Manatee teak deck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HiDHo

Guru
I have several teak bungs missing on our deck. Has anyone determined the plug size? I think they might be 5/16" but could be a metric size. I wanted to buy a plug cutter set and make what I need from the loads of scrap teak I have saved thru the years but unsure which size to order.

Cool Beans, which is a 1984 Manatee, has 3/8" plugs. We did a complete restore to our teak deck and the result was amazing.

Mine are 3/8" too, Bill. I buy them locally at the Teak Hut...cheap and pre cut.

Thanks all 3/8" it is, and I'll check out the Teak Hut. What is the preferred adhesive ?

How many do you need? I thunk O may have some around here somewhere.

Thanks Larry, I already bought 25 which hopefully will do for a long time. My deck has 4 missing and is in good shape for a 1987 Manatee. Looks like having cover over the teak increases the longevity, I also treat it to a gentle salt water bath occasionally. The plugs do come loose, so if you have some save them for repairs.
Bill

Teak bungs/plugs repaired, 3/8" is the right size. I used Gorrila Glue which seemed to work great, time will tell. I also used a razor sharp wood chisel to cut them off 1/8" proud. I then sanded them flush using course and fine flooring sand paper which I prefer because of it's stiff backing and industrial strength grit. Thanks all for the information as to the right size bungs/plugs.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom