Taking the Plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First-Welcome Steve! You cannot have a better example than Friar George!

Good Friar-glad to hear from you again, I was beginning to worry that you were having too much fun to keep us updated!

Last edited:
Welcome Steve3377 or I should say welcome neighbor .

Great pics more please

frg...

I have a 3 bank 50A ProN C series & like it... I added the remote readout and really like being able to see what the charger is doing from the helm / salon.
Also recommended is the temp sensor - I don't have one but may be worth it in your warmer clime.

Thanks for tuning me into these Bacchus! Did some research and they are quite the unit. Just installed a 40 amp with the remote...Very nice! (Stirling, same as the Pronautic). Mine came with the temp sensor..

20150824_144116-vi.jpg

20150824_121654-vi.jpg

Excellent pricing here: http://baymarinesupply.com/store/electrical/chargers-inverters.htmlhttp://baymarinesupply.com/store/electrical/chargers-inverters.html

Last edited:
Thanks for tuning me into these Bacchus! ]

Heron
Glad it helped.
I really like having the remote...quick glance gives you good idea what's going on w battys. I can even tell when I leave the bilge lights on while at the dock as draw is enough to notice.

Don
'08 MS 34HT
"Bacchus"

Greetings,
Mr. frg. With 2 successful crossings you're fully in the loop. Congratulations. Pray tell, how was the fishing?

No worries about thread hijack. Please welcome those newer than me and support them.

Fishing. Well, apparently it is true that I am a **** magnet. No fish were caught on either trip. We were simply feeding them with every cast.

We did have a great time with snorkeling. I got to swim and see many wonderful fish. I was able to buy corrective lenses for my mask. For the first time in my 50 yrs on this planet I can see under water. What a blessing and a pleasure to share this with my grand kids.

Next topic - batteries and chargers.

I need to get lenses for my mask might be nice to actually see things more then 2 feet away

Greetings,
"...We were simply feeding them with every cast." A true conservationist! Much like myself.

I need to get lenses for my mask might be nice to actually see things more then 2 feet away

The lenses were only $30 odd dollars each. I have -4.5 in one eye and -5
In the other. I got two -5 lenses. They put them in right at the store. It is well worth the expense for me as I am totally blind without lenses. Contacts and I just do not get along so this is a perfect solution for me.

Next on list? Spear fishing for hog fish. Yum!!!!

Greetings,
"...We were simply feeding them with every cast." A true conservationist! Much like myself.

My advice? If u want fresh fish, go to Publix!!!!

Last edited:
John and Kathy

George and Betty Jo,

We are about 6 months behind you!!!! Keep us posted!!!

John and Kathy
Montauk, Ny

The lenses were only $30 odd dollars each. I have -4.5 in one eye and -5
In the other. I got two -5 lenses. They put them in right at the store. It is well worth the expense for me as I am totally blind without lenses. Contacts and I just do not get along so this is a perfect solution for me.

Next on list? Spear fishing for hog fish. Yum!!!!

Mine are not that bad my wife on the other hand are -11 and -12.5 they may have to use the lens from the hubble for her

Better still, get the goggles to put the lenses in that also have a built in underwater (obviously) camera, capable of still and video, so you can enjoy what you saw all over again on the big screen. We did and they are great. Not that costly either.

Better still, get the goggles to put the lenses in that also have a built in underwater (obviously) camera, capable of still and video, so you can enjoy what you saw all over again on the big screen. We did and they are great. Not that costly either.

I have seen them but never used one interesting

Right behind you

We are about 6 months behind you. Currently looking for a Diesel Duck (40-50) and getting ready to sell the house in Montauk, New York. Fortunately, NYC hipsters are paying stupid money for our homes out here, so we hope the transition is financially feasible. Waiting to hear about the four legged adjustment....we have two of them!!!!

John and Kathy in Montauk

Nothing much to report this week. Praying for all our forum friends; especially those headed our way trying to fulfill there dreams aboard.

Go now, go small, just go!

George+

We are about 6 months behind you. Currently looking for a Diesel Duck (40-50) and getting ready to sell the house in Montauk, New York. Fortunately, NYC hipsters are paying stupid money for our homes out here, so we hope the transition is financially feasible. Waiting to hear about the four legged adjustment....we have two of them!!!!

John and Kathy in Montauk

Go John and Kathy! Go!

Nothing much to report this week. Praying for all our forum friends; especially those headed our way trying to fulfill there dreams aboard.

Go now, go small, just go!

George+

kinda like go small or go home?

It's called "fishing" not " catching" for a reason!

Just popping in to say hello. We've been busy on 10 Knots enjoying life. I hope all of you are having fun too!

Am I just a real SOB or is there anyone else out there living in a Marina that makes up nicknames for the "characters" you encounter there?

The names we have come up with are not flattering at all and, if they didn't make me laugh my ass off every time I said them I'd feel guilty about it.

And.......GO

You mean people like the guy that used to dock across the marina from me? 'screamy crashy?'

We have some village idiots at our marina. These people next to us in a really run down TT, So their AC pump went out one day and instead of spending the mere 300 bucks or so they hooked it DIRECTLY to the garden hose. So they ran this way for about a week or so until the marina caught them and fined them thousands. Makes sense right, couldn't have just bought a 300 buck pump and be done with it.

Well... we've had or still have: the Mayor / the Gangster / Mr. Cigar / Miss Silicone / Dum Dum / and, that A-Hole... on our dock!

:ermm:
Just popping in to say hello. We've been busy on 10 Knots enjoying life. I hope all of you are having fun too!

Am I just a real SOB or is there anyone else out there living in a Marina that makes up nicknames for the "characters" you encounter there?

The names we have come up with are not flattering at all and, if they didn't make me laugh my ass off every time I said them I'd feel guilty about it.

And.......GO
Yes we have names for a bunch here in our dock . I'm sure they have some for me as well .We are the ones that can't keep the saw horses of our boat plus painting , sanding or varnishing . I just keep telling them we're almost done . I fix them a drink if it gets to bad.

Greetings,
Mr. frg. Glad to hear things are working out well for y'all. Enjoy. As to "nicknames"...Nope, we do have characters about but we usually refer to them by name or "that guy on the green sailboat" or "the woman with the lazy eye". Nothing judgmental really. NOW, we may comment "that guy on the green sailboat" is tanked again in a disparaging tone but not much more than that.
So, to answer your question, keeping in mind I've met you both, SOB? Just a bit.

Last edited:
How funny! Thanks everyone for the responses.

Now keep in mind these nicknames in no way reflect what we think of these folk. Well, to be honest some do but, we get along with most everyone here. Some don't want to be gotten along with and sadly some are just too far gone to know any different.

Most of the nicknames we came up with describe one of their personal attributes or their actions.

For example; there is a fellow who drinks way too much most every night - yes even more than yours truly! At lest once a week he falls in the water and has to be fished out. We call him Captain Splash.

Another fellow dresses up with white linen trousers and jacket, no shirt, just a scarf knotted around his neck with gold chains to match. He wears a captains hat that you would have seen Dean Martin or Bin Crosby wearing in the old movies. He introduced himself to us as Captain Black. Fair enough.

Some time I'll tell you about Hot Lips, two Cane Phil and his wife wigwam Wilma. Then there is Johnny Fruit Cup and a whole lot more.

As some of you said I am sure the wife and I have nicknames, many not nearly as kind.

I don't ever belittle any of these folks. We're all trying to live a dream. It's just that some folks go about achieving that dream in a far different manner than I would.

I wish everyone God's blessing and care but, even God has to get a chuckle out of all of us at some time or another.

Take care my dear friends and fair winds to you all.

George+

great reading

just wanted to wish you all the best and was great reading... its just gone midnight here in the cold UK
heather and I are hoping to do the same thing buying a boat in the USA and doing the ICW down the keys etc.. so found this a great post
look forward to more and thanks to you all
heather and steve

Congratulations on the progress that you have made. Just read the 30 pages and I have to admit that there were times when I was worried that there would be a surprise and fateful ending to your dream project. You found a boat and you are now making her yours. You started near the bottom, experience-wise and you are climbing the learning ladder.

If I could throw in one bit of advise from this point forward, I'd say that because you have accomplished some objectives, don't allow yourself to become complacent.

I have done just that at times and the moment one lets his guard down is the moment when Murphy enters the picture. For example, I was very familiar with the tower that marked the shipping lanes outside of Newport Rhode Island. On a partially foggy day, I knew that by the time I moved past that tower, I would be able to set an accurate course toward Block Island. I was cock-sure that I could use that tower to use as a way-point to take me directly to Block. An hour later, after realizing that I was not getting any closer to "The Tower" or to Block Island, I discovered "The Tower" was a tug boat pushing a barge and that I was heading to Connecticut!

Those trips to Bimini you made were indeed accomplishments, especially without an auto-pilot. Your voyages may have been more than you might have wanted to take on had the winds changed to fresh out of the north and going against the stream.

You are doing great things. Your pride and confidence will be sure to build. And through the whole experience, you are living the dream and have been enjoying the ocean! I envy you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom