Refrigeration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gonesailing13

Vessel Name
Graceful
Vessel Make
Marine Trader
Our old refrig finally quit on us. Too old to try and repair so we started looking for a new one. Came up with two in our price range so now decision time. One I've heard of, that's Isotherm, the other I haven't, that's Dometic. There both priced about the same but not sure which would be better. Anyone have any experience with either of these,good or bad. Need to get one before the beer get's warm.

Warm beer is a bad thing

just a few months ago was a good thread on this subject

Which one fits the existing hole? Which one will go through the door or window of your boat? I have heard good things about both.

Refrigerator

Recently replaced my Tundra (now Dometic) T80, two door fridge with a Nova Kool RFU9000 and am very happy. All the other models of the same size had rear cooling. The Nova Kool has the cooling exhausting in the front and has the freezer at the bottom. The freezer and the refrigerator compartments each have their own cooling. Though more expensive then Norcold or Dometic I feel I made the right choice.

I replaced my Norcold refrig with a 110 v apartment refrig for $89 added a 2000 watt inverter and switch gear to run on 12v for $150. Now when the frig goes, I just toss it and get another apartment size. Inexpensive and quiet.

I replaced my Norcold refrig with a 110 v apartment refrig for $89 added a 2000 watt inverter and switch gear to run on 12v for $150. Now when the frig goes, I just toss it and get another apartment size. Inexpensive and quiet.

After punching a hole in my freezer coil on a norcold frig I'm in the process of doing exactly that. Found a Frigidaire with almost the exact dimensions that is frost free, 120v. Cost to do everything less than $350. Norcold informed me that there is no way to recharge system even if I fixed the hole. Was quoted $750 plus shipping for a new cooling system to replace the old one. Heck, I can buy 2 Frigs for that price and get a better unit to boot. I find it outrageous the prices some of these guys charge for anything with the word "marine" attached to it. I can hook it up to my inverter if need arises...

Three years with Isotherm units. Very happy with power draw. No mechanical or electrical problems so far.

Loved the Isotherm in the old boat. The Nova Cool in our NP 39 seems to be pretty good.

Rob

"I just toss it and get another apartment size. Inexpensive and quiet."

How many days can you go on battery power, with out the noisemaker or power hose?

Efficient refrigeration is for the folks that wish to anchor a couple of days in silence,

Anything will work if there is constant power like in a dirt house.

The cruising style will determine the requirements.

"I just toss it and get another apartment size. Inexpensive and quiet."

How many days can you go on battery power, with out the noisemaker or power hose?

Efficient refrigeration is for the folks that wish to anchor a couple of days in silence,

Anything will work if there is constant power like in a dirt house.

The cruising style will determine the requirements.

So true. I run 12 volt only when cruising (engine charging batteries). Refrig will hold cold overnight if not too hot outside. In So. Louisiana (in the summer) have to run the generator for the A/C. i.e. frig also. If you want to stay dry sleeping.LOL

So true. I run 12 volt only when cruising (engine charging batteries). Refrig will hold cold overnight if not too hot outside. In So. Louisiana (in the summer) have to run the generator for the A/C. i.e. frig also. If you want to stay dry sleeping.LOL

Exactly, you're running the genny at anchor anyway for the AC down here during summer months. When it cools off in fall and winter refrig will stay cool over night. These new house hold mini frigs hold very well overnight.

I went the other way. I tossed the cheapo apt fridge the PO had installed and got a big $$$ marine one. Fit right in the original opening, same screw holes and everything.

I'm so glad I did. Running the inverter and inefficient fridge really cost me a lot of "quiet time" on the hook and at moorings.

It all depends on how you use the boat I suppose.

"Refrig will hold cold overnight if not too hot outside."

Try some of the blue goo , freeze it dockside if there is space in the freezer compartment.

I replaced my old norcold 0061 with a swing compessor with a nova cool ru9000. my impressions so far after 2 weeks are... the nova cool is not as well insulated as the NorCold, the sides of the cabinet it is Mounted in are cool to the touch . The latches on the fridge and freezer seemed really cheap and I do not think they will hold up. Now the good part I am in South Florida and the cabin temperature here routinely gets in the nineties. the new fridge has been easily able to keep the refrigerator temperature below 40 on the setting of 5 out of 7. The Norcold could not keep the box temperature of 40 while running on AC, and when running on DC you were lucky to keep the box temperature under 50. I have no way to monitor power usage, but my impressions are the Nova cool uses less current. The nova cool is very quiet, the old nor cold could be heard from any room in the boat

"the nova cool is not as well insulated as the NorCold,"

Hit it with the lazer thermometer to see, and

Glue on a couple of inches of added insulation , if you can.

It is a small issue but one of which you should be aware when making a decision on whether to get efficient 12 v refrigeration or household 110/220 units. Even if you are willing to use the generator to recharge the batteries frequently, battery life is determined in part by the number of cycles. My household units used 400 amp hrs per day, my 12 v units approximately 140 amp hrs per day. The number of cycles on my battery bank has decreased.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom