And so it goes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
Two weeks ago the marina was overrun with Flemings; last week, Nordhavns.

This week there have been more vacant spaces than an Ozark grin.

School?
Fair-weather sailors?
Late August rains?
Shortened days?
Satiated with Dungeness and Coho?

Whatever the reason, this time of year morphs into one of the best seasons for serious BC coastal cruisers. Doesn't much matter where you live on our coast, you are likely not more than an hour away from an anchorage. A secluded anchorage. A September anchorage. An anchorage where you can be completely alone with the eagle, the otter, the Merganser, the misty drizzle, the cozy diesel cabin heat, a good book and a Monte Cristo coffee.

The last week of August you can sense an anxiousness in the air and the day after Labour Day hear a collective sigh from all of nature.

Thanks for coming but thanks for leaving too...

Attachments

• Bute Inlet.jpg
    Bute Inlet.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited by a moderator:
I thank Cape Caution for keeping the riff-raff away from the north and central coasts...you south coast BC boaters should get hero badges for having to deal with the madding crowd :thumb:

Last edited:
" this time of year morphs into one of the best seasons for serious BC coastal cruisers. Doesn't much matter where you live on our coast, you are likely not more than an hour away from an anchorage. A secluded anchorage. A September anchorage. An anchorage where you can be completely alone with the eagle, the otter, the Merganser, the misty drizzle, the cozy diesel cabin heat, a good book and a Monte Cristo coffee.

The last week of August you can sense an anxiousness in the air and the day after Labour Day hear a collective sigh from all of nature.

Thanks for coming but thanks for leaving too..."

Hawgwash, that's beautiful.:socool:

We're actually heading for the Gulf Islands next week for maybe 10 days.

Hawgwash, I enjoyed your commentary. Does that mean when we come up to your beautiful waters, by ourselves, that we won't be welcome?

Our plan is to skip lightly through the San Juans (been there, got the t-shirt) and spend the majority of time in Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. I sure hope it's as quiet and serene as you paint it to be.

Mike- September is a great time to cruise BC as it is far less crowded. But it's not deserted by any means. October can have nice weather but risk of bad weather starts climbing steadily through the month. While we use our boat year round, by the end of October we're pretty much reduced to weekend trips and work and weather (wind) often conspire to keep is in port even then. When we have more time we'll take longer cruises in the October-May season but we'll be prepared to hole up for days on end as the fronts and storms march through one after the other.

October/November are our favorite cruising months on the Gulf Coast.

I think fall on the upper Mississippi is my favorite time to be out on either of my boats, the level is stable and current is slower with no debris. Knowing the end of the season is near makes each trip more enjoyable and the trees turning on the bluffs and islands adds to the beauty of the shore. The sight of pelicans and eagles stopping in the area while on their way south is another plus to being out on a boat with friends who really appreciate it because we are the only ones still here.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Does that mean when we come up to your beautiful waters, by ourselves, that we won't be welcome?

Mike, gee, no, doesn't mean that at all and if that's what you read then I need to scrap the winter diesel classes and sign up diction instead.

Family...you mostly enjoy them while they are here, are happy when they leave and usually tell them to come back.

Living where you do, you must feel some relief, come September, from the constant parade of motorhomes and loud pipes. You can actually get out and enjoy a drive to Chelan, Coos Bay, The Dalles or Sand Point. Well, maybe not Sand Point, but you get the idea.

You're happy to get highway 14 back from all the Alberta tags; Mississippians looking for Helen's volcano with the Crater Lake. That doesn't mean they are unwelcome.

One of the really nice things about fall boating on the BC south coast is that you can find solitude or company if you want it. Row out and get a Ling or Winter Spring; find a table; actually have a half hour chat with the village shop owner who just the month before was a slave to all who would ding-a-ling his screen door.

No Mike, c'mon back.
Beachcomber will be easy to spot most places, for a while.

Last edited:
Thats it, I'm selling the boat and moving to BC!

I thought Oregon was awesome land wise, but I need the sea.

Pre-season can be nice too. Here's Johnstone Strait (I believe) on April 5, 2015. Didn't see many other boats out there.

10115-albums347-picture2224.jpg

Richard
Stillwater
KK54

One of the worst things about being married to a teacher is that there is no flexibility in when we can out an cruise. We are stuck with the high season. My folks enjoyed heading North after Labor Day p, to avoid the crowds but while the weather still nice. I will have to wait until my wife can retire before I can enjoy the off season.

One of the worst things about being married to a teacher....

But, but, but...
You have 2 entire months, if not more, to get way beyond the congestion.

And tell your wife "thanks for what you do."

Ok?

But, but, but...
You have 2 entire months, if not more, to get way beyond the congestion.

And tell your wife "thanks for what you do."

Ok?

Well, she has the time, but I have a tough time getting away from the office for more than a week at a time. This summer we were going to head to Desolation Sound for two weeks but last week of school a student accidentally knocked her down and she broke her arm. Doc was clear that, no, she could go sailing for two weeks this summer. :banghead:

I certainly miss the serenity of postcard perfect reflective waters on a bay surrounded by mountains, having spent the first half of my life in B.C.
During my last visit "home" I certainly noticed the increased tourism thoughout the province.

Here in South Australia, we don't have the snow peaked mountains, or the glassy protected waters, but I still get to enjoy beautiful bays all to myself at any time of the year.

Mike, gee, no, doesn't mean that at all and if that's what you read then I need to scrap the winter diesel classes and sign up diction instead.

No Mike, c'mon back.
Beachcomber will be easy to spot most places, for a while.

No Hawg, don't skip that winter diesel class. I was just pushing your leg a bit. I know what it's like up there in high season when all the good spots are taken by 10:00 in the morning. I'm looking forward to being up there later in the season after all the rug rats are back in school and their families back at work. That's a time when heaven isn't as crowded but still beautiful as always.

Well, she has the time, but I have a tough time getting away from the office for more than a week at a time. This summer we were going to head to Desolation Sound for two weeks but last week of school a student accidentally knocked her down and she broke her arm. Doc was clear that, no, she could go sailing for two weeks this summer. :banghead:

Too bad! If you had a trawler, you could have gone sailing with her.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom