Meeting people....Not a day goes by.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heron

Guru
Vessel Name
Heron (2)
Vessel Make
'88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
it seems that we don't meet some interesting boat people when on the water. This weekend we took a short trip to Bath NC and moored at the State dock...Sunday morning a gentleman stopped by who lives 2 weeks out of the month on his homebuilt 34' sailboat at the adjacent marina. The other 2 weeks he heads to Charlotte to care for his 95 year old mother. He brought us Blueberries! We had a fascinating chat..
A bunch of Dolphins frolic'd around our boat when anchored out in Bath creek Sat. afternoon.

On the way home Sunday we helped tow in a homebuilt 20 ft 2 masted skiff who had run out of wind. He built it out of Oak and Mahogany. He and his daughter were 3 miles from the ramp and rowing! He's thinking of moving from NH, and I had some local info on job opportunities in his Pharmaceutical specialty.

Later, back in Washington we met Captain Jeff who runs the 85' "Belle of Washington"
http://www.thebelleofwashingtoncruises.com/
dinner cruise boat and helps out on the Jeanie B (a 72' steel schooner berthed right next to us) on the weekends. http://www.jeanieb.com/

. Always fun to see the people that come for a 2 hour sailing tour of the upper Pamlico. Then an older gentleman passing through on a Pilgrim 40 from Texas stopped by to chat. There was a nice Selene out of Florida docked for the weekend too..

Always interesting, always fun. We've met a lot of nice people now that we're back on the water...

Heron at the State dock in Bath:

20150829_180708-vi.jpg

The Admiral, keeping an eye on me! ( I do need constant supervision!)
20150829_180542-vi.jpg

This retirement thing seems to be working out...

We moor right next to the Jeanie B..

sunset-at-washington-harbor.jpg

Last edited:
People engage so easily around boats. Probably wouldn't speak on the street.

I like the scene ashore behind Heron, what is that?

Hawgwash....Bath is a charming and historic small town. The oldest incorporated town in NC., site of the first library, and where Blackbeard the Pirate lived for a time. Lovely waterfront homes along the creek (like the one in the picture)..The state dock is right in the heart of the historic district (about 3 blocks long) and free for overnighting.
Here's a wider shot of the state dock from shore during an earlier voyage with the marina in the background....

http://www.nchistoricsites.org/bath/

20150404_151312-vi.jpg

20150404_150543-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. I just hit the satellite and see what a nice area you have. Pretty busy I bet though.

The red building, is that a private home?

Thanks Steve. I just hit the satellite and see what a nice area you have. Pretty busy I bet though.

The red building, is that a private home?

Actually not busy at all....Boaters don't seem to cruise much here...Mostly fisherman out for the day. We can do the 3 hours from Washington to Bath during the week and never see another boat! On a weekend, maybe a handful of sailboats and a few runabouts. My wife and I are always amazed at this since it's such a beautiful area to boat..We're used to the Chesapeake where there was always boat activity.
Yes, the red house is a private residence on the creek...

We've been to Bath a half dozen times and only on 2 occasions was there another boat moored there on the State Dock..

Last edited:
We meet people at docks on a regular basis also, both other boaters and locals out strolling the docks. I generally enjoy these spontaneous conversations very much. In fact if I see someone checking out our boat I'll usually offer them to come aboard and see the inside.

A few years ago, while in Cape May, we struck up a conversation from our transom with a couple on Kayaks. They swung by later with a beautiful photography book of the area for us.

We meet people at docks on a regular basis also, both other boaters and locals out strolling the docks. I generally enjoy these spontaneous conversations very much. In fact if I see someone checking out our boat I'll usually offer them to come aboard and see the inside.

I know what you mean....We are just 2 slips out from the Washington Waterfront Promenade... People watching is always interesting!

During a recent Waterfront festival, the view and people watching opportunities were priceless...

It's normally pretty calm, but the occasional weekend festivals are fun..

20150612_202456-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom