Thread: Diesel Economy
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 03:21 AM   #9
River Cruiser
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Al there are 3 Bayliners in the marina a 5788, 3988 and my 3870 all are diesel - Manns & Hino, all other boats of a similar size are house boats. There are 3 gas powered cruisers a couple of Rinkers in the 34' to 40' and a 410 SeaRay, non of them cruise over 10 miles on a weekend just far enough to get to a sandbar. The 47' Gibson is the only one I've cruised any distance with. I didn't start this thread thinking the boats were comparable in economy, I started it because I thought the Gibson used a excessive amount of fuel because he is over propped probably because his hull is dirty. I've since talked to another owner of a 47' Gibson with 496 GMs that went from our marina to Minneapolis and back he got .9 mpg. When we planned our trip I told him I thought he would burn about 140 gallons on the trip, I told him I would use 80 to 90 gallons, I was pretty close on mine but way off on his.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum