Unusual power problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

High Wire

Guru
Vessel Name
Irish Lady
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Riddle me this TF'ers!

A friend on my dock just went through this issue:
Boat 32' sportfish
Twin Volvo 200 hp diesels about 12 years old

Went fishing one day and the port engine would not come up to cruise rpm. Heavier than normal black smoke from port engine.
Starboard engine would come up to cruise RPM without problem.
Volvo mechanics called in.
Changed all fuel and air filters. Checked cables for full travel. Not it.
Rebuilt injectors. Not it.
Pulled turbo. Lots of soot on exhaust wheel. Some other issue with turbo. Replaced turbo with rebuilt. Not it.
Shaft spins freely. Pulled boat and sent both props out for computer scan. Port prop ok. Stbd prop a little out. Restored both to original spec.
Cleaned aftercooler. Replaced fuel and air filters a second time. Not it.
So they were down to ordering a rebuilt injection pump. The head shop dude is out on the last test ride and says, "Whoa! That ain't right!"

What did he see?

Someone put gas into the port tank?

And how much of this poor guys'money did they spend demonstrating that they don't know what they are doing?

Boats are the only place I know of where we pay people for not fixing something.

Riddle me this TF'ers!

A friend on my dock just went through this issue:
Boat 32' sportfish
Twin Volvo 200 hp diesels about 12 years old

Went fishing one day and the port engine would not come up to cruise rpm. Heavier than normal black smoke from port engine.
Starboard engine would come up to cruise RPM without problem.
Volvo mechanics called in.
Changed all fuel and air filters. Checked cables for full travel. Not it.
Rebuilt injectors. Not it.
Pulled turbo. Lots of soot on exhaust wheel. Some other issue with turbo. Replaced turbo with rebuilt. Not it.
Shaft spins freely. Pulled boat and sent both props out for computer scan. Port prop ok. Stbd prop a little out. Restored both to original spec.
Cleaned aftercooler. Replaced fuel and air filters a second time. Not it.
So they were down to ordering a rebuilt injection pump. The head shop dude is out on the last test ride and says, "Whoa! That ain't right!"

What did he see?

was he at the helm or engine room? or is that too much info? :D

Boats are the only place I know of where we pay people for not fixing something.

Or better yet, we pay them to make things worse.

I always keep a bag of nails and a hammer nearby. Whenever I get the urge to hire someone to "fix" my boat, I remind myself that hammering a few of those nails into my head would feel about the same. Most of the time that thought prevents me from hiring anyone - but not always.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, we haven't been playing the game.....

My guess is some kink or other form of blockage on the engine's intake side.

Unless of course someone had recently worked on the engine before the problem developed. Then I would guess an incorrectly hooked up hose, or perhaps a tool left in some inappropriate place.

Exhaust elbow.

Greetings,
Mr. HW. Too easy...Bad circuit board on the port cockroach...Next please.

giphy.gif

Something is fouled on the prop.

Sorry, we haven't been playing the game.....

My guess is some kink or other form of blockage on the engine's intake side.

Unless of course someone had recently worked on the engine before the problem developed. Then I would guess an incorrectly hooked up hose, or perhaps a tool left in some inappropriate place.

Im guessing blockage on the exhaust side ???:)

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Oh - I know , I know... it's a Volvo diesel. That's the answer; what's the question?? :whistling: :hide:

Greetings,
Mr. M. I suffered a collapsed fuel line and the engine DID lose power but no black smoke. Just died. Other than the circuit board (post #9), the only thing I know for sure is NOT to let these mechanics on board.
Sooo....It's getting fuel and not burning it all (black smoke) or it's getting too much fuel.
Running gear within spec'. Engine "breathing" properly...Yup, cockroach OR thermostat stuck open and motor running cold.
Further.....Don't know much about turbos but I'm guessing the water injection to cool the exhaust is AFTER all the turbo business. Turbo carboned up so not an exhaust elbow issue. Not burning the fuel efficiently. Hmmm....I like these mysterious problems (On someone else's boat of course).

Last edited:
Forgot to add:
Exhaust scoped and clear.
Elbow clear but somewhat corroded so it was replaced.
Not fuel lines or air in the fuel.

Last edited:
Sooo....It's getting fuel and not burning it all (black smoke)
Getting warmer. What would cause that?
BTW, engine running smooth. Sounds perfect.

Last edited:
Or not enough air getting to the engine. Air filter clogged?

Partially blocked sea strainer, lack of raw water, ...

Filters too big, too much fuel?

Valve clearance not right?

Back
Top Bottom