Jabsco Side Hull Waste Fitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gypsylounge

My dad just purchased a 1979 42' Grand Banks Europa with a very unusual Jabsco side hull waste pump out fitting. If anyone has any idea what the part number for this it would be a big help trying to track one down. I understand they are no longer in production but I'm sure there is a dusty box out there somewhere with one in it.
The handle broke and now it can not be opened. The Vent fitting on the inside also broke off.
Most are suggesting we replace this with a traditional deck fill but that would leave this one in the side. We are going to try our best to find one before giving up.
Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMAG8200.jpg
    IMAG8200.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 108
How about a similar shaped block of white starboard using same screw pattern and normal pumpout fitting and vent inserted?

Aw shucks.....I'll get nailed because it isn't ABYC approved, can't be bought off the shelf at West Marine for 10X the cost, wasn't recommended by the local experts personally known, didn't have a 20 page write up in some boating mag, is garbage because it was offered up by an unknown source on the internet.

Plus I am on the east coast and really don't know anything about "tough" boating, am not safety conscious enough, too prone to cost and corner cutting....hmmm at a loss for all the other things right now...

But other than that...I might give it a go if it were my derelict liveaboard....:D

Q!@!!!

My dad just purchased a 1979 42' Grand Banks Europa with a very unusual Jabsco side hull waste pump out fitting. If anyone has any idea what the part number for this it would be a big help trying to track one down. I understand they are no longer in production but I'm sure there is a dusty box out there somewhere with one in it. Thank you

If there is, you don't want it. It's #2 in my "failed devices that rival Chernobyl" file. I first came across one of these in 2011...that one was installed in the gunwhale of a boat. Shortly thereafter I discovered another one in the side of a Grand Banks. So I put out an SOS to all the people in the sanitation industry who'd been around long enough to have the slightest clue about it...and received this reply:

"I worked for Jabsco in those years and do remember the fitting you are showing. It appears to be a plastic fitting which by this time would be of little use. One of the reason the impeller discharge pumps have a 1-1/2" threaded end is because the original thought was that you could screw that in to discharge though the deck plate, but it was never adopted because on the mess issue. There were a number of blow up disasters trying to pump through the deck discharge plate. Maybe Phil will remember as he was the Jabsco Sales Manager at that time. (Phil's only advice was, "If you decide to test it, be sure to stand UP wind of it!") "I would recommend installing a current deck discharge fitting in a fabricated plate to cover the hole and if he wants to discharge over board install a through-hull fitting."

It was first designed to shoot tank contents from side deck or gunwhale...when that turned out to be a predictable disaster, they tried using it to shoot holding tank contents out the side of the boat WELL above the waterline (I don't think the Jehovah's Witnesses will try coming alongside your boat in a dinghy again if you do that, but not such a great idea otherwise)...and the entertainment value of the one mounted in the gunwhale could have redefined Old Faithful!"

So,unless you want to be on hand with a video camera to turn your dad into the next viral UTube star, I have to agree--but reluctantly because the mental images are so great--with everyone else who's recommended that he install a "regular deck pumpout fitting.

Last edited:
Thank you all for ideas but I think after reviewing Peggie's post we will be installing a traditional deck mounted pump out fitting. I really appreciate everyone's feedback and consideration

Inch and a half is the new common size , when you purchase it.

Back
Top Bottom