View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #12
C lectric
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
RE: Dickinson vs Sig Marine heaters

I have a Pacific Dickinson in my boat, a 32' sedan, 33 yrs and counting although it has had a few upgrades and went back to Dickinson about 10 yrs ago for an overhaul.

Get the barometric dampener. You can have to much or too little stack height above the stove. Too much or too little will cause trouble with proper operation. Too much height pulls the flame low in the burner causing dirty burning from too strong a draft and the damper will help with this. Too short a stack there won't be enough draft.

So I got the damper, reduced the stack height to about 10 ft., learned to use the fan and I do use the fan all the time. The fan motor they have used for many years is tiny and works well drawing a very small current. The fan makes a big difference in the burning and it is quiet . I used to get sooting when I didn't use the fan. With the fan that has totally gone away. If you can get the stack height exact the fan won't be required. Some boats can manage that but not all can.

Use of the fan also will help prevent blowbacks or blowouts, particularily when travelling and in windy conditions. When we start travelling I usually turn up the oil valve. The burner will be hotter, the draft stronger and no blowouts.

I have the older cloverleaf design stack cover and it works fine and we have been out in winds about 35 K. If I needed a new one I would likely go with the 'H' bar type.

I used to work about 2 blocks from Dickinson and would go talk to them about my problematic, at the time, stove. They were very helpfull. Since they helped me get the stove working properly it has been great.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote