Seabrook/Kemah Happy Hour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
8 or 9 covered piers depending on how you want to count #8. It wraps around the corner.

My only point and interest were the covered AND floating piers. And as we have hashed out, there are only 2 of those at Seabrokk Shipyard and one at Lakewood Yacht Club.

Well Monday turned into Wednesday but we are finally back in the water. BM Boatworks did an awesome job and were reasonably priced. Now all I need is to get the life raft serviced/repacked and the EPRIB serviced and we are ready for Florida/Bahamas in November.

When you go to back to Florida, what's your plan for getting there? Are you going through Nola again?

I don't have the fuel, crew, or the right boat to go straight across like No Mast did, but that sounded interesting. If I can get some paravanes installed I feel like I could cut the corner and miss all that Nola mess.

No sir, I plan on doing the Port Arthur, Vermillion Bay, Venice, Gulfport route this time. I hope to avoid the TX/LA portion of the ICW in future. From Gulfport on, the ICW is pretty enjoyable.

I agree. After Gulfport coming south is when it got crowded/ugly. BTW, I stayed in the Gulfport muni marina on the way down and it was pretty nice I thought.

I don't know if I can make those outside legs you are talking about with my slow speed but I will check them out.

Edit:
Looks like maybe 14 hours from Sabine pass to Vermillion Bay at 7 knots. Maybe 13 if I bump it to 7.5. That's probably doable in the summer.

Last edited:
My only point and interest were the covered AND floating piers. And as we have hashed out, there are only 2 of those at Seabrokk Shipyard and one at Lakewood Yacht Club.

*Well, harumph* :D

I was just correcting the number of piers at blue dolphin. No one hit the right number, including myself. So for the sake of future reads...

No sir, I plan on doing the Port Arthur, Vermillion Bay, Venice, Gulfport route this time. I hope to avoid the TX/LA portion of the ICW in future. From Gulfport on, the ICW is pretty enjoyable.

Could you start a new thread for that portion of the journey? We have taken the ICW several runs from Kemah to points east, but never on the outside.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Way to go Blue! Gotta hate the delays though. Me and the Mrs will be back on the boat tomorrow! YAY! Probably gonna take it out Sunday for some fishin, relaxin, etc.

Steve, I will definitely start a new thread for the trip. Kevin, I hope to see you this weekend. Other peoples coffee always seems to taste better :)

LOL, yup, you're welcome anytime, I'll let you know when we're there and the coffee is on.

I have to say the water in clear lake is the spookiest water I have been in, in a long time. I got under the boat for 4 hours today to clean the hull. The mullet popping up into view all the time was okay after a while but man the dark shadowy things that cruised by occasionally, man my hair would bristle. LOL

You literally cant see the prop or the rudder, they are shadows.

When do you think you'll be passing through our neck of the woods?

I have to say the water in clear lake is the spookiest water I have been in, in a long time. I got under the boat for 4 hours today to clean the hull. The mullet popping up into view all the time was okay after a while but man the dark shadowy things that cruised by occasionally, man my hair would bristle. LOL

You literally cant see the prop or the rudder, they are shadows.

In my book, the spotting of any big dark shadowy things cruising on the edge of visibility signifies rum-o'clock. I doffs me hat to you, sir, for finishing the job.

Big dark shadowy things skeer me! Anyway, back on the boat tonight, goin out for a little fishin (maybe even some catchin!) tomorrow, Sunday am.

Likely big sheepshead. They'll nibble on you. They have some teeth!!

I suspect they were the tarpon that hang out, the little fish would all of a sudden be gone and then the submarine would cruise by. There's one sheepshead that eats off the pilings here and he's got to be 2' long. Biggest one I have ever seen. I would truly hate being bitten by it.

In the water area over by the uncovered docks, tarpon were crashing the water about every 2 or 3 seconds last week after the big rains flooded the area. I guess the rains brought the little fish in to eat new stuff and the tarpons to eat them. It was pretty cool watching it.

Sheephead are about the best tasting fish in the Gulf. Not real easy to clean but well worth the trouble, they make great ceviche too

Steve,
Once when we spent the night at Oak Harbour in Slidell- my buddy and I had caught a couple of big sheephead that I cleaned after we had passed the Hwy 11 Bridge on the way home. I was standing on the swimdeck of PL2 as my buddy Phil ran the helm. Cooked them up with butter in foil as we cruised across Lake Ponchatrain on that sorry assed Magma grill (just kidding ;)) of mine!
Ate them right off the foil. I remember Patricia discussing how my "presentation" was sub par...

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Well, we tried to catch some today...got a few nibbles on Mullet, even caught a blue crab.....but nuttin to bring home. Did FINALLY manage to get a pic or two of "In Disguise" NOT tied to a pier. So, all in all a successful and fun day of boatin!

Attachments

• At anchor Redfish Shoals 2.jpg
    At anchor Redfish Shoals 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 65
  • At anchor Redfish Shoals 6.jpg
    At anchor Redfish Shoals 6.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 60
  • At anchor Redfish Shoals 5.jpg
    At anchor Redfish Shoals 5.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 72
  • At anchor Redfish Shoals 7.jpg
    At anchor Redfish Shoals 7.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 68
Nice pics Kev. Sorry about the fishing.... Saw you coming in around 6:30. I was delivering a sailboat to Seabrook marina. I waved but I guess you wasn't expecting to see me driving a sailboat as you totally ignored me :)

Damn Blue! Was busy AVOIDING sailboats and little runabouts...surely didn't expect to see you drivin one....next time maybe!

I suspect they were the tarpon that hang out, the little fish would all of a sudden be gone and then the submarine would cruise by. There's one sheepshead that eats off the pilings here and he's got to be 2' long. Biggest one I have ever seen. I would truly hate being bitten by it.

In the water area over by the uncovered docks, tarpon were crashing the water about every 2 or 3 seconds last week after the big rains flooded the area. I guess the rains brought the little fish in to eat new stuff and the tarpons to eat them. It was pretty cool watching it.

Tarpon??? Around here??? I have never seen Tarpon anywhere inside of the jetties. I imagine they get up in the lower parts of the bay system but I can't imagine them being in a marina around these parts.

they have been thick as fleas at blue dolphin for the past few weeks. not real big, 3 - 4 footers. I had one roll the surface yesterday right next to me on the swim platform. I think they come here cause the place is loaded with little fish eating the scum off the "covered" piers. Right after sundown is when I see them typically.

The guy next to me lost his cat yesterday. He's really getting up there in years and he dropped the carrier and the cat as he was boarding his boat. We couldn't find it. That water is impossible to see past a few inches in the shade.

That's terrible!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

they have been thick as fleas at blue dolphin for the past few weeks. not real big, 3 - 4 footers. I had one roll the surface yesterday right next to me on the swim platform. I think they come here cause the place is loaded with little fish eating the scum off the "covered" piers. Right after sundown is when I see them typically.

Never have I seen Tarpon in all of my time boating here. That is crazy. I'd like to see one!!!

Never have I seen Tarpon in all of my time boating here. That is crazy. I'd like to see one!!!

Without pictures, it never happened!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I thought I saw a little progress...but I was wrong. Got the new generator in place yesterday. Will get her all hooked up and tested today (hopefully). But....decided to pull the coolers off the mains and have them professionally cleaned. This has been worrying me ever since I saw the pile of blown coolers at the local Cummings dealer, who recommend pulling and cleaning them at least every two years. So no boating for Blue this long weekend (but hey, there is always the dinghy). That will be the end of the major preparations and leaves things like repack of life raft, new battery for the EPRIB and a few other minor things and then...look out Florida/Bahama where every hour will be a happy hour!

Sorry for the delays Blue, but probably time well spent!

Blue,
Carol at Triad Marine schedules the rib repairs and recertification as well I suspect on life rafts. She is a real sweetie and very helpful. They are in Kemah if you haven't run across them yet.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom