Documentation Dysfunction – Serious Issue for Buyers and Sellers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do not believe documentation services get any preferential treatment..could be wrong..

The USCG generally doesn't work like that and I never noticed doc service packages getting through any faster if all OK.

I had a similar problem getting my documentation done and boarding in the last year and half in the Sarasota to Tampa bay area has been very common

And yes I got boarded by the USCG not once but 2 times before I got my Doc back

on the first Boarding I had the state paperwork and the bill of sales and the old Doc

I started explaining to the boarding officer about the hold up he didnt want to hear it just wanted to know if I had any illegals on board and the location of the gun ( they asked by radio before boarding about the gun)

the 2nd time I got boarded the first thing he asked was did they ever get your documentation done ( it was not the same boarding officer) and then went through the same routine

From my understanding of the documentation services: They don't garner any more preference in your application over a 'self completed' app. Where they are involved is submitting a COMPLETE and accurate application. Once an app has been submitted (which takes months) any further reprocessing takes more months which even further exacerbates the process. Any errors at all greatly delay the application. This removal of any errors is what the documentation servers are good at smoothing over.

I can understand a complicated documentation...but most of us are just buying a completely clear (except maybe an outstanding preferred mortgage) documented vessel and other than a couple signatures and a couple sheets of paper....

I have done my last 2 and no issues getting the documentation fast...there were just hidden errors within that the USCG hadn't noticed even on the prior documentation issues.

While the costs for a doc service aren't totally out of line...that money for filling out less paperwork than even simple tax forms feels better in my pocket than someone elses.

For thse that have never done their own documentation....read the steps and look over the forms. If you think you will have the info and can follow what the forms are asking for, try it yourself...it isn't difficult at all.

They don't garner any more preference in your application over a 'self completed' app. Where they are involved is submitting a COMPLETE and accurate application.

I was the naval architect for the USCG / Industry task force that wrote the rules for certificating the stability of sailing school vessels. I did things like prove the equivalent safety of the wooden "Spirit of Massachusetts" to rules for steel vessel for assignment of international load line (first time in this country a boat of that type ever received one). I used to submit inches thick applications on behalf of clients to the Coast Guard and fly down to headquarters frequently for meetings. I handled numerous USCG supervised stability tests and stability approvals. The bulk of my career was spent dealing with the Coast Guard. I put my last vessel into documentation myself a decade ago and had a COD a week after I began the process.

The document that the broker sent showed up in their system showed up in less than 12 hours. They can't even find the documents I have sent three times, including two copies directly to the webmaster who is looking for them. They still can't find them.

I don't think a "self completed application" is the problem here.

There are 47 gazzilion laws on the books. If you simply take a breath, you are probably breaking a few of them....

Guaranteed.
I used to tell rookies when following a suspect vehicle.
"Take your time. They'll do something soon enough, and you have your PC";) . Too many potentially good criminal cases are lost at the traffic stop.

Well, yes. I may view this issue differently as a result of a big part of my career being spent consulting to operators of USCG inspected vessels and also as a pilot observing the way FAA inspectors work.
It only takes one young turk trying to make a name for himself or one boarding officer having a bad day to ruin your whole day. I've seen over and over that, when a line officer makes a dumb discretion call, the SOP of both the Coast Guard and the FAA is to back him up all the way. I've fought these things all the way up to headquarters on behalf of clients.

Sure, the "Coast Guard" knows but it's only the opinion of the guy who boards your boat that counts.

Roger, I understand your concern.
As one who has been in LE most of my adult life, spent years as a boarding officer with Uncle Sam's Confused Group, and spent way too many years working with and around lawyers, I too tend to take a different perspective on regs as well. Then again, I also realize that there's usually a way around most problems, and there's almost always "another level" to which the problems can be taken, but as you stated, one rogue newbie or one having a bad day, "can" screw up your day, but as others have mentioned we just did the paperwork as boarding officers. Admin fines, etc., were done at a higher level by the admin and "O" types, not by the "boots on the boats" peeps.

...they would be crazy to push action against an individual that legally purchased a legally and clear documented vessel. It would show a flawed system...Now other actions such as government leins for environmental issues, taxes, etc are a different story...

Very true. Want to start a Sheet storm, start routinely screwing with the public over problems that you (government) created, and watch the defecate strike the rotating assembly! Realistically, the IRS does this daily, but that's a much larger, better funded, and much more complex organization to deal with.

While a boarding officer gets a lot of latitude...a good number of seniors would oversight the "seizure" of a vessel for a documentation issue that is pretty easy to verify was legal. Now they may tie you up for 24 hours till some basics are resolved...but removing you from your vessel would as I earlier posted...would be pretty drastic.

Aye!:thumb:

...It really irritates me that the USCG can't find a way for me to do that.

It's not that they "can't." That's giving them too much latitude. It's that they "won't." This entire matter could be corrected quickly and relatively simply, buy privatization and open competition. As with most businesses that compete for the same clientele, if you're not better/cheaper/or a combination of the above, you're out of the game. The fees could remain set by the gub'ment so they "get's their nickel", and allow the private corps to set a "reasonable fee" within certain parameters for their work. This could even be done at a contract level. At that point, it's mostly speed and efficiency that will win.

Alternatively, with today's electronic environment, I'd be willing to bet that the entire process could be completed electronically in a few hours max! No need for "faxes", "mailing" or any of that other antiquated nonsense.

...The guys on the water are usually pretty cool is you have some paperwork and a logical explaination...they don't have the CFRs memorized and really don't want to get into a paperwork tangle.

Amen! As one formerly in that position, I'll 2nd that!
We were looking for criminal, safety, and marine environmental issues.
The rest of that stuff was "noted" and to my knowledge, never acted upon.

I've had my own horror story with the NVDC. I tried to make a change to my documentation midyear, and faxed them all the paperwork last February. Last August, while we were out at the islands (way out of cell range) I got a nasty voicemail from the NVDC telling me that my application was incomplete, and I had 72 hours to remedy it or I would forfeit my money and my place in line. Well, a week later when we got back I called them.

It turns out the fax machine had jammed during the call and one of the pages was incomplete. Needless to say, I was speechless. I work for local government, so I've got no illusions as to their efficiency, but this was a new low. At this point I should mention that I've worked on the end of a phone line before, so I prefer not to yell or mistreat someone who's personally not at fault just to make myself feel better. But the treatment I got from the lady at the CG was outrageous. I finally broke my own rule, and in a calm determined voice told her to shred my application and keep my money, I was going to refile with a documentation company, and to consider my fee a cheap learning experience in governmental incompetence. I expressed my gratitude that the operational folks at the CG didn't operate in a similar fashion, as I'd hate to wait four months after calling for help to hear they were busy and not coming to get me. That it was a joke to wait four months to tell me I had 72 hours to fix a problem on their end. And after all that, I didn't even feel better.

So I paid a documentation company to resubmit, but with an additional change. Low and behold, a few weeks later I got a certificate of documentation in the mail. Without the additional change. My best guess is that the lady at NVDC realized the ridiculousness of the whole thing and completed my "incomplete" application.

At any rate, the folks with the boots on the ground (or is it deck in this case) are well aware of the shortcomings of those in the rear echelon. I can't imagine that you would have any issue unless you force their hand by being a knucklehead during the inspection.

You my friend, have much more patience than I in dealing with stupid and arrogant combinations. I fought our states department of revenue (now if you want to see incompetence at it's finest, look there), over a mere $50.00 "penalty" and $10.00 "interest"penalty", and won! *Hint* you can't add interest and penalties to an improper fine, unless you're with the IRS. Generally when I encounter people like that, I almost immediately conclude any conversation with them, and start climbing the food chain until I find something a bit more edible. There truly is a lot that "can" be done, it's just knowing where and how to do it. In the case of government, it sometimes involves the press. Other times, lawyers and a "class" of victims of the behavior.

Everything you stated is correct. However there is a work around. Get the state documentation. Register your boat with NY (or wherever home state is) and then your legal. Then let the state reg lapse once the COD comes in the mail.

... But, unless I peeved off a boarding officer they don't look that hard at the details. They just want 'some' info to fill up their boarding report, and most importantly want to ascertain sobriety, flares, PFDs, Overboard valve and fire extinguishers. Then there gone to the next hapless victim. I think the key to the issue is to not tick off the boarding officer. When you hear someone getting mouthy, that's when they get more inquisitive.

Thanks Cappy!:thumb: Always a fix somewhere, and like you said, there's more important things on the B.O.'s plate than docs. Just keep it pro, try not to piss off someone whose probably hot, tired and maybe a little stressed out, and you're golden!

My only real concern with this entire matter, is where to the fines for this stuff go? How is the money distributed? I "assume" into a general fund? If someone knows, please advise.
With our government being so inept, and the deficit rising by the hour, I can (and have) seen more stringent enforcement (and fines) of things that have in the past been overlooked or minimized. Where there's money to be taken, leave it to our folks in Washington to figure out a way to do it.

HOW DO I REQUEST PRIORITY HANDLING?

See Instructions Page on our website for details.
Top of Page
MAY I RECEIVE FAXED COPIES OF COMPLETED PRODUCTS PRIOR TO MAILING?

Requests for faxing of Certificates of Documentation, Letters of Deletion, Certificates of Ownership and recorded instruments such as Preferred Mortgages, Bills of Sale, Notices of Claim of Lien, and Satisfactions of Mortgage in combination to mailing will require an additional Certified Copy fee of $4.00 for each item.
Top of Page

coulda shoulda woulda

Documentation services do not get special treatment. However, they do know what is going on internally at the processing facility at a given time, they do submit paperwork not only correctly, but exactly how the center wants it, and they do know how to reach the right people to follow up on any problems. They are aware of the changes made this week or last. The fees are quite reasonable. I only know that I hear of people having issues all the time when self filing and don't hear of problems using the good services.

Twice I've filed for priority handling and both have been processed and to me in less than two weeks.

But then I also use passport services which many would consider a waste of money.

Documentation services do not get special treatment. However, they do know what is going on internally at the processing facility at a given time, they do submit paperwork not only correctly, but exactly how the center wants it, and they do know how to reach the right people to follow up on any problems. They are aware of the changes made this week or last. The fees are quite reasonable. I only know that I hear of people having issues all the time when self filing and don't hear of problems using the good services.

Twice I've filed for priority handling and both have been processed and to me in less than two weeks.

But then I also use passport services which many would consider a waste of money.

I'm with you. It's not so much that I can't do a lot of this stuff, but that I don't want to do it!

Heck, I can use my time more productively for business, spending time with friends and family, or wasting time on TF:rofl:

Seriously, I work doing what I do well, so I can pay others to do what they do well It works well for everyone that way:thumb:

One thing to keep in mind is that govt agencies only get their increase in funding if they show they are backed up with work. If they worked efficiently and got everything done quickly, the increase in funding would not be approved.

I generally prefer to do everything myself. That stopped years ago for taxes. My current (documented) vessel was transferred by an agency maybe 13 years ago, but I've handled it since. Same with radio licenses, Nexus passes, passports, and so on. One thing that helps me is comprehensive email archives and a tool (I use 1password) to keep track of logins. And, most important, an email address that will NEVER get turned off (I've had my own domain and email for at least 25 years).

The one exception was my USCG license. There was a local lady who had done this from the government side and retired, and prepared my packet for something like $150. She retired from that so I'll have to do that myself now.

A lot of not too pleasant things being thrown at government employees when I don't think anyone really knows why the NVDC is in crisis.

It could be everything from outside pressure to do things not in their charter from politicians...to a new computer system or software crap to prevent hacking to issues withing the banking system and prefered mortgages and we all know how squared away the banking system is.

Yes the system is broke..but it may not be the workers fault totally....

Any more than Yahoo bing a mess all the time, my internet orders being delayed or sent to the wrong place, things breaking 1 second after plugging them in...no government employees responsible there....

A lot of not too pleasant things being thrown at government employees when I don't think anyone really knows why the NVDC is in crisis.

It could be everything from outside pressure to do things not in their charter from politicians...to a new computer system or software crap to prevent hacking to issues withing the banking system and prefered mortgages and we all know how squared away the banking system is.

Any more than Yahoo bing a mess all the time, my internet orders being delayed or sent to the wrong place, things breaking 1 second after plugging them in...no government employees responsible there....

The workers may be more victims than we are. They have to live with hundreds of problems a week, not just our one. I think given the choice they would all prefer things to run more smoothly. That would reduce their workload. And even Amazon, which was built by offering the best service available, seems to be slipping a bit to me while they're regrouping and trying to offer next day and same day and setting up more facilities.

The hardest place for me not to lose it is fast food. Simple orders messed up so. People having no idea what they're doing. But they aren't the ones I want to yell at, it's their managers or more likely the owner hiring managers who don't know how to properly train.

I do believe the vast majority of people would prefer, if the same or similar effort required, to do their job well, rather than poorly. However, in many companies and government entities they are not equipped to perform as they should.

I do know as to the Documentation Center, they didn't have adequate facilities but now apparently do, just don't have the manpower to catch up. They wanted last year to hire contractors to help catch up, temporary help. The American Federation of Government Employees wouldn't allow that. Federal law requires a study to compare contracting costs vs. hiring. And they were in a moratorium on hiring at one time as well. The hope is that with the new $26 renewal fee they will be able to add the necessary staffing. Their is just something about them being located in a place named "Falling Waters" that seems to sum it all up.

Still, it is kind of ironic that a "rule writer" doesnt like it so much being caught up in the unintended consequences of rules.

:D

The hope is that with the new $26 renewal fee they will be able to add the necessary staffing.

I strongly suspect that the new fees are the root of the problem. The way government funding works, those fees just go into the black hole of the general fund. The staffing is determined by the budget process.

The fees have certainly added a tremendous amount to the workload of processing all of these applications with no increase in staff. The government shutdowns and sequestration combined with the teething problems of getting the fee collection system up and running probably built up a backlog that will take a long time to clear.

I personally understand where you're coming from; however, if we didn't see such elitist, uncaring, not my problem attitudes from government employees across the board, not just at the Federal level, then maybe there would be more sympathy for them among the citizenry.

In some of my dealings with various groups, from the Coast Guard to other military organizations, to the Social Security Administration, IRS and FDOC, I have in fact ran across several very kind, diligent employees, that did a hell of a job explaining or correcting an issue for me, or providing guidance as to where to go to get what we needed.:thumb: That said, there have been far more, and I will say here that maybe a disproportionate number have been on the state and local level, that have tendered a less than "service" related attitude. Those attitudes have been more like, we get paid whether we help you or not!

As our Sheriff once said, when you arrive on a call, you represent me (the Sheriff), the County, and every cop you've never met! Maybe we could waste less money on human diversity training, and spend a bit more time on customer service training.

...Any more than Yahoo bing a mess all the time, my internet orders being delayed or sent to the wrong place, things breaking 1 second after plugging them in...no government employees responsible there....

Very true, but not a good comparison. In the free enterprise system, you have the option not to use the service or purchase from that manufacturer.
If you want your vessel documented, you really have no choice.

The workers may be more victims than we are. They have to live with hundreds of problems a week, not just our one. ...

Very true, but again it goes back to my LEO days. Regardless of how "my" day was going. Regardless of how many times I'd seen/heard this story before, and despite how minimal in the overall crime scale or how much BS the entire thing may be, you had to put on your game face, and approach each one as if it's the only thing on your plate. That one interaction with the public, may be the persons first and only interaction with law enforcement (or a government employee in this case), and for that few minutes or so, is the most important thing in the world to them.

The hardest place for me not to lose it is fast food. Simple orders messed up so. People having no idea what they're doing. But they aren't the ones I want to yell at, it's their managers or more likely the owner hiring managers who don't know how to properly train.

I know exactly what you mean.
I used to get a bit miffed at the inability to make a simple fast food burger and throw in some semi-warm fries. Then I realized that it really didn't matter. Now I watch everyone else go bat sh** crazy over it. Better than a reality show sometimes.:rofl:

They wanted last year to hire contractors to help catch up, temporary help. The American Federation of Government Employees wouldn't allow that. Federal law requires a study to compare contracting costs vs. hiring.

There's a huge part of the problem right there!
More wasted time and money!

Temp help is pretty simple.
No bene's no retirement, none of the other crap you are saddled with for FT workers, and when it's over, it's over! Now let's form a study group....:rolleyes:

Their is just something about them being located in a place named "Falling Waters" that seems to sum it all up.

:rofl::rofl:

Still, it is kind of ironic that a "rule writer" doesnt like it so much being caught up in the unintended consequences of rules.:D

Isn't that the way it usually goes?

I strongly suspect that the new fees are the root of the problem. The way government funding works, those fees just go into the black hole of the general fund. The staffing is determined by the budget process.

The fees have certainly added a tremendous amount to the workload of processing all of these applications with no increase in staff. The government shutdowns and sequestration combined with the teething problems of getting the fee collection system up and running probably built up a backlog that will take a long time to clear.

Again, poor planning and prioritization.
If you're going to add work, make sure you have the infrastructure to handle it. Simple, basic business sense.

The one thing I noticed was, when we had the sequestration, the world didn't come to an end.
Has to tell you something about manpower and necessities?

Again, poor planning and prioritization.
If you're going to add work, make sure you have the infrastructure to handle it. Simple, basic business sense.

The one thing I noticed was, when we had the sequestration, the world didn't come to an end.
Has to tell you something about manpower and necessities?

Documents emerged in which the politician bosses ordered their departments to cut first where the public would feel it most. To punish us for cutting their budgets. At the same time they were going on boondoggles to Vegas, they were closing parks. I think it's still going on. The last two times I entered the US (two different airports), immigration and customs was like a third world country. Massive lines, people cutting, and half of the available aisles staffed. In both airports I asked customs officials, who were standing around chatting and seemingly indifferent to the chaos, what the problem was. Got the same answer both times, "oh, our budget was cut." I didn't ask them what they were doing; figured I'd get detained.

I'm cynical enough to believe this is a strategy. Provide lousy enough service and eventually people will believe that more money is the answer.

Documents emerged in which the politician bosses ordered their departments to cut first where the public would feel it most. To punish us for cutting their budgets. At the same time they were going on boondoggles to Vegas, they were closing parks. I think it's still going on. The last two times I entered the US (two different airports), immigration and customs was like a third world country. Massive lines, people cutting, and half of the available aisles staffed. In both airports I asked customs officials, who were standing around chatting and seemingly indifferent to the chaos, what the problem was. Got the same answer both times, "oh, our budget was cut." I didn't ask them what they were doing; figured I'd get detained.

I'm cynical enough to believe this is a strategy. Provide lousy enough service and eventually people will believe that more money is the answer.

You're probably right. You'd have been the poster child for TSA Patdown training:rofl:

And you're absolutely correct in your assessment.
Scare tactic. We hear it around here every time the local agencies ask for more money, the locals vote it down or the commission/council refused to fund it. We'll have to cut back LEO's (street level of course), Fire Fighters', Paramedics, Teachers....:nonono:

I don't want to take this thread any further off course that it has already drifted from the OP's original intent, but you're right.

OD

Once the boat is registered in a state, it's legal. Enjoy. The documentation is required for mortgages and is preferred but not necessarily required in leaving the country.

I once again do advise the use of documentation agents. They are professional and efficient and deal with any problems so you don't have to. If you intend to leave the country soon after taking the boat you can put through an urgent request and get quick turnaround.

Our first boats we were just going to be using in the US and the Bahamas. The Bahamas are fine with Florida registrations. We had no issue waiting 8 months for documentation and not sure why we even documented now that I think of it. More recently we were going to be leaving the country, an agent rushed the documentation and we had it quickly.

As an aside, the documentation did promise to work on processing times. When we first looked on their web site they were about 9 months behind. Now, i ight there on our boat and verified all of the info for our boatt's only 4. So progress, even if slow. Recording mortgages they are in much worse shape. They did a few months back stop issuing temporary documents but they started doing so again in May. However, another reason I use an agent as what you know last week may have changed.

We purchased our Defever 44 in Palm Coast, FL in Feb. 2014. We drove her home to Maryland in April without our new documentation. We were stopped and boarded by the Coasties somewhere in North Carolina (I think). Four young petty officers boarded with weapons and kevlar and gave us a thorough safety check. They examined our paperwork, the bill of sale, the application for new documentation. They went on line and verified all of the info for our boat in their database with never a mention of our being in violation cuz we did not have our new certficate. This is simply not something to worry about. The Coasties have better things to do with their time than to make a bust for something like this. The bad publicity would be damaging, don't you think?

The whole process was quite interesting. They entered my driver's license number into their system, did their safety checks, bilge check, fire extinguishers check, oil and waste placards, and asked for our "rules of the road" book. After having entered all of their data points they printed out, on the spot, a report documenting the safety check. Very impressive. They didn't even bat an eye when I informed them, by VHF before they even boarded, that we had a firearm aboard which they inspected as well. Our shotgun was in a case, unloaded which I opened, at their request, and placed on the bed in our stateroom. We were indeed surprised by the boarding. We were crossing some very large and long sound in murky weather when they hailed us via VHF and instructed us to heave to. They had us hold course at idle speed while they came alongside and boarded. Go sailing.

I have had several contacts with the NVDC over the years. The first was in 1981 when I ordered a trawler to be built at Blue Seas in Tiawan. The NVDC was in St. Louis at the time. A lady worked with me through the process as she called it "making a citizen of the boat" to the final document issue. I have bought 2 boats in Florida with a 90 day Florida cruise permit. Both times I talked with someone in West Virginia about the problem of having to leave the state. They put it through as a hardship case, and the document arrived before dead line. I have had good experience with the folks up there.

I think we are all missing the real point of this documentation discussion. The majority of thread replies are along the lines that you are unlikely to have a problem operating between sale and receipt of a TCOD. I agree with that. I take, and expect to take in the future, much greater risks; rocks, weather, equipment breakdown, whatever.

However ask yourself, would sign this document if it was presented to you by the USCG as a condition of operating your vessel? Even if the USCG told you it was virtually unlikely you would be called to pay, is there anyone here who would sign it?

11892078_10203278974975593_860078811370693496_n.jpg

When we tolerate the government putting many of us in the position of breaking a law, even with highly unofficial promises that we won't have a problem, we are essentially making the agreement above.

Sure, the risk is low but, would you sign that piece of paper if the agreement were spelled out that clearly?

Last edited:
Having read the CFRs...where exactly did the NVDC say you were in violation?

I really never saw anything that said you or the rest of us are/were in violation be a use most of our boats do not need to be documented in the first place for USCG purposes.

Last fall when my wife and I purchased our Mainship in Florida we had all the bills of sale and documentation papers signed by us and the previous owner and then left Florida bound for NY on the intercoastal. We did not give anthing a second thought. Got to NY and found out that even a documented boat in NY needs to be registered. Sent the documentation papers to the CG and off to Motor Vehicle I went, paid the sales tax due, registered the boat, got the stickers and title in the mail, slapped the stickers on with out numbers because in NY a documented boat needs only stickers and then proceeded to use our new boat. I just made sure to carry copies of every document on board. Go to NYS DMV and register and Bon voyage. Enjoy and if stopped as long as you are respectful and don't have an attitude you should just fine. Life is to short to sweat the small stuff.

Last edited:
Having read the CFRs...where exactly did the NVDC say you were in violation?

I really never saw anything that said you or the rest of us are/were in violation be a use most of our boats do not need to be documented in the first place for USCG purposes.

This was as close as I could get tonight:

Merchant Vessel Inspection and Documentation - Chapter13

Sub-Section 13F of that fiasco appears to deal with recreational vessels, and states that a fine can be assessed; however, it doesn't specify an amount.

In every "unofficial" link I found (Chapmans, BOATUS, and various vessel documentation companies), they all stated the $10k number. I'm sure there's something to it, but it's going to take more digging than I have time to do tonight.

OD

Sorry..still don't see the violation.

Subpart 13F
Article 13.27 is the applicability.
13.29 - enforcement.

Article 13.29 Enforcement.
(A) Subject to the rights and limitations in Chapter 3, an officer with general law enforcement authority may at any time hail, stop, and board any vessel subject to [State] jurisdiction and take all necessary action to enforce the provisions of [State] law, this chapter, and any directives issued under the authority of this chapter and execute any legal process issued by an officer or court of competent jurisdiction.
(B) Officers with general law enforcement authority are authorized to seize and secure any vessel and to arrest any person liable to arrest by virtue of any law or directive, and to use the minimum necessary force to seize or arrest the same.
(C) In addition to enforcing the provisions of this chapter and other related [State] laws and directives, the Maritime Force shall prepare the necessary documentation to support a violation or violations of this chapter, [State] law, or directive. The Maritime Force is authorized to assess a penalty for a violation of this chapter and directives issued pursuant to this chapter.

I'll see if I can find something more specific tomorrow.
Just leaving the office headed home.

Later guys.

OD

I think we are all missing the real point of this documentation discussion. The majority of thread replies are along the lines that you are unlikely to have a problem operating between sale and receipt of a TCOD. I agree with that. I take, and expect to take in the future, much greater risks; rocks, weather, equipment breakdown, whatever.

However ask yourself, would sign this document if it was presented to you by the USCG as a condition of operating your vessel? Even if the USCG told you it was virtually unlikely you would be called to pay, is there anyone here who would sign it?

11892078_10203278974975593_860078811370693496_n.jpg

When we tolerate the government putting many of us in the position of breaking a law, even with highly unofficial promises that we won't have a problem, we are essentially making the agreement above.

Sure, the risk is low but, would you sign that piece of paper if the agreement were spelled out that clearly?

No I would not sign that document. I think you should wait at the dock and not move your boat until the paperwork comes through in what.. six months?:rolleyes:

Ski,

Agree or not, Roger has a point.
I the "real world" will he end up with a problem?
I'd give it a 99.9999999999999999999% NO, and I'd probably take my chances.
But if it goes sideways for some reason, he has nothing to fall back on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom