Warranty work expectations??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waterford

Vessel Name
Waterford
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
Last summer I had an injector pump issue and it needed service. My regular mechanic was not available so I went to Pettit Marine here in Olympia WA. They removed the pump, sent it to Seattle Injector and replaced it. Now, the pump has failed again. Seattle Injector will honor their warranty but Pettit says I must pay again to remove and replace. I'm not going to fall on my sword over this, but it seems odd to me. Am I wrong to expect them to do this without charge?

I'd feel better about paying it, but my customer experience with them has been problematic from the start.

Thanks.

Did the pump fail for the second time because of workmanship of the installer?
If no than why should they pay?
Did the pump fail because of the re builder?
Dose your boat have an issue that is making the injector pump go bad?

Most shops will not warranty re built parts or parts that you buy. The shop was not able to mark up the parts to cover warranty work.

Seattle Injector is honoring their warranty and replacing the pump. There are doing that because their warranty covers probably defects in material and workmanship.

Pettit Marine has nothing to warranty. Nobody is claiming a defect in Pettit's workmanship.

So...

I would pay Pettitt Marine for theiir labor hours to R&R the injector pump.

Agree with Kevin and Choppywater. It was no fault of the install from what was said.

Good points all. I'm converted. Thanks.

Well, I might disagree. How much did Pettit mark up Seattle's price. If it was more than a nominal 5% and it could be as much as 40%, then I think that Pettit should do the R&R work for free.

That is the only justification for high markups. It is insurance against having to redo the work when the outside supplier fails.

So I would ask to look at Seattle's invoice.

David

An ill-fitting part on my new John Deere leaked oil and needed to be replaced. JD replaced the part but the warranty didn't cover labor for removal and installation.

Well, I might disagree. How much did Pettit mark up Seattle's price. If it was more than a nominal 5% and it could be as much as 40%, then I think that Pettit should do the R&R work for free.

That is the only justification for high markups. It is insurance against having to redo the work when the outside supplier fails.

David

:thumb: When we first bought Hobo I had a mechanic show me around the FL SP135. In the process it was decided to get the injectors done. I said to Clyde, the mechanic, I can get them done or you can. He said he would do it. Four of the six injectors had the wrong tips after they were rebuilt. We had moved Hobo from Everett to Bellingham. I removed the injectors, rented a car, Lena drove to Seattle Injector (I'm not making this up) and they fixed/tested the injectors. I reinstalled the injectors and sent Clyde a bill for the car rental, gas and a new valve cover gasket. All he did was complain and bitch. I told him if I done it, he would have been out of the picture. Two weeks later we got a check from Seattle Injector and I let a few people know about Clyde's bad attitude.

I hired Clyde to do a job not Seattle Injector. Because he had a problem with "his" subcontractor, that he made money on, I was holding him responsible.

Here's a recent experience that I would like some opinions on.

I had a generator problem. My electronics guy was walking down the dock and I asked for his help. He told me that he can work on the electrical end of the unit but not the engine end. He spent about 45 minutes trouble shooting and told me that I need a new circuit board. Since he was extremely busy he said he could call a friend of his who specializes in generators to do the job. I said fine and he called his friend and put me on the phone with him.

The next day the generator guy arrived and spent an hour repeating all the trouble shooting. He then told me it was the circuit board (surprise). He suggested I obtain the board and he would come back to install it. I obtained the board and he installed it.

Now the bills roll in. The first guy billed me for trouble shooting. Then the second guy billed me for trouble shooting also. So, I'm billed twice for the same outcome. Then the second guy bills me for mileage (2 round trips) and travel time for 2 round trips.

Does anyone think that guy #2 should have told me on the phone that he comes from 35 miles away and bills mileage plus travel time? Should he have told me he doesn't trust his friends conclusion and needs to trouble shoot everything again?

I can understand him wanting to confirm the diagnosis for himself but the travel time and mileage charges strike me as unfair without telling me in advance.

What do you all think?

The definition of hours worked is summarised as "any time you could not spend doing something else"

If he cannot bill his time to someone else because he was busy doing something for you (in this case driving) he is charging you for his time.

I would not accept someone elses troubleshooting enough to buy parts. Simply because if that person is wrong, who buys the parts?

All that said, trouble results when the customer does not know the billling practices of the service provider.

In my opinion, you are both somewhat at fault, he more so for the lack of communication. All this could have been easily avoided if A. He had explained his billing practices up front, or B you had asked. I again, fault him much more than you but communication is the key to service provider happiness.

Last summer I had an injector pump issue and it needed service. My regular mechanic was not available so I went to Pettit Marine here in Olympia WA. They removed the pump, sent it to Seattle Injector and replaced it. Now, the pump has failed again. Seattle Injector will honor their warranty but Pettit says I must pay again to remove and replace. I'm not going to fall on my sword over this, but it seems odd to me. Am I wrong to expect them to do this without charge?

I'd feel better about paying it, but my customer experience with them has been problematic from the start.

Thanks.

I think Seattle Injector should pay for the labor. I do not think Pettit should have to. However, if I was Pettit and Seattle Injector refused to then I would do it for no charge. By the way, what did your contract/agreement/work order with Pettit say about warranty?

Now within this thread another topic has arisen regarding billing and charges for trouble shooting and travel and other surprises. Don't have someone do work for you without an agreement, either written or confirmed in writing. Even email or text. Something. It's also unprofessional for the provider not to tell you how you'll be charged. Conduct business as a good businessman. Lack of clear contractual arrangements lead to misunderstandings and disputes. Contracts are not for the purpose of winning in court, but for avoiding it, avoiding that need. You ask someone to do something on your boat, you know there's going to be a charge. Why wouldn't you ask the rate up front? Why wouldn't he tell you?

David

That's dead on in my book. Patricia has always paid her salary in our small business with the parts mark-up. And absolutely- the only real reason to mark up a part is to cover a repair (and possibly with open terms- using your money). So for the profit we charge, we as a service provider need to choose wisely on who we use as vendors. He needs to pony up the labor.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

From reading your first post it looks like it had worked for approximately a year before the second failure. If that is the case, I would not feel the labor should be covered at all. If it was just 30 days or less then maybe....
As far as charging for hours traveled, that is common practice in our area. Every mechanic I have had charged for travel time. I always ask about what they charge and for what before they come. At least I know how far to bend over then. :)

Thanks.
" They removed the pump and sent it to Seattle Injector and replaced it"

Sounds like a Contractor who subbed out the work needed to rebuild the unit. If in the context of the work order it was warranted and they did not identify in writing that the labor to replace said item while under warrantee was not covered, I'd hold them to it.
After many years as a contractor, if I sent the item out for rebuild, marked up the price (no matter the percentage) and it failed during the warrantee period, I had to eat it. That's good business.

Good luck!

From reading your first post it looks like it had worked for approximately a year before the second failure. If that is the case, I would not feel the labor should be covered at all. If it was just 30 days or less then maybe....

I missed the time line and I agree. I would be happy that Seattle Injector warrants a rebuild at a year.

After my experience with Seattle Injector and the ops, I will say they seem to step up to the plate.

I missed the time line and I agree. I would be happy that Seattle Injector warrants a rebuild at a year.

After my experience with Seattle Injector and the ops, I will say they seem to step up to the plate.

I missed the time line as well. Huge factor in all this. If it was over a year and you had most of the cost covered, then sounds like you did just fine.

That's true... but from a warranty standpoint the repair shop is not liable for a failure after a year IMO. In reality- a problem still existed. Sup par initial repair, poor fuel, extended service intervals, improper installation- the list goes on.
But as a guide, for me- I expect the "re manufactured" part to have at least 75% (run time) of the service life that it enjoyed initially. This is provided the component was installed/ timed correctly, fuel filters/water separators addressed along with the fuel lines.
Exceptions are where a customer is shown a worn part this is at or past stated wear limits and the customer and shop agree to reuse said part without the benefit of a warranty.
I yield the floor... ;)

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I appreciate all the discussion and ideas. To clarify, the work was done last November and I've added about 30 hours to the engine since the service. There is no stated warranty on pettits work.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom