Boat Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who needs reality.

52m-Expedition-Yacht-SuRi-to-undergo-refit-and-extension-to-63m.jpg

Oh yeah. One of my favorite boats.

My favorite too but the city not the boat. Love Vancouver and I knew at once when I saw the pic it was Vancouver BC.

Nice day for a cruise today.
Another little historical snapshot of Vancouver for you.
In the early 70s there was a real push on to build commercial space in Vancouver and the "sky scrapers" were born.

The Bentall family put up Bentall 1, 2 and 3 on Burrard.
The Royal Bank, TD and Granville Square.
Eatons moved from Hastings to Georgia and Granville with another black tower to match TD across the street. Eatons of course is where Nordstrom is now.

I've missed a few I'm sure but anyway, all these new towers came with the latest development idea; subterranean malls. Amazing...you could eat and shop all day and never get rained on.

The Cave, Isy's and The Penthouse were long established but with the gold rush of new businesses to downtown and the wild, crazy VSE of the day, "clubs" sprang up all over the new business district. Oilcan Harry's, Sneaky Pete's, Pink Pussycat, Baceda's and The Smilin' Buddah to name a few where all kinds of "fun" stuff went on. The business lunch came to town.

So, what has all this got to do with West's "Nice day" post?
Well, up above the bow, beyond the treetops you see a mushroom thing. That is Harbour Centre built atop the old Eatons store on Hastings. When it was built it was the tallest building in Vancouver. For a few months.

The Scotia tower at Granville and Georgia was up next and took the crown for tallest.

Not to be outdone the folks at Harbour Centre built a big spike, hired a chopper and stuck it on top of the revolving restaurant.

Bingo. Number one again.

Attachments

• Hastings & Columbia '58.jpg
    Hastings & Columbia '58.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 68
In the picture you can see the sign for the Western Sports Centre. It was an upstairs poker room, where as an SFU student I would go play poker against the old men - now I are one. They played so tight that you could ruin their minds by being crazy one hand, then tighter than them for the next ten. It paid for my club house sandwiches. ;-)

There was a purity to the town then, that has become a hell's kitchen for immigration and the offshore China uber-rich, with mindless residential growth in thrall to their burgeoning new wealth that overwhelms local scale. But 50 years will bring those changes, and all that great food!!

Not to be outdone the folks at Harbour Centre built a big spike, hired a chopper and stuck it on top of the revolving restaurant.
Bingo. Number one again.

I don't think an antenna makes a building, if that was the case an outhouse on top of Cypress Mountain would win :D

Either way, it's a medium sized skyscraper compared to the 62 storey Shangri la and others.

Still lots of clubs/bars downtown, just different names now.

There was a purity to the town then, that has become a hell's kitchen for immigration and the offshore China uber-rich, with mindless residential growth in thrall to their burgeoning new wealth that overwhelms local scale. But 50 years will bring those changes, and all that great food!!

No question the Asian influence has transformed the city, jury is out if for the better thought.

Attachments

• coal harbour (3).jpg
    coal harbour (3).jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 97
Years ago when immigration from Hong Kong to Vancouver was really ramping up we were refueling our Beaver at Minstrel Island, which at the time had a resort that sold avgas. A Harbour Air Twin Otter came in to drop off some passengers and I asked the pilots where they'd come in from. Their reply was one I hadn't heard yet. "Hongcouver," they answered. Don't know if that term is still in use but it seemed appropriate at the time.

Years ago when immigration from Hong Kong to Vancouver was really ramping up we were refueling our Beaver at Minstrel Island, which at the time had a resort that sold avgas. A Harbour Air Twin Otter came in to drop off some passengers and I asked the pilots where they'd come in from. Their reply was one I hadn't heard yet. "Hongcouver," they answered. Don't know if that term is still in use but it seemed appropriate at the time.
You do NOT want to get me started.
It's why I am no longer overlooking Quayside Marina in Yaletown.

This guy must have been flying at over 40 knots.

Attachments

• DSC_9988.jpg
    DSC_9988.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 139
A Harbour Air Twin Otter came in to drop off some passengers and I asked the pilots where they'd come in from. Their reply was one I hadn't heard yet. "Hongcouver," they answered. Don't know if that term is still in use but it seemed appropriate at the time.

You guys are missing the big picture; you and your families were immigrants once too.

I was in a mall in Richmond (next to Vancouver) a few years ago, and noticed I was the only person of European decent there...everybody else was of Asian decent. The first thought that came to my mind was, "Oh, so this is how First Nations people feel".

You're a mass of knowledge and information, Tad. She reminds me a bit of Maverick, a yacht advertised here on TF a couple of years ago.

Funny, I was tied up next to Maverick in Port Orchard this past weekend. Fascinating boat.

Marty.................

I would feel pretty relieved after that Pacific crossing :whistling:

Attachments

• container ship.jpg
    container ship.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Lake Pleasant, AZ, Nov 10, 2015 on our Boston Whaler 13'. 78*, no wind, no clouds, beached in a secluded cove and just relaxing. Life is good.

img_386767_0_63d8a9be700ab18ef475663dffc014a6.jpg

West,
I lived in the West End Vancouver some time ago. I remember the address .. 1831 Robson st. Was on the east side of the street 1/2 a block no. of Denman Place. Was on the 5th floor east side so had a good view. I can hardly wait to get back up there and eat at a specific Korean resturant.

Back
Top Bottom