Please offer your boat suggestions....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
Not sure if this is the appropriate place for what I am sure is yet another annoying "find my boat" thread. If not, move or delete. Some of this was covered in my Welcome mat post but might be better here.

My wife and I are starting to seriously think about moving to a powerboat.

Boat History:
Current boat is a 2005 Catalina 400 we bought used. Wonderful boat; two cabins, two heads, one with separate shower. Sleeps 7 without throwing anyone in the cockpit. Plenty of headroom almost everywhere. I have sailed for over 50 years. The C-400 is the largest boat that I have owned or handled. Chronic back pain makes a sailboat painful after a couple of days, hence the thought to move to a powerboat.

Sailing area:
The Salish Sea from Olympia to Desolation Sound. Year round use, usually with wet and cool weather. My foul weather gear gets lots of use.

Typical use:
Kids are out of the house but we are both still working. The adult kids still like to go sailing with us so we often have another couple on board, sometimes with their kids. Lots of weekends, long weekends, and then a week away. I keep hoping to get 2 weeks, but it will be a while before that can happen at this point due to my work responsibilities at least for the next 5 years. After that, the plan is that my wife may retire and I can get more flexible time off so we can get away longer.

Non-negotiable requirements:
2 cabins
Separate shower
Reasonable to single-hand
Affordable (ie under $200k. I know that is going to be the hardest)

What we think wewant/need:
FD hull but SD would be OK.
Around 40'
economical cruise of 7-8 knots
pilothouse design with doors on both sides.
Diesel
Diesel furnace

What we don't think we need/want:
Much exposed wood that needs sanding/varnishing (with limited time I like to be out away from the dock instead of at the dock working on the boat)
Twins
flybridge
AC

I have looked a lot myself and I can find lots of boats in the 37-42 range that meet all the requirements and desires except for the affordable part. That rules out the KK, Nordhavn, and Selene line. It might be possible to find a KK 42 for our price point, but not sure about going with that old of a boat. There are others out there as well, but most of those seem to be pretty rare and/or pretty expensive. A Great Harbor 37 would be possible, although my wife may decide it is just too ugly (I kind of like it however).

Of course my wife likes the NT 37 and 39, and particularly the AT 395. However I have to keep explaining that the AT 395 is still a boat for folks in an entirely different economic class than we are.

What boats/models am I missing due to my lack of knowledge and/or unnecessary restrictions? I know that usually our own boat is either the best or the worst depending on the day and what has just recently broken, but what boats are you experienced captains happy with and why? Am I asking entirely the wrong questions or looking in entirely the wrong direction?

One of the plans, based on suggestions so far, is to hopefully weekend charter some boats of the type we are interested in during the off season.

Thanks.

Dave

You might consider a Bayliner 4788

They are very popular in the PACNW, are very comfortable,have much of what you want and can be had for the upper end of your price range.

You might consider a Bayliner 4788

They are very popular in the PACNW, are very comfortable,have much of what you want and can be had for the upper end of your price range.

Thanks! A Bayliner never entered my mind. I will check it out. Any idea what the Meridian equivalent of the Bayliner 4788 was?

Dave

Edit: Nice boat, and you are right in that I could probably find one in my price range. There is even one for sale in my home port. However, at 47' it is larger than what we are interested in and the fuel costs would likely be higher than what we are looking for. Thanks for the suggestion though, I was not aware that Bayliner even made a pilothouse design.

Last edited:
"Any idea what the Meridian equivalent of the Bayliner 4788 was?"

49 Meridian Pilothouse - the exact same boat as the 4788 Bayliner.

Dhay,
First of all welcome aboard!
With regards to fuel consumption. The cost of fuel is not a major cost, and as your not going very far anytime soon, I would recommend taking a hard look at the Bayliner. It really is a very nice boat. The Meridian is kinda like GMC and Chevy in comparison. Pretty much the same boat.
Good luck on your hunt, you'll find your boat, more likely it will find you!

Hey Dave

Not really trying to convince you here, but pretty much all sd hull boats of a given size will have around the same fuel economy.

I get very close to 2 nmpg at 8 knots, and 1.5nmpg at 9 knots

I won't rule them out then. Biggest concern is handling such a large and high boat with just my wife and I. I suppose with the twins it is easier, but then I have NEVER run twin engines before so I have no idea. It would just barely squeeze into my slip, I think.

Dhays,
I chartered a Meridian 49 out of Anacortes a few years back. It had a bow thruster and was a dream to dock. It was actually a little over 51 ft. But a very good handling boat. Assuming that you have backed in a single on a SV you'll be amazed at how nice twins and a bow thruster are to dock with.

Dhays,
I chartered a Meridian 49 out of Anacortes a few years back. It had a bow thruster and was a dream to dock. It was actually a little over 51 ft. But a very good handling boat. Assuming that you have backed in a single on a SV you'll be amazed at how nice twins and a bow thruster are to dock with.

Yeah, the only thruster I have is my severe Port prop walk.

dhys-I would not be too concerned about handling with two of you. Virtually all here who have boats in the 40+ range easily and capably handle their boats as a couple. We are 58' with a bow thruster and handling has never been an issue. It simply takes practice. So, I would move that concern to the bottom of the list and focus more on the things you really want in a boat. As to handling alone occasionally, many here, including me, have also had to do that and again, with practice, it is manageable.

dhys-I would not be too concerned about handling with two of you. Virtually all here who have boats in the 40+ range easily and capably handle their boats as a couple...

I agree. Our first boat years ago, a 19 foot Bayliner, was much harder to maneuver in tight quarters than our 40 loa, 26,000 lb Mainship with twin engines - well, except for windage. Windage is a bear. If it weren't for wind, I'd be able to nudge a golf ball into a hole with the anchor hanging from the bow pulpit.

I think the Great Harbour N37 without the flybridge might hit some of your wants.

No exterior wood.
PH door (but only one stbd)
Easy to handle.
Separate stateroom (but not big)
Nice shower.
Huge kitchen
Economical.
Twins but tiny ones and huge ER.

I've seen some around $200k. Not many though.

Greetings,
Mr. k. ...and what type of anchor would that be?...

giphy.gif

How about the Krogen Manatee? Great boat for a couple. Also some of the sub-40 Bayliners are nice boats.

It sounds like your buy budget should really be more like <150 if you are already sweating fuel costs.

I didn't pay too much more than $200k for my NT37 a couple years ago. It's very efficient and easy to single hand. No exterior wood, two cabins, head with separate stall shower, pilothouse with doors on each side. In the 1100 hours I've run the boat I've averaged about 7.1 knots and 2.1 gph IIRC. Probably half that time I've single handed.

I've had as many as 15 out for the day, 6 adults for an overnight, and 5 for a week in Alaska (2 were kids under 10). This is not the right boat if you routinely have 4 adults aboard for extended periods, but it's good for weekends.

When I'm alone on the boat I have all the space I could want. When it's just my girlfriend and me or a friend and me there's plenty of room, too.

Unfortunately for you (fortunately for me) prices for these boats seem to have ticked upwards in the last year, especially in the PNW. It seems early 37s like mine are now selling in the $235k-$250k range. You might be able to find a good one back east for less, even when the shipping is taken into account.

For a PNW boat I like having a semi-displacement hull and a bit of extra power. I routinely go through Deception Pass regardless of the current, for instance. Can't do that in a KK42.

If the pilothouse is negotiable you have a whole lot of aft cabin and sedan/europa style options.

I didn't pay too much more than $200k for my NT37 a couple years ago. It's very efficient and easy to single hand. No exterior wood, two cabins, head with separate stall shower, pilothouse with doors on each side.

Actually, I think that the NT37 is pretty much exactly what the OP was asking for in his post.

The Nordic Tugs were/are built in the PACNW for PACNW conditions. Although our summers can be nice, much of our cruising is in rainy wet weather and boats designed for this weather are somewhat different than boats built for warmer drier places.

I think the Great Harbour N37 without the flybridge might hit some of your wants.

The GH N37 is great, but as you mentioned only a stbd pilothouse door. The Great Harbor 37 however fits the bill nicely. Cost and availability are an issue.

How about the Krogen Manatee? Great boat for a couple. Also some of the sub-40 Bayliners are nice boats.

It sounds like your buy budget should really be more like <150 if you are already sweating fuel costs.

The Krogen Manatee looks like a lot of boat for the money. However, the helm station is up top and not fully enclosed. There are NO sidedecks and there is only one cabin. However the back deck, being large and covered is very nice.

Actually, I think that the NT37 is pretty much exactly what the OP was asking for in his post.

The Nordic Tugs were/are built in the PACNW for PACNW conditions. Although our summers can be nice, much of our cruising is in rainy wet weather and boats designed for this weather are somewhat different than boats built for warmer drier places.

Unfortunately, you are right. The N37 fits all of our wants and needs just about perfectly. The downside, as Retriever pointed out, is that if anything the value of those boats have gone up as the economy has recovered. In many ways it, the N39, and the AT395 are the ideal boat for our purposes in our waters.

The KK 42 is wonderful, but I had a 1983 boat with sandwiched decks that were saturated. I would rather avoid that situation again so the early KK 42s, which are lovely boats and affordable, have that potential. I will be keeping my eye on later models of those boats as well.

Thanks for all the good ideas. It may be that since my wife and I are not in a rush, my back hasn't failed completely yet, my kids still want to sail, and my current boat is almost paid for...., that we will just have to start the patient process of watching for some of these power boats to hit the market at a price that I can make work.

If I was single, I would spend closer to $300k and make adjustments elsewhere in life. If I was to do that now, I would likely soon find myself single.

If I was single, I would spend closer to $300k and make adjustments elsewhere in life. If I was to do that now, I would likely soon find myself single.

Looks like your problem would be solved then.

Here is an outside the box idea, charter this for a week.

http://www.nwexplorations.com/charters/johns-dear/

I seldom recommend charter to experienced boaters but I think one week aboard this boat will put feathers on the darts of your ideas. DeFever makes the quintessential RPH design with covered side and aft decks.

In no way am I suggesting this is the right boat for you only that it should help you think through your plans and calm any questions about handling.

Before you reject the KK42, I would have a serious look at this particular KK42 in Anacortes. I believe the seller might be motivated. It's a 1991. I have a 1985 model and despite what Ksanders said, the cored hull is just fine.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/Krogen-42-2839084/Anacortes/WA/United-States

I believe you will find that your boating destinations might well include much more northern locations and you can certainly do that on this boat. This vessel has been well maintained.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Before you reject the KK42, I would have a serious look at this particular KK42 in Anacortes. I believe the seller might be motivated. It's a 1991. I have a 1985 model and despite what Ksanders said, the cored hull is just fine.

1990 Krogen 42 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I believe you will find that your boating destinations might well include much more northern locations and you can certainly do that on this boat. This vessel has been well maintained.

Jim

What did I say???

EDIT ***

I looked over the thread, and I said nothing about the KK42 hull. The only person who said anything about the KK42 hull was the OP, who indicated that he had one and it had a problem.

For the record... :)

I think the KK42 is one of the finest looking boats I have ever seen. Other than seeing them from the outside I have zero hands on experience with them.

Last edited:
What did I say???

EDIT ***

I looked over the thread, and I said nothing about the KK42 hull. The only person who said anything about the KK42 hull was the OP, who indicated that he had one and it had a problem.

For the record... :)

I think the KK42 is one of the finest looking boats I have ever seen. Other than seeing them from the outside I have zero hands on experience with them.

I'm sorry, my mistake!!!! I misread Ksanders post, as he referred to the cored decks and of course that can be a problem with the earlier hulls. I'm sorry! :-(

Jim

We're good. :)

I really do like the KK42's I've seen... Very nice!

Here is an outside the box idea, charter this for a week.

NW Explorations – Charters, Marine Services and Yacht Sales | 46′ DeFever Pilothouse – John’s Dear - NW Explorations - Charters, Marine Services and Yacht Sales

I seldom recommend charter to experienced boaters but I think one week aboard this boat will put feathers on the darts of your ideas. DeFever makes the quintessential RPH design with covered side and aft decks.

I think the idea of chartering is an excellent one and I would really like to do it this winter. I know it may seem odd to think about a winter charter but....
- It might be less expensive and available over a long weekend instead of a week.
- I want the experience of using a trawler in the typical wet and cool weather we have.
- I am hoping that there might be more boats available in the off season.

1990 Krogen 42 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I had seen that boat on Yachtworld and thought it was pretty interesting. The list price is well above not only my budget but what I would be happy spending on a 25 year old boat. But it does look nice.

I'm sorry, my mistake!!!! I misread Ksanders post, as he referred to the cored decks and of course that can be a problem with the earlier hulls. I'm sorry! :-(

The confusion was my fault. I did have a 1983 boat with soft decks as a result of saturation of a wood core laminate. However, it wasn't a KK, nor even a powerboat. It was a Catalina 36 that I inherited from my Dad who had bought it in terrible shape and slowly brought it back to life.

Having that experience, I am a bit shy of wood cored hulls and decks. They can be great if the are continually well maintained, but it only takes a small amount of water intrusion to create problems.

I think the KK42 is a beautiful boat with a very practical layout. I would be very interested in one if I could find the right one. Have to convince the wife as well though.

I had seen that boat on Yachtworld and thought it was pretty interesting. The list price is well above not only my budget but what I would be happy spending on a 25 year old boat. But it does look nice.

It doesn't cost anything to go on it for a look. If the decks are good, it's worth looking at. Remember, the asking price is just that: an asking price.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom