View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #35
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Recommendations for a new windlass

Hi again Steve,By mechanical do you mean manual? What is and where is the "chain drum"? Well I see bigger boats DO have options for lighter ground tackle. Fifteen feet of water? You must boat in anchoring haven. I like your drill. We do much the same but that act is going to get real slick this summer w our crew communicators. I will be able to constantly (or nearly so) talk to Chris not only about what comes next but why and possible alternatives as well. Boat handling 101.
Marin,
A combination winch/gypsy is unacceptable. I don't like the splice and I don't like punishment I think the line is subjected too. About that "next generation" item I'll wait and see over much time. But your're right. It would be the ideal system for the ideal rode
(combination) that I've ever heard about. Just don't like it. I am open to possibly (remotely) an all chain system w a good high pressure washdown system. Three years ago when we talked about this I didn't like the weight of all chain and I'm 100% of the same opinion now.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote