View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #75
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
The rule in our harbor is that a boat cannot extend out into the fairway beyond the end of the boat's sllp's finger. The port does not get super anal about this as there are boats around with dinghies that might go a foot or two past the end and the port doesn't seem to mind.

Hulls or pulpits or bowsprits are not supposed to extend over the main dock, either. Again, the port is somewhat tolerant of this as long as the overhang is not extreme or poses any sort of hazard. They have security who walk the docks periodically during the day and night so anything obvious would be quickly noticed and dealt with.

From what I see in the other harbors I've been in up here these rules seem pretty universal in this area.

The differences in east coast and PNW docking/slip practices seem quite different and it would be interesting to know how they both got started the way they did. The east coast has a much longer history of shipping/boating/fishing than the west coast so I imagine that practices in that region that are the norm today had a logical start in the past even if they seem odd to boaters in other regions today.

I suppose some of it might have had to do with the differences in tidal ranges although I assume in New England the tidal ranges are starting to get pretty significant. I know by the time one gets up into the Canadian Maritimes they are very significant.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote