Therapy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Man, talk about the January blues.* Need some EYE CANDY therapy.
Just keep saying, "it's gotta be warm somewhere"
Scottie, beam me there.**** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Saturday 8th of January 2011 09:51:17 AM

Trust me, after the bizarre sequence of events that was today, I am 100% in agreement with you! I cannot wait for warm weather and good time!!! I am ready to unplug my computer for a while but then...what would you all do without me?

Anyway....back on topic. Let's not hijack this particular thread as the topic is TOO important! Mostly pics from our previous boat...sorry not a trawler. :)
img_36354_0_ff76ac7e7eeeabfb3711e54e64d20b05.jpg

img_36354_1_002eabd0f62742f1107461f27560c064.jpg

img_36354_2_5d110417d121f9e9f39c0627a70fe405.jpg

img_36354_3_2be02ba14d33cb662053af1329d8728e.jpg

img_36354_4_f7b455211a04157820ce8e999af8fe7a.jpg

img_36354_5_67acc2cfb642b32d90f242b3f1c62e86.jpg

I don't like the tropics.**Boating among mountains is more inspiring.

232323232%7Ffp53842%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B2%3A286%3B8336nu0mrj

Tony

I'll see your no trawler and raise you a couple of hammocks and a couple of*islands!**
KJ*

KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Saturday 8th of January 2011 09:56:01 AM

-- Edited by KJ on Saturday 8th of January 2011 09:58:40 AM

-- Edited by KJ on Saturday 8th of January 2011 11:50:05 AM

-- Edited by KJ on Saturday 8th of January 2011 11:52:22 AM

I'm with Mark. I grew up in Hawaii. Almost 30 years of geographic and environmental boredom. If I never see the sun again it won't bother me. The same weather day after day is boring beyond belief.

As far as I'm concerned the US south of the southern Oregon border, east of the Mississippi River, and Hawaii can be given back to whoever had it first.

Attachments

• 07-government dock.jpg
    07-government dock.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 14-denman peak.jpg
    14-denman peak.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 77
Tsk, Tsk** you could have posted your pictures without the negativity.* Sometimes it's nice to enjoy things for what they are, just pictures, not meant for a judgemental statement.** Lighten up.**

I've been in Maui for 3 days, 10 more to go. I will suffer this place given the Salt Lake City weather of late. Today was whale watching day.* A humpback got within a few feet of our vessel today and stayed there for about 15 minutes. Great fun.

I'm so jealous!

Looks like you're doing a great job "guarding" the beach!

I see Marin and I enjoy the same cruising grounds.

Attachments

• melanie cove.jpg
    melanie cove.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 79
It looks like you are enjoying lots of sunshine and blue skies.

No point in taking photos of the bad days, better forgotten doing other things.

Marin Wrote:

"If I never see the sun again it won't bother me."

Sounds like Late Stage LDS to me. Unfortunately there is not a cure for someone so*severely afflicted.

LDS was discovered by a rump group of scientists studying the Stockholm Syndrome. A Zen person might posit that Marin has become one with gloom, rain and fog.

I'm actually envious of Marin, growing up in Hawaii.* I grew up in New Jersey and froze my butt off many, many winters.* Now I feel the cold of winter*down to my bones.* Yeah, I much prefer the warmth of the sun.

-- Edited by KJ on Saturday 8th of January 2011 11:39:26 AM

The most isolated archepilego on this planet does not exactly equal "environmental boredom"....but to each their own...

KJ wrote:

You know the WEIRD thing about Don and his green chair on the beach....when he came over to say hi the other week and see our trawler, he brought the same chair down the dock with him!*
biggrin.gif

RE: mountains vs. tropics....I frankly love both. *I would LOVE to go for a 1-2 week cruise up in the PNW. *We did a 7 day cruise on a big Royal Caribbean ship out of vancouver up into AK- man talk about beautiful! *Every time I saw someone out in their boat cruising around I kept thinking how NICE that would be. *AK is a beautiful state- spent a few months up there in my college years traveling around.

But....give me a nice warm beach, cold drink, blue skies, and well....basically I would be a happy man living barefoot and shirtless the rest of my life.

I actually have developed a theory. *One should really only need 2 pairs of shoes. *Anything more than this and life is too complicated and (at least for me) being lived in the wrong *latitude. *Those shoes should be: A) A pair of every day flip flops. *B) A pair of dress flip flops for church on Sundays and formal gatherings. *So far, I have yet to find a flaw in my theory. *
smile.gif

-- Edited by Woodsong on Saturday 8th of January 2011 12:02:55 PM

Doc wrote:

A Zen person might posit that Marin has become one with gloom, rain and fog.
Not at all.* I love "bad" weather.* It makes life more exciting. The weather in Hawaii, however, was very depressing to me.* Day after day after day, the same thing.* No change.* The TV stations didn't even have weather people.* The anchor would give the weather report at the end of the newscast.* On Oahu, it was one sentence.* "Sunny with scattered clouds, mauka showers in the morning."* That was it every damn day for almost thirty years.* (Mauka is Hawaiian for toward or near the mountains.)

It's not that I don't like sunny days, I hate nothing but sunny days.* And given all the time I spent in Hawaii, I figure I've had more than my quota of sunny days.* So I love the rainy, foggy, weather in the PNW.* One of my most favorite things to do (when I have time) is to go fly-fishing for steelhead when it's snowing.* To stand in a river (there are no rivers in Hawaii, let alone rivers wiith fish in them) with the snow drifting down and the eagles in the trees and the cormorants and kingfishers diving in front of us---- that is being alive in my book.

Some photos I've taken that I think sum up what I like about this area.....* It's why I would not want to live anywhere else on the planet, and I've been to a lot of places.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 8th of January 2011 12:49:04 PM

Attachments

• snow1.jpg
    snow1.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 85
  • stilly1.jpg
    stilly1.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 75
  • bellingham bay.jpg
    bellingham bay.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 82
  • shuksan2.jpg
    shuksan2.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 75
  • chains.jpg
    chains.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 74
  • weynton passage.jpg
    weynton passage.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 72
  • floathouse.jpg
    floathouse.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 83
  • lingcod.jpg
    lingcod.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 71
  • johnstone strait.jpg
    johnstone strait.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 83
  • blackfish sound.jpg
    blackfish sound.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 81
Very nice. I'm glad for you that you like where you live.* I'm sure most of us like where we live also. *However, on a cold January day, I'd still rather be on a beach soaking up the sun.*

-- Edited by KJ on Saturday 8th of January 2011 01:38:17 PM

Last* week I was skiing. This week I am on Maui. The means of conveyance is an airplane. Marin and Baker know this device well.

Woodsong wrote:

We did a 7 day cruise on a big Royal Caribbean ship out of vancouver up into AK- man talk about beautiful! *Every time I saw someone out in their boat cruising around I kept thinking how NICE that would be.**
After my fifth big-ship Alaskan cruise (NCL, Holland America, Princess) seeing sights like this, I couldn't resist getting my own boat.

232323232%7Ffp538%3A8%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B2%3A28669336nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp53838%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B2%3A286%3A%3A336nu0mrj

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 8th of January 2011 02:30:59 PM

KJ wrote:

Thanks, it is a tough job, but necessary.* I am getting very depressed.* Until Marin's post I was just enjoying the secluded beaches, aqua marine waters. unspoiled reefs, lobsters, fresh fish, and island breezes---yes, even the*sun!* I guess that it was just ignorance on my part.* Now I can't wait to get home, sell everything, pack up and move north.* Wait! What am I saying?* I have never heard of anyone doing that before!* Poor bas--------, I guess they just haven't seen what gloom can do for you.

You can see how unhappy I have become.* I guess this will be my last report from my beach job.

y-037.jpg

I would be more than glad to relieve you of your beach job, just leave the chair and the cervezas.*

sunchaser wrote:

Last* week I was skiing. This week I am on Maui. The means of conveyance is an airplane. Marin and Baker know this device well.

If only we and Airbus still remembered how to make them I bet we could make a lot of money selling them.....

KJ wrote

I would be more than glad to relieve you of your beach job, just leave the chair and the cervezas.*

Thanks, I'll keep the seat warm for you.* Kalik is the beer of the Bahamas, but never while working security.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 8th of January 2011 04:02:34 PM

KJ wrote:

I'm actually envious of Marin, growing up in Hawaii.*

Don't be. You would be amazed at how many people from the mainland move to Hawaii thinking it will be this utopia with wonderful weather, and within a few years they move back to the mainland.* The never-changing weather gets to them, and the fact you can't go anywhere gets to them.* While I will probably never do it I love the fact I can drive a few miles from my house, get on I-90 and can drive on I-90 all the way to Boston.

There is a MAJOR difference between visiting a place like Hawaii for a week or two and living there full-time.* For example, nobdody I knew in shcool or when I was working in television went to the beach much other than the guys in high school who were into surfing.* Nobody marveled at the palm trees or the sunsets.* We bitched about the traffic and the tourists and like people everywhere else concentrated on our school or work and just dealing with life.* We could have been in LA or Denver in that respect.* Paradise is only paradise to people who don't live there.* For the people who do, it's as much a hassle as anywhere else.

True, we didn't have to deal with snow and ice storms.* But we had to deal with termites, rats, and cockroaches.* Billions of them.* When we'd hear people talk about their Hawaiian vacations and how wonderful it was and how beautiful everything is we'd say to each other "Where the hell were they?* They sure weren't in this Hawaii."

Which is why when I hear people at work today talking about taking a vactaction to Hawaii I always wonder, "Why go there when there are so many other FAR more fascinating and intriguing places on the planet to go?"* I've been very lucky in that my employer has sent us to many of these places.* I'm not a fan of the tropics at all, but I've been to the Seychelles and Reunion Island and they make Hawaii look pretty pathetic in comparison.

I know a number of people here in the Seattle area who lived for a long time in Hawaii or were born and grew up there.* Almost all of them feel the same way about the place as I do.* Which is probably pretty typical of people no matter where they're from.* The grass is always greener someplace else until you get there.

I must say though that, not counting Seattle itself, I have never regretted moving to the Pacific Northwest at all.* It has totally lived up to my expectations and surpassed them, and continues to do so today. I include BC in my definition of the PNW, by the way--- BC is fabulous, even better than Washington.* All of BC, not just the coastal waters.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 8th of January 2011 04:16:49 PM

markpierce wrote:After my fifth big-ship Alaskan cruise (NCL, Holland America, Princess) seeing sights like this, I couldn't resist getting my own boat.
I can relate to that.* My first view of coastal BC was on a ship coming down the Inside Passage courtesy of the winch on my Land Rover.* That trip motivated me to move here from Hawaii although it took me two years to get up the nerve to do it.

But it was all the floatplane trips my wife and I have taken up the Inside Passage and into SE Alaska that planted the idea of someday exploring the area in a boat large enough to tdo this.* Hence the GB.

Nothing wrong with your love of the PNW, Marin. It is certainly stunningly beautiful!!!

Mark,
I see your pics. Ketchikan floats and big rocks. Locals here cal Prince of Wales Island** ..
"the rock" . People w cabin fever say "gotta get off the rock". Here's another hbr in Ketchikan. Thomas Basin. The original hbr in Ketchikan*** ..I think. This place is not like Hawaii was to Marin**** ...I like it more and more. But the Hawaii thing that Marin describes happens a lot up here. It's said that the average person that comes to Alaska stays 5 yrs. A year or two ago I was almost ready to go back to Washington but not now. Needed to adjust to the lifestyle. There's a program on Alaska (mostly hunting and fishing) on the travel channel this evening. It's ch 277 Direct TV. The second pic is of our house after much snow. The 3rd was taken up on the hill looking down on the great city of Thorne Bay.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 436.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 436.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 70
  • all to 12-15-09 328.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 328.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 72
  • all to 12-15-09 260.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 260.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 76
Wow,* I recognize EVERY boat in that photo, we were docked just out of the photo to the South. I was driving the blue pick-up in the upper left corner.* Small world.......................Arctic Traveller

232323232%7Ffp538%3A8%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B2%3A28669336nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp53838%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B2%3A286%3A%3A336nu0mrj

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 8th of January 2011 02:30:59 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom