Updated Boating Costs - December 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FF wrote:

It's clearly a superior system. That's why the world adopted it so quickly ...except stubborn us.

Superior system ? in what way?

If you have to ask the question, you won't understand the answer
smile.gif

I was exposed to the metric system*in doing business*overseas. In my opinion the metric system is much easier to work with-once you are accustomed to it.
Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Friday 31st of December 2010 04:14:55 PM

In the context of boating navigation, the nautical mile is the most important measure of distance for me.* We all know it is neither based on*metric (1852 meters) or English (6080 feet) systems, but rather based on one minute of arc of latitude.

Mark,
In other countries do they use kilometers or knots? I think knots. Is the knot a bastard number? Why do we use it? "based on one minute of arc of latitude."**** fine if the world was a cylinder but it's a sphere so we rarely go directly north or south. Lets start using statute miles and see if it catches on. Happy new year Mark*** ...and all!

"Lets start using statute miles and see if it catches on."

Most of the US motorboat/marine motorist world already uses land miles as the dealers prefer a 18( mumble mumble) to a 15K boat at sales time.

Its also easier to not slip below 1 mpg , when the miles are little shrunken miles.

nomadwilly wrote:fine if the world was a cylinder but it's a sphere so we rarely go directly north or south.
confuse.gif
I realise it is early on New Year's Day but did I miss something?

Happy New Year to all on our more or less sperical planet!

Yea Rick I dropped the ball a bit on that one. What I was thinking is that one can go in distance (relative to latitude) directly north or south and wherever you are a degree of latitude is the same distance but in any other direction degrees of longitude will be different so why use "one minute of arc of latitude." Perhaps I should open a book and find out just what an " of arc of latitude." is. Sorry.

I have worked in metric and *British units all my life, well except for the first 12 years. Being measurement "bilingual" is just a way of life around the world. The world's measurement systems are rife with technical non metric numbers such as nautical as mentioned. How about cook books,*points on the compass, absolute 0, degrees Kelvin and light years? The list is endless.

To assume the US is backwards because we have not adopted the metric system, is backwards. The world and space really don't*revolve around metric as some would suggest. This commonality argument can transcend into languages, currencies and the*ounce of gold.*Or how about ideal body weight, religions, political parties and Apple vs Microsoft. I was living in Canada years ago when they went metric - the main rationale was to "get away" from the US, follow Britain (which voted against metric in the long run - God bless the Brits they voted against the Euro too!)*- and then came the adoption of French, eh!

Disobeying the metric Mullahs of the world is really OK, in fact it is the American way of life.

When dealing with the metric system, I think of a kilometer*as six-tenths of a mile, a liter as a big quart, and a meter as a long yard.

I've noticed that in the U.S. military, gunnery ranges*were usually expressed in terms of yards rather than miles*or feet until recent years because of joint operations with allies where meters are used.

Metrics is useful , since its on lots of tape measures.

IF I measure say 3ft 9 inches and 7/16 I would have to wright it down , or simply mark a tic stick.

With the metric is a simpler number to carry the length .

But I would hate to build a house with US lumber and no US ruler!

We have been metric for over 40 years now but the old gum trees to the acre still persists in some areas.
Especially in the building industry.
It is not uncommon to hear a builder ask for a 3.2 meter length of 3" x 2" etc.
I still think of boats in feet as for length.
All nautical stuff is in knots and car speeds I am happy with KM/hr

Benn

Jay N wrote:
Have never heard of a "chain" in maritime parlance. A "shot" of chain is very common: 90 feet.
On my USCG license exam the question was,"How much is a shot of chain".

To me it would be hard to guess if you didn't know whether it was name brand or from the rail (think shot of liquor).

Ted

O C Diver wrote:

Jay N wrote:
Have never heard of a "chain" in maritime parlance. A "shot" of chain is very common: 90 feet.

To me it would be hard to guess if you didn't know whether it was name brand or from the rail (think shot of liquor).

TedAnd then there is "Chain Shot", which is two cannon balls chained together, which was used in naval warfare in the age of sailing ships. Probably that much more effective when fired into the rigging.

Carey wrote:

O C Diver wrote:

Jay N wrote:

TedAnd then there is "Chain Shot", which is two cannon balls chained together, which was used in naval warfare in the age of sailing ships. Probably that much more effective when fired into the rigging.

And then there is "shot chain" which is what is in my chain locker needing replacement.

"On my USCG license exam the question was,"How much is a shot of chain". "

Sorta gives a picture of the value of "Government " issued Licenses.

sunchaser wrote:

...follow Britain (which voted against metric in the long run - God bless the Brits they voted against the Euro too!)....
The British don't really know what to do.* They sell fuel by the litre, measure road distances in miles, land distances in kilometres, weight in pounds, kilograms, and stones, speeds in miles per hour except where they decided to measure it in kilometres per hour,*and build their vehicles with a mix of standard fasteners (1/2", 9/16", etc) and metric fasteners.* Our Range Rover uses standard fasteners on the frame, metric fasteners on the chassis, body, and engine components (except for the ones that are are standard), and probably if one looked deep enough there are some Whitworth fastners thrown in for good measure, too.

marinetrader wrote:

Diesel is $265.00 here in Florida
One can only hope that is the cost of 100 gallons.*
no.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom