View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 03:56 AM   #34
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
So Marin, if you can't have John Baker piloting your airplane, you're willing to accept less???....maybe safer than some crews but not as safe as the John Bakers of the world?? Not following you. I want THE SAFEST!!!
There are a lot of regions of the world, specific countries and specific airlines, some of them fairly major operators, where if you fly on them today, you are automatically accepting less because they do not have aircrews of John Bakers. Far from it, as a matter of fact. Some of these carriers we will flat out not fly on despite their having very young fleets of Boeing or Airbus aircraft. When we look at the rankings of equipment maintenance, flight crew training, and flight crew competence it becomes very obvious that there is a huge disparity between airlines.

So it becomes a matter of do you want or need or have to go where you have no choice but to fly on one of these less than ideal carriers or do you choose to stay home or refuse to go? Not everybody on the planet has or feels they have those options.

What I am saying is that eventually, and eventually is approaching at an accellerating rate, fully automated commercial air transportation will BE the safest and it will also be the universal norm. Nobody is saying it's going to happen tomorrow. But-- like fully automatd self-driving vehicles-- it is the direction the industry is going, it is the goal, and by the time it is fully proven it will also be accepted by the traveling public

By the time it's the norm, I suspect all of us who have been having this discussion on this forum will be dead. However I fully expect that some of us, at least, will live to see the proving process well underway.

The development process is already well underway, much more so, in fact, than I would have expected.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote