Your Best Technique or Invention

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rclarke246

Vessel Name
Lady Di
Vessel Make
2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
OK, a really broad question:

What are the 1 or 2 little "tricks" you've discovered to make your boating safer or easier?

I'll lead off with these:

1) Here is a pretty simple way to keep us reminded of where the ATONs belong. See the red and green "snack bag" clips on the windshield? When there's a lot going on we find these can be very helpful reminders. (Yes, that's the Great Bridge, Virginia lock just ahead.)

2) Another tip that really has helped us: "When docking, you're in neutral about 80% of the time".

We're kinda new at this, most of you are not. Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Attachments

• IMG_2993.jpg
    IMG_2993.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
A technique we started using about six or seven years ago is using the bow breast lne and a big fender to get the boat off a dock when the wind is blowing us hard onto it, or out of a tight space on a dock with boats close in front of and behind us. This technique is described in plenty of places including past posts to this forum so is in the archives. But every time we use it it still strikes us as being a pretty slick technique.

That something going wrong is an integral part of the sport, if you don't like solving and getting over problems and mistakes, it's not the sport for you.

Avoid having a man-made schedule.

Anything you read on an internet forum is at best a good clue, not an answer.

Commercial grade equipment beats "yacht" grade every time.

Grow a pair........of knee pads. One of my most used tools on the boat. Not my invention but very thankful they exist.

I found the advice to remove big heavy lube filters in a plastic bag to be unworkably messy.

When changing those big lube filters on larger diesels drain them first. Punch a small hole near the bottom with a nail and drain into a convenient container. When empty seal the hole with a small metal screw. Then swap the filters.

When restarting spin the engine with fuel off until oil pressure is well up to fill the new filter before starting. Spin in burst to not overheat the starter. close seacock if you have waterlift mufflers.

using the bow breast lne and a big fender to get the boat off a dock...a pretty slick technique.

That always impresses the dock walkers as well and even some other boaters who haven't yet discovered it.

Although some marinas don't permit it, another trick is having lines permanently attached to your slip. This is really handy in some sheds where the lines can be hung on the studs and accessed by the deck crew without stepping off. Same with the power cord; have two, leave one behind on the slip.

"astern away" is a useful mantra for dock maneuvering. Shifting to reverse will cause some sideways push that may be useful.

I found the advice to remove big heavy lube filters in a plastic bag to be unworkably messy.

When changing those big lube filters on larger diesels drain them first. Punch a small hole near the bottom with a nail and drain into a convenient container. When empty seal the hole with a small metal screw. Then swap the filters.

When restarting spin the engine with fuel off until oil pressure is well up to fill the new filter before starting. Spin in burst to not overheat the starter. close seacock if you have waterlift mufflers.

Oooo, I like this. I recently changed my oil and filter trying the bag method and oil went everywhere. Thanks!

My only tip, being a relative newbie, is to have a plan and proceed super SLOWLY when docking. You will see the sportfish folks backing in crazy fast at the dock, but that doesn't work for most folks.

Those standard fuel gauges are not accurate though they are repeatable.

When they read 1/2 it may not be 1/2 but whatever the reading is when you add 100 gallons to fill up will be the same next time.

From that idea you can reasonably estimate fuel used. They are usually market in 1/4 increments so you can easily estimate 1/8 or even smaller increments with practice

one of those knobs attached to the steering wheel is a great help when using rudders for walking or spinning the boat.

one of those knobs attached to the steering wheel is a great help when using rudders for walking or spinning the boat.

Aren't they called "suicide knobs"?:whistling:

I have always left our rudders neutral when docking but would like to know, backing in with strong current or wind, how you remember which way to turn the wheel?

I'm pretty sure you want the aft edge of the rudder to "point the way", right?

Last edited:
A good canvas shop can replace all that soft vinyl with semi rigid polycarbonate (lexan type) windows. The poly carbonate is much superior to soft vinyl.. Try it in the center front window first if you are unsure. My canvas guy even curved the corners using 30 mil instead of 50 mil. The curve gave rigidity.

Fuel Level Accuracy

As most fuel gauges never read correctly.... and... many boats have twists in their fuel fill lines from deck mount to tank that negates ability of calibrated straight-stick fuel level testing:

I purchased a 3/32" piece of tan colored strong-fabric line and stream-line attached a 3 ounce, thin, torpedo shaped (on goth its ends) lead fishing sinker on line's end. This enables me to get the sinker to pass through the fuel filler line’s twists and go to tank bottom. I can tell exactly by feel and sound when the sinker hits tank bottom. Then pull up the line and via calibrations of deck to tank top to tank bottom it is easy to calibrate fuel level in tank. Also by figuring the gallons per inch in tank you can simply measure inches of fuel dampened line and know exactly how many gallons remain. Our two 100 gallon tanks = 4 gallon per inch in each. Boat-Life is simple when simple ways are employed!

Art- that's a super idea. I was going to post that best thing you can do is figure out some way to dipstick fuel tanks, even if it takes modifying something to do it. Your sounding line may avoid the need for cutting anything. Just don't get it stuck!!!

My favorite fix is using a hairdryer as a pilothouse window defogger for winter running. Mine works on the inverter when on low setting so if patient, I don't need to start the gennie.

Next one is a trick to get impellers out: Get a squirtbottle of some cleaner like 409 or whatever and when you take back cover off, squirt soap in there. Then go just bump the starter. DONT START IT. Rotation smears the soap. Makes it much easier to remove.

Bayview wrote;
"When changing those big lube filters on larger diesels drain them first. Punch a small hole near the bottom with a nail and drain into a convenient container. When empty seal the hole with a small metal screw. Then swap the filters."

My engine has a very small oil filter but I was afraid it would run out all over the place w my horizontal mounted filter. When I had the engine installed (I was in Alaska) I had them put in a remotely mounted oil filter. Vertical so I could take off the filter can w/o spilling oil. After years of oil leakage .. Not knowing the sorce I changed back to the horizontally mounted filter on the side of the lower engine block expecting a mess when I changed the filter. Not to be. It drained into the engine. When I unscrewed the filter no oil came out. All that trouble could have been avoided if I had just left well enough alone and started out w the factory setup.

I cut the top off of a 1 gallon water jug. Hold it under the filter and then unscrew and let it drop into the jug. Before installing the new filter, I fill it almost to the top with fresh oil and then screw it into place. Easy and no mess.

Howard

Never approach the dock any faster than you want to hit it.

When using twins centralize the rudders and never touch the wheel when docking - use the gears and a little goose if needs be.

Put a little plastic trash can in the head(s) and tell all visitors that all TP goes in there rather than the toilet (both #1 and #2s).

Set the morning coffee maker up before you start drinking for the evening.

Whomever takes the dog ashore for the last pee of the night gets to stay in their bunk during the first pee of the day.

Weaver davits on the swim platform WILL Stub your toe severely at least once every weekend.

Just because they get paid to work the docks at a marina, doesn't mean that they necessarily know what the hell they are doing. Make sure to tell them CLEARLY what you want done.

Tip yer durn dockhand!

Last edited:
Great thread! Here's one of mine. We had some Sunbrella left over from some cushions we had made a few of years ago. I had the shop stitch up the remaining piece that I added snaps to. Now- as the morning sun intrudes onto the port side of the sundeck- I snap my "blind" onto the hardtop for relief. I switch sides later for the evening sun. Actually I have snaps in place on the aft part of the hard top as well. This is left over from our last slip which would get lots of evening sun into the salon.
Notice the snaps on the bottom. I would snap these together to be able to lay bottles of water for weight- though this never worked that well. I think the trick for this design is to NOT try to contain all four edges. Across the top and maybe one corner has made for a long lasting approach to some shade (which I love) :).
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440963032.880295.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440963051.398372.jpg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

If you have an older trawler that has been through several previous owners, the electronics probably have been upgraded a few times. LORANS, depthfinders, old auto pilots and radios come to mind. Installers simply pull the old wiring tight and clip off the cables at the harness. Take a couple hours some day and pull out the old unused wires. When you eventually need to troubleshoot something, it is much easier to trace cables when the old stuff is out of the way.

Last edited:
1- The flag across the way from our slip is always a dependable indication of what the wind is actually doing in our marina and let's me know what to expect while docking.
2- Yelling while docking, mooring or anchoring never helps. We have a quick chat about the situation before maneuvering then use hand signals to accomplish the task. If something goes wrong we talk about it when finished.
3- Most importantly; we boat for pleasure so if it's not fun we're doing it wrong!

The Admiral says:

1- Check the Current Atlas every time.

2- Update your wind and weather outlook often.

Three things...

First, be exceedingly kind to the people at every marina, restaurant or area you visit, and start before you arrive. Same with bridge tenders and lock masters. Make them all feel that you truly appreciate your help. We do so that's not a fake belief. This is your recreation so it should come with smiles and be upbeat. In return you'll find 98% of the time you'll get treated wonderfully. Part of it is follow up as well. Yes, you may have reservations but speak to them the day or two before and then let them know you're close. Even if for some reason they weren't prepared, you're giving them a chance to correct it before you arrive so they look good and you're taken care of. We treat dockhands with respect. Also, if you can turn it personal and not all business. Years ago I dealt regularly with manufacturing in Puerto Rico, on the west side. There was one person there who stuck rigidly to the tradition which was to never start a phone call with business. Even if he talked to you two hours ago he'd ask how you were or how your lunch was or something. It's amazing how it made the calls go. We laughed about it but it was a great tradition. I try to do it today. My wife naturally does it. We deal with the same bridge tenders regularly when home. They have good memories. Fortunately, we're on their good side.

Second, put things away. A place for everything and everything in it's place. You don't have a luxury of space. Regardless of boat size it's still likely smaller than your house or last house. The boat won't ever feel crowded if things are properly stowed.

Third, when going to foreign countries and ports for the first time, use an agent. Everything will go smoothly. Smoother than you could have done it yourself? Not always. But never less smooth. I can say without question we got cleared with less problems and quicker than other boats arriving and not using an agent. Call the agent a little before your arrival and they'll be there to help.

Remember, this is fun. This is pleasure. Even when it seems not, remind yourself it is. Fixing something that is broken is still part of the pleasure as it brings you closer to the pleasure.

Oh...my wife has one more.

Wifey B: USE THE BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boat mantra: Use it or lose it!

I don't know about using an agent. We use them routinely in our business for foreign clearances. That is one of the few businesses that gets paid in excess of what they think it might cost UPFRONT. In other words, wire us $100,000 and if there is any left we'll send it to you.....after a while...maybe.
My first wife was a customs broker who dealt with shipping agents on a daily basis. Some of the stories would defy your imagination.
I hear the Mafia is looking to get into that business.

Put a little plastic trash can in the head(s) and tell all visitors that all TP goes in there rather than the toilet (both #1 and #2s).

Yuk! Menzies, were you a former sailboater? All my sailboat friends do this with their manual heads, but none of the powerboaters I know do this.

My electric head chews everything up with its macerator, so this is not necessary.

Yuk! Menzies, were you a former sailboater? All my sailboat friends do this with their manual heads, but none of the powerboaters I know do this.

My electric head chews everything up with its macerator, so this is not necessary.

Not yuck at all. In fact I believe it encourages guests to go before they come and/or wait until afterwards! Saves my holding tank from filling up! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom