great information on a Classy Vessel!
What sort of designs are you currently working on (if you are able to share)?

Tad's Facebook page has a recent "concept of the day" sketch of a 32 foot passagemaker. Very interesting, worth a look.

Thanks QB- will take a look.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

This Romsdahl type trawler pulled in behind Blue Sky this morning. Will try to get a better photo once the rain stops.

Had a quick chat with the owner, and we immediately got into a discussion about anchors....

Attachments

• DSC_9519.jpg
    DSC_9519.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 109
Conrad,
Looks like he's missing a bit of planking topside.

You may be right Eric; hard to tell but it almost looks as though that is intentional (not originally though I'd say.) The vessel does need significant work.

They just lost their anchor (caught on the bottom somehow) and so we had the discussion. No lives were lost, no fists flew, and no tempers were lost.

Rocna it is.

Interesting - 2003 boat with 800 hours on her. Nice boat. Doesn't sound like she's underway much. It makes me feel inadequate in so many departments ......

Now that's one tough truck! (Tailgate)

Greetings,
Abuse, abuse...OK fellers. What's YOUR reasoning for the mega swim platform then? I thought I was being quite reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom