Therapy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeez guys, lighten up.*Nobody is disagreeing with you on how nice the PNW is.
We're just making passing comments that some of us would like to be on a warm sunny beach on a cold winter day. That's all. No indictment of where you live or the pro's and con's of living in Hawaii.*Some people like sunny weather and some don't.

Do you guys think that when I move back north that I should enclose my bimini top on the dinghy with Isenglass?

caribe-dinghy-003.jpg

Woodsong said.....

"One should really only need 2 pairs of shoes. Anything more than this and life is too complicated and (at least for me) being lived in the wrong latitude. Those shoes should be: A) A pair of every day flip flops. B) A pair of dress flip flops for church on Sundays and formal gatherings. So far, I have yet to find a flaw in my theory. smile"

One might suggest, drop out the church bit, and you'd only need one pair of flip flops, which we call thongs, and NZers call Jandals. However, medically speaking they are not good for your feet, better to be bare-footed, so in the end you need none at all going by that reasoning.....maybe that's the flaw in Tony's theory....? Oh maybe one set of reef shoes would be good...?

As to Marin not missing Hawaii - I can relate to that. We live a short drive from both the Gold Coast (South of us 90Kms) and Noosa (North of us 150Kms) - both regarded as prime tourist destinations, and I like to visit them occasionally, but live there - no way. Hawaii is like a giant version of those places I understand.
Living somewhere more ordinary is more relaxing and yet motivates one to go to different places for the novelty.

Sunset at Coochiemudlo Island, Moreton Bay

-- Edited by Peter B on Saturday 8th of January 2011 11:25:59 PM

Attachments

• image009.jpg
    image009.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 77
Living and working on the boat can be good therapy even during the 9 months*of rain in the PNW.* Relaxing just reading and listening to music with the rain pounding down on the roof.* The 3 weeks of summer is the best sitting out in the sweltering 80+ degree sun drying out the boat and putting so color on the Lilly white skin.*
aww.gif
There is just something knowing the boat is bone dry, warm and everything works because you made it happen.* I enjoy enjoy working down in the engine room as its carpeted, piped in music and 65+ degrees, and I enjoy the hours of maintaining the bright teak trim, rails and deck. **So why live on the dirt when you can live on a boat?
confuse.gif

In the summer we get the most beautiful sun sets in the world with the sun going down and how it makes the rain clouds the color of organ, blue and grey over the white cap Olympic Mountains. We have several pictures and paintings hung around the boat which match the teak wood and the décor. **Just across the rive from the Everett Marina is Jetty Island all sand with shallow water that goes out about ½ mile.* Many days take the dink to walking, blob my*ass and toes in the sand and watching the wild life as many times there are whale off the island, eagles and other sea animals.* In between the rain and storms of course.***
hmm.gif

How can you go with only two pair of shoes?* I have dozens and that is still not enough!* Shoot, in tennis shoes, I have 5 pair, then there is sandals, dress and boots.* But shopping is relaxing exercise and therapy*as not having the right pair of shoes can be stressful.
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Sunday 9th of January 2011 10:28:03 AM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Sunday 9th of January 2011 10:33:04 AM

Phil Fill wrote:

Living and working on the boat can be good therapy even during the9 months are rain in the PNW.* There is something relaxing just reading and listening to music with the rain bounding down on the roof.* The 3 weeks of summer is the best sitting out in the sweltering 80+ degree sun drying our the boat and putting so color on the Lilly white skin.* There is just something knowing the boat is bone dry, warm and everything works because you made it happen.* I enjoy checking and working down in the engine room as its carpeted, piped in music and 65+ degrees, and I enjoy the hours of maintaining the bright teak trim, rails and deck. **So why live on the dirt when you can live on a boat?
confuse.gif

In the summer we get the most beautiful sun sets in the world with then sun going down and how it makes the clouds the color of organ, blue and grey over the white cap Olympic Mountains. We have several pictures and paintings hung around the boat which match the teak wood and the décor. **Just across the rive from the Everett Marina is JettyIsland all sand with shallow water that goes out about ½ mile.* Many days taking the dink to walking, blob my but and toes in the sand and watching the wild life as many times there are whale off the island, eagles and other sea animals.* In between the rain and storms of course.* *
You get it Phil Fill.* To paraphrase a lady that I think said it best, life can be simpler on a boat, but in such a magnificant way.* That sums it up in few words.

I also love to be inside the boat warm and dry with rain or wind surrounding me.* the fact that you are so close to nature on a boat is a wonderful thing.* Inside our homes we are so insulated from nature.* On a boat we are in the midst of it.

I seem to be one of the few people that likes to walk in the rain.* A warm dry slicker can give a similar effect.* This seems to be controversial today, but I see nature as God's handiwork.

I think that one of the big draws to a boat.. especially a cruising boat is that if you don't like the place you are at the moment.... you can go somewhere else. The snow birds do it in motor homes ( and I used to make fun of them but I am starting to understand it more ). As a desert kid this time of year in the PNW really starts to get old.... yes I live in a great place... I have a unobstructed view of the Olympic Range as I type.... but the cold, dreary, wet starts to get old. We spent two years chasing the summers back and forth across the Pacific and that never got old... but the view was always changing!.* Yesterday the talking weather heads ranted on about the coming snow and cold here in the PNW.... we spent part of the day looking at sail boats ( don't give me any guff about that.... we go both ways! ) in Seattle.... needless to say we didn't need to wait to speak to yacht brokers.... the docks were empty.* we are in the stages of long range planning .... we will keep a boat in the Caribbean and spend 7 mos. of so down there ( winter ) and the summers up here... the best of both worlds!.
Looking at boats yesterday was as good as planning a trip to the sun on a snowy day...
That's therapy..
HOLLYWOOD

Marin wrote:

Don't be. You would be amazed at how many people from the mainland move to Hawaii thinking it will be this utopia with wonderful weather, and within a few years they move back to the mainland.

We knew someone that moved to Hawaii several years ago and quickly returned. One thing that may not be that widely known is the amount of rampant racism and discrimination that still exists there. If you are not a native Hawaiian, good luck getting a job or being treated like anything but a second-class citizen.
ANYWAY... back to the point of the thread... Thanks for all the pics, but I somehow find it less comforting than I had hoped
wink.gif

Peter B:

It is a bit of a stretch to say the coasts above and below Brisbane are like Hawaii. Climate, geology, terrain, golf, surfing, prevailing winds, native culture, vegetation, animals, bugs and fish are very different when comparing the two. Not that one place is better or worse, they are just very, very different. It is kind of like saying the PNW is like New England. Some on this forum would agree I'm sure with the latter comparison. Can a resort or homeowner on the Gold Coast*own*the beaches and restrict access?

Gonzo:

You are correct, do not come to Hawaii looking for a job, unless you have specific skills which are much in demand or hard to find on the Islands. Discrimination, hardly. Just good sense to hire your brother in law. And all the natives are related it seems. Last night I went to a show at the Hyatt - it was a troupe of Russian "circus" performers with a few Hula girls and gymnast locals thrown in. The Hawaiians were able to do something to Capt Cook the Australian natives were reluctant to do - ripped out his heart. Don't mess with the locals.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Sunday 9th of January 2011 11:31:43 AM

Our little sun worshipper enjoying a hot summer's day in Fossil Bay, Sucia Island WA

Attachments

• dscn0916.jpg
    dscn0916.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 70
Back to my original comment, today is another cold January day with no boating.*
You PNW folks might want to look the other way.* All things considered,*I'd rather be where this guy is.** KJ*

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 9th of January 2011 06:19:44 PM

Bill, I did some diving in Belize at Turneffe Atoll a couple of years ago.*
Simply phenomenal.**Wouldn't mind being there now.*** KJ

Turneffe Atoll, Belize

Belize

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 9th of January 2011 01:55:58 PM

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 9th of January 2011 03:44:33 PM

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 9th of January 2011 04:03:53 PM

Bill,I live in Alaska and I've been thinking for some time about going to Belize. I hope to see pics. I have a book on Belize and will try to find you on a map. If you've ever driven through Mexico to Belize I'd like your take on that. Ideally I'd like a bungalow, a OB skiff and a couple of kayaks for about 3 months of the winter. One rarely gets utopia though.

belizebill wrote:

I live out on Caye Caulker
Nice place to live.*I have a friend that worked at one of the dive shops on Caye Caulker.
I've been meaning to get down to Sapodilla Cayes and Gladden Spit for some whale shark diving.
Do you keep a boat down there?* Do you*dive?** KJ*

KJ, that looks like Foxy's dock on Jost Van Dyke...* Am I right?

Been there many times, and now that we own our own boat we can't afford it any more!

Woody

Absolutley right.* Heaven on earth.***

Foxy's Bar** Jost Van Dyke BVI

Foxy Rymer

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 9th of January 2011 07:50:22 PM

GonzoF1 wrote:One thing that may not be that widely known is the amount of rampant racism and discrimination that still exists there. If you are not a native Hawaiian, good luck getting a job or being treated like anything but a second-class citizen.

First sentence is right, second sentence is dead wrong.* It's actually the other way round.* The "native" Hawaiians are very near the bottom of the economic scale and other than a more recent move toward trying to get "reparations" like the native tribes and blacks on the mainland, they are still at or near the bottom of the economic scale.* This was true in 1955 when we moved over there, it was true in 1979 when I left, and according to people I used to work with who have just recently moved to the PNW, it is still true today.

The "scale" in Hawaii goes like this, from the top down.

1. Chinese-Americans who actually own everything-- land, companies, banks, etc.

2.* Caucasians (haoles) who manage and run everything.

3.* Japanese-Americans who do everything in terms of office jobs, store clerks, broadcast engineers, etc.

4.* When I lived there the Filipinos were moving up the social scale as their position as the agricultural labor force was filled by Portuguese.* Agriculture is almost completely gone now, so I'm not sure today where the Filipinos and Portuguese sit on the economic and social scale.* Probably about even with the Japanese-Americans I'm guessing.

5.* Samoans.* Hawaii has a large Samoan population.* They were the "tough" ones who you don''t mess with or go into their neighborhoods at night.* The ones who work tend to have menial jobs.* When I lived there they had an absolute lock on the palm tree trimming business.* This is a major industry in Hawaii because palm trees on public property cannot achieve maturity with their coconuts because of the extreme danger to people below if the the coconuts start to fall.* So the coconuts have to be removed manually and given the vast number of them and the year-round growing season, trimming them a full-time profession.* The business is pretty lucrative and when I was there anyone who was not Samoan and who tried to get in on this business simpy "disappeared."* But outside of the tree-trimming work, Samoans didn't do much.

6.* Hawaiians.* The people who can trace their roots back to the Hawaiians who inhabited the islands first enjoy a very high social status because the islands' history is much revered by everyone.* But they were at the absolute bottom of the economic scale and from what I hear still are as a generality.* There are a number of reasons for this.

Obviously people from these six "groups" marry each other and their kids reflect all sorts of things.* So the common term for describing anyone who wasn't obvioulsy a caucasian (called haole over there, which is the Hawaiian word for white) is "local."** It's not a derogatory term, it's a way of physically describing somebody.* "He's a local guy," means that he's not a haole.

In the broader context "local" means an established resident.* So if your friend's statement is modified to read, "If you are not a local, good luck getting a job...." that is correct.* "Local" includes everyone listed above.* And your friend is correct in that, for the most part, locals automatically don't like newcomers.* Obviously a newcomer can live there long enough to earn "local" status at which point they are one and will dislike the newcomers as much as all the other locals.

And of course the absolute bottom of the barrel are tourists.* It's ironic that the same people who today provide the bulk of the state's income (they didn't when I first moved there, the military did) are the most despised people on the planet in Hawaii.* The locals aren't stupid--- they treat the tourists nice to their faces (usually) because they know what pays the bills.* But outside of that, tourists are despised with a ferocity you have to experience to believe.* I and the people I worked with in television were no different.

So... melting pot of the Pacific, as the Hawaii Visitor's Bureau used to say, it ain't.

Alternative Therapy**** At last-- blue skies and sunshine, but still pretty cold.
As the once great Zen Master ObiWan Kenobi said "two*out of three ain't bad".

Strawberry Flats, Sierra Nevada Mts,* 1/10/11

-- Edited by KJ on Monday 10th of January 2011 10:58:26 PM

And why not the Swiss Alps in late October 2010 in the comfort of a train?

ry%3D400

Love those stone-arch bridges!

An Adriatic/Mediterranean Sea and Atlantic Ocean*cruise (Venice to New York)*followed shortly!

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 10th of January 2011 11:13:20 PM

Marin wrote:

Where's the ocean?
It's about 80 miles to the west.* They call it San Francisco Bay, a beautiful place.*

KJ wrote:

Marin wrote:

Where's the ocean?
It's about 80 miles to the west.* They call it San Francisco Bay, a beautiful place.*

No, doesn't count.* It's south of the Oregon border.* Our boat spent it's whole life in San Francisco Bay until we liberated it in 1998.* To this day every time we get on the boat it thanks us profusely for taking it out of that hell-hole.* It's becoming embarrassing.

Marin wrote:

KJ wrote:

Marin wrote:

Where's the ocean?

No, doesn't count.* It's south of the Oregon border.* Our boat spent it's whole life in San Francisco Bay until we liberated it in 1998.* To this day every time we get on the boat it thanks us profusely for taking it out of that hell-hole.* It's becoming embarrassing.

There are some members of this forum that live in the San Francisco Bay area.* I think you owe them an apology.* No one is showing such disrespect for your living area.* I'm sure these folks are quite happy and proud of where they live.* It's seems like you have to debate every topic that comes up and find someway to put a negative spin on it. It gets old real fast.* The San Francisco Bay area has some very beautiful places. I don't think you have the right to call someones else's residence a "hell-hole".

I have driven down here to Belize, from Sarasota ,Florida. I would not do it right now because of all the violence in the north.

Attachments

• my front yard 001.jpg
    my front yard 001.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 76
I have a 26 C.C. and I dive and fish alot. Going back to Fla. in Feb. to look over several Trawler sedans to bring down here. Been looking for a year on line,now its time to walk some docks. Bill

belizebill,Nothing better than walk'in docks.

Belizebill

You must have your directions confused. The real violence is South and West of you. The violent crime rate in Belize is over twice that of Mexico and your chances of being a victim of police corruption is also greater in Belize. It's just a much smaller country.

Willy

before you consider Belize, do some serious study.

The murder rate in Belize is over 6 times that of the US and it has some of the most restrictive gun possession laws in the Caribbean. Prohibition of flare guns and bullet proof vests is now before the National Assembly.

Drug use and sale is rampant.

Belize is by far the most expensive country in Central America and one of the most expensive in the Caribbean.

Police corruption is a way of life.

Infrastructure is non-existent.

Beef is terrible but fish is great.

Beer is terrible and expensive.

The educational system is abysmal.

Unless you live in a bunker, you can not live in Belize part-time without a caretaker. The philosophy generally is " you have it, I want it so it is OK to take it."

Of course most of the above is no different than most of the rest of Central America or the Caribbean.

Now the good parts:

Rum is cheap in all respects.

From one of the finest beaches in Belize in front of my house, within a 15 min. drive I can be in a savannah, jungle and and mountain waterfalls.

The people, in general, are wonderful especially the older generation. A good number of the younger generation are thugs, *thieves and druggies.

It is a beautiful diverse country.

You can actually own property as a foreigner.

Taxes are almost non-existent. The property taxes on my beachfront 5000 sqft home are USD $16/yr.

I do not regret building in Belize, but if I were doing it again today I would seriously consider Mexico or Honduras.

Hiya,
** Mr. BB.* Is that your dock or the one in front of Chocolate's dive shop?* It DOES appear to be on front street.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom