Busy Docks in Ottawa on the Rideau Canal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

windled

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
The Emerald
Vessel Make
Silverton 31C
This the busiest I have seen to docks in Downtown Ottawa on the Rideau Canal.

It's a noisy, dirty place to moor, but pretty cool that you are smack in the middle of downtown of the capital of Canada...

Attachments

• Busy docks downtown.jpg
    Busy docks downtown.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 143
One of these years, I'll make that trip.

This the busiest I have seen to docks in Downtown Ottawa on the Rideau Canal.

It's a noisy, dirty place to moor, but pretty cool that you are smack in the middle of downtown of the capital of Canada...

The joys of being in a large city.
If you want a vibrant downtown you get noise.
Close the hatches turn on the AC and enjoy the sites. It's a great spot.

Goes to show the difference in population between our two countries, were that any given US city, let alone the Capital, the boats would be lined up & down both sides of the canal and rafted two deep.

Going to be doing the Triangle look next year. This will be one of the stops.

That was where we were "cut loose" during the night. Suggest tieing from boat thru cleat ashore and back to boat...that way anyone messing around has to board the boat. We do this regularly if area is unknown or questionable. It seems to be enough to discourage pranks... or at least they move on to other easier targets.
Don
'08 MS. 34 HT
"Bacchus"

Just as a tidbit of info I got an email from LeBoat (canal boat rentals in Europe) and they are considering opening up a rentals facility in either NY canals or the Rideau canal. Of course I told them yes on their survey.
Are there any other rental companies in either area?

Are there any other rental companies in either area?
YES
Midlakes Navigation is the longest operating one I'm aware of on NY canals. Ther are a few others now... all rent canal boats reminuscent of the old canal boats. Fairly comfy for a family or 2 couples.

The Rideau has had more house biat rentals on the middle or lakes region... not sure in Ottawa.

Don
'08 MS 34 HT
"Bacchus"

Folivier asked, "Are there any other rental companies in either area?"

I have chartered from Midlakes in Skaneateles, picked up in Macedon. Clean, well-maintained boat, responsive folks - recommend.

We stayed out at Dow's lake pavilion and bicycled into town. The only problem we had was a late night visit from a racoon. Beautiful place, Ottawa. By the time you face these locks, you should have your routine down.
OttawaLocks2.jpg

Dale,
We must have just missed you. We were tied to the wall for a week and went down the locks on Aug 17th. We loved the city, walking to watch the Changing of the Guard, the laser show on Parliament and the fireworks. We locked a cable from our boat through a cleat.
Having power on the wall is a big help. Unfortunately, the city removed fresh water access.
One night about 1:30am, we had a person board our boat. I heard him on the back deck and surprised him. He leapt off our top deck onto the floating dock - lucky he didn't break his leg.
The Rideau canal was our favorite part of the Triangle Loop.

Hey Henry, were you travelling the Erie Canal with a KK Manatee named Happy Clamz earlier this summer? I saw you at Sylvan Beach, then at Brewerton, then I spent the night down the wall from you at Baldwinsville. I was wondering If I'd see you on here.

Dave...yep, that was us.

Locking down

What a small world. Neat video. That's a lot of tiny little locks!

Dale,
We must have just missed you. We were tied to the wall for a week and One night about 1:30am, we had a person board our boat. I heard him on the back deck and surprised him. He leapt off our top deck onto the floating dock - lucky he didn't break his leg.

Yes that also happened to us and another boat when we were there in '13. If the wife had not blocked me from getting out of the boat...well let's just leave it at that.:whistling:
They do it to take pictures I found out later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom