Clamp meter...>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heron

Guru
Vessel Name
Heron (2)
Vessel Make
'88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
There's been a lot of discussion over the worth of these. Just picked up a nice one from MCM for <$60. Should meet most of my needs. AC/DC amps and volts, ...complete with leads so it should be pretty versatile..

20150824_173123-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a very small opening for the AMP sensing. Will it fit around a good size battery cable?

Looks like a very small opening for the AMP sensing. Will it fit around a good size battery cable?

1/2" opening which is about as big as any battery cables on my boat.
I'd be more concerned with individual draws on smaller wires, so this should work juat fine...

Last edited:
Bought mine at Sears. About $50 - $60. Same size opening as the pictured Klein version. The bigger opening provides more latitude in viewing the screen. But, hey, if it does the job it must be OK. Used it quite a bit tracing battery cables that disappeared into places unknown. Used a magic marker to put an arrow on mine to indicate direction of current flow.

I had one of the first AC/DC clamp meters from SEARS for around $60...unfortunately didn't last a year.

Might have been just my luck...the Klein is 3X bigger, more robust and many more cool features...for me I hated to buy again and double the price...but it has been worth it.

If one is considering purchasing a clampmeter then look for one that says TRUE RMS.

It does make a difference in the meters ability to accurately portray the current and voltage especially on circuits fed by inverters otherwise the readings will be off, more than enough to indicate a problem OR say all is ok when it is not.

Look up the difference and it does matter in many situations.

The clamp is also really useful as a way to hang the meter off of something so your hands are free to use the leads. :thumb:

Later,
Dan

I have a good a good AC/DC clamp on ammeter sold by Ancor- almost $200 and a cheap on made in China- about $60. The Ancor meter is much more stable. When I first turn it on it usually reads an amp or so but when I punch the zero button it goes to zero.

The Chinese one will read 5-10 amps when I first turn it on. Even if I zero it, turn it off and then on, it sometimes is off that much. Makes me question its readings if the zero point can shift that much.

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom