Swim deck shower options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
Greetings all!
I am tackling a long overdue swim deck shower upgrade. I have located several on line, but the box dimensions are pretty far off from what I am finding. Easier it seems- would be finding a quality 4" center marine faucet with the accompanying hose and shower head. Can anyone point me in a productive direction ??
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440961946.058751.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440961960.271903.jpg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

or try an RV place...chances are it may be chromed plastic...but many match the holes in my old plumbing fixtures and their low cost just means replacing more often.

or buy better valves and connections and mount through a piece of starboard you can screw into the old box.

if the whole box needs replacing and it is a dimension thing to use the new whole unit...then how about a larger starboard plate screwed on and mount the new box in it?

Capt Bill beat me to it. Scandvik has a large selection of faucets and showers.
I stock several of their products and am impressed with the quality.

Capt Bill beat me to it. Scandvik has a large selection of faucets and showers.
I stock several of their products and am impressed with the quality.

Sweet! I knew ma Man Parks would be to the rescue!! How about a 4" gap brass plated chrome faucet correctly tied to a 6' durable shower hose and a simple/ durable shower hand held sprayer. Hopefully with a cast hanger for the sprayer!!
Bro- I HATE catalogs. I tried- I really did. Even called the good looking Babe "standing by to take my call" ;). No luck!
Could you...Would you check your stock and see if you have something that will work?? I'm gonna mount the new parts onto the old box.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I'll be glad to take a look tomorrow.

Sweet. I'm open to old stock/ dent and scratch too. Just want you to pick me out something that fares pretty well in a marine environment. Thank You

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Greetings,
Mr. F. Whilst NOT on the swim platform I mounted (3 hook and loop strips) one of these to an upper deck support on the aft deck. Great for showering off the salt AND using in lieu of the on board shower stalls (keeps humidity out of berth areas). Shower with a bathing costume if so inclined. Water runs out scuppers.
82261890.png

You could tape a hook onto the wand that would hang on your aft rail at an appropriate height and connect to your hose bib with a short piece of hose. Use quick connects and you can stow it out of the way when not using.

gardena-36004-garden-hose-quick-connector-starter-set_3335_500.jpg

Other than the cost of the new faucets, easy, cheap(probably less than $40), readily available and simple.

Last edited:
I like the quick connect idea a lot RTF. Bacchus, that is a smooth piece of hardware- will sure keep it in mind. I'm gonna see what Parks comes up with first. I'm amazed that a faucet/ hose/ wand assembly has been so hard to find.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

14119%20-%2014227.gif

Does this look like the correct spacing? It's a little smaller than 4"

Is the shower head mounted on a vertical rail so you can adjust the height?
14140.gif

Parks- I'm still at the boat. Will check in the AM and let you know.:thumb:

More shower ideas

Another idea...

How about it if you take the valves & hose outlet from one of the "boxed" units that's the wrong size box and place them in your flanged mounting.
Here's a Scandvik Unit that might work... Probably better if handles were separate if spacing in a problem

This one actually looks like 4" spacing - would just need the shower head "trim ring" for your center hole??

Or any chance this Scandvik one would fit in your existing flanged mounting?

Bacchus- thanks for looking, but I can't get the links to work.
Parks I sent a pic to your cell phone this AM- it is 4" spacing but I can modify the box as needed.
Here are a couple of shots that may help. Notice the SS weldment for the hanger for the shower head. If you were able to provide something similar, I can drill new holes. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441035087.378949.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441035106.440329.jpg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Bacchus- thanks for looking, but I can't get the links to work.
Not sure why links didn't work for you - I can open them on laptop and phone?

Parks is probably looking at Scandvik - ones I saw that might work were Part # 10640 and #12142
the second was a Ambassador Marine Recessed Transom Shower #137-0203-CW

That's a tough one without an easy answer. My initial response would be to remove the fiberglass part and replace it with Starboard...with two Scandvik recessed shower containers (new ones have gaskets).

Part #12107

Scandvik Marine Inc. - Products

Part #12108

This will give you a clean look and you wont have to worry about water intrusion. Use the 10013 holder.

Parks you got any better ideas!!

Petrafied you need to introduce yourself to these guys. Your knowledge will be welcome on this forum. Sign up as a commercial vendor.

I asked petrified to take a look at this thread because he is smarter than I am when it comes to this sort of stuff.

I was thinking that the 14119 looked like a drop in replacement if the hole spacing could be made to work.

14119%20-%2014227_Detail.jpg

Thanks everyone! Parks I'm digging the one you just listed. I'm heading home so will get with her for the nod and color choice. Call you tomorrow.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Greetings,
A consideration for the units pictured in post #18. Are they designed to be used outdoors with constant exposure to UV?

RTF- I would assume so, because we all know Parks sells:
Only the best!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Hi RT, you bring up a valid point.

I suspect the plastic knobs will deteriorate over time as the originals did. The way to avoid that would be to install a new shower box with a door or do what Petrified suggested and install the 121007 and 121008 which have covers.

I don't know if replacement knobs would be available several years from now but the hose and sprayer should be easy to replace. It is kind of an industry standard thread.

The valve itself is Chrome Plated Brass which should last many years without problem.

I know! Stretch a shower cap over the knobs to protect them from the Sun!

Oh Oh Oh! Better still, we'll make little Sunbrella booties to put over the knobs. I'm going to be rich! How many of you guys want my patented Shower Knob Booties? (Don't worry RT, I'll share the profits with you. You pointed out the need for Shower Knob Booties)

Maybe a couple of squirrel shower caps?? ;)

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

RT, I knew I could count on you!
Forklift, you better ask your wife before you borrow the squirrel's shower caps.

OK- here's an update. I received my "Euro transom shower" I had ordered from Hop Car and it arrived as promised. A great looking set up too. Now to make it fit the original set up which was on a 4" center, I cut a 2x5.5"plate from a piece of scrap aluminum and center punched and drilled the 1/8" plate to the correct center and hole size with a step bit on the drill press.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442201491.994591.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442201506.595596.jpg

At the boat I removed the original FG insert along with the old shower. After pulling it apart I used my aluminum plate for a template and marked the area that needed to be removed from the insert. I just used a carbide barrel bit on my cordless drill to remove the extra material.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442201923.141390.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442201939.059374.jpg

I filled a couple of holes and scratches with Bondo Glass which I am really starting to love to use. I sanded the shower housing insert and primed/ pained the new plate.

I just secured it in place with 5200 (no need for an atta boy Parks- I know I'm a real man) ;)

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442202155.959319.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442202171.342528.jpg

Now for my next challenge. I ran to HD this afternoon and using the dedicated plumbing guy and pictures/ measurements I brought with me- I came back to the boat with these adapters to convert the original 1/2" NPS (I think) with an insert at the face- to the new 3/8" NPS I am using. Two brass 1/2 to 3/8 fittings I bought spin onto the faucet about 1 1/4 turns and gets tight. That's not gonna work. The old NPT into NPS problem apparently. And notice the two grey fittings making up the 90. I'm getting VERY confused. I'm gonna shut the water off in the AM and bring both valves to Ken's Hardware in Gulfport to try and figure this out. Any suggestions are welcome!
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442202894.762694.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442202918.949102.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442202971.585941.jpg

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Steve, if it helps I think the grey fittings are Quest brand PEX fittings.
Did the shower holder arrive yet?

Thanks Parks- HD didn't seem to be familiar with it and I'm pretty sure Ken's Hardware will be the same but maybe not. Any chance Hopkins Carter would have said fittings in stock?? :)

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Parks it's Qest. I wonder if there is any chance the grey tubing is the correct size to receive PEX fittings?? There is a commercial HVAC/ Plumbing store nearby. They might be a good choice. Will check in AM.

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Back
Top Bottom