Danny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ulysses

Guru
Vessel Name
Ulysses
Vessel Make
Romsdal 1963
Looks like TS Danny will be increasing in strength and heading towards the Bahamas and S. Fla. Half the tracks show it getting into the Gulf. Please stay alert.

Would anyone suggest removing isinglass and Bimini or just "button up?"

If it were me, and I knew it was going to be 50-60+ I'd remove it.

Well when I was going to be in a big blow I try ed to remove but all the snaps were stuck so I just left up it was a cat 2 storm no damage was suprized but still got the covers 5 yrs later but if you can get it off without damage get it off

Canvas is not covered on my policy so with a $ 2,000.00 deducable I'm taking it down. I'm in the keys so I'll be watching closely and then make a decision Monday if I need to get to safe harbour in ft. Lauderdale, tied to the dock and across the canal.

Does your Bimini fold down? If so, lower it, and furl the Bimini and tie it securely. But if you have isinglass side curtains they would have to be removed. The isinglass does not like to be folded. Rolled is ok. But not folded.

Last edited:
Pressure dropping, wind increasing. Looks like its track will take it over the Dominican Republic, those mtns. will take some of the force out of it.

This was posted this morning by an FSU hurricane analyst:

FORECAST: HURRICANE DANNY is Category 1 hurricane with winds (msw which
stands for maximum sustained winds, or the maximum one minute average at 30
feet off the ground) of 85 mph. DANNY is located over 1,000 mile ESE of Puerto Rico, but is
aiming at Puerto Rico and should arrive about Tuesday as a Tropical Storm. Next in line are The Dominican Republic, Haiti and Cuba. The general trend through next week is for weakening. At this point, there is no indication of any threat to the East or Gulf coast of the USA. After Saturday night DANNY will be lucky to ever be a Hurricane again.

DISCUSSION: HURRICANE DANNY is very compact and fluctuations in intensity are anticipated, but by early next week it is has major hurdles that are a threat to its existence. These are land (orography) and dry air.

And today's posting:

"So far going according to plan, somebody's plan. Not a big threat to Peninsular Florida or

the Big Bend a.k.a. Arm Pit of Florida.

FORECAST: HURRICANE DANNY is about 150 miles East of the Leeward Islands and headed

WNW at 10 mph for Puerto Rico. It should arrive there early Tuesday morning as a Tropical Storm.

Then onward to The Dominican Republic and Haiti on Wednesday. After Wednesday it looks like

North Cuba or just north of Cuba in a week. Make your travel plans accordingly. Not a good time to be in the Florida Straights.

DISCUSSION: HURRICANE DANNY flirted with being barely a Category 3 storm, reflecting the

mercurial (agile) nature of small storms, or small anythings. HURRICANE DANNY is about to get

a spanking. Dry air, wind shear, land and high terrain are waiting to greet HURRICANE DANNY.

The next 10 days will be a challenge for DANNY.

NEXT FORECAST: Sunday, August 23

Peter Ray

That earth.nullschool.net site showing winds is a pretty good view of this compact storm.

Sunday analysis:

Friends, Danny is weakening as forecast. It will continue to weaken until at least mid week.

FORECAST: The Leeward Islands will be hit by a WEAK Tropical Storm Danny early

Monday morning and Puerto Rico by a Tropical Depression early Tuesday morning.

It is likely that the Dominican Republic will be next, Wednesday morning. Incidentally, bring with it much needed rain. I believe after Wednesday or even Wednesday Danny may start to move gently Northward, or it could continue toward Cuba. It's future depends on which road to take. Anthropomorphically, there is really warm water everywhere, and if it make some good choices, it could get a second chance of life.

In any event, going back to the beginning, The Gulf waters and just off the East coast of Florida the waters are HOT. Just waiting for a storm. I just don't see Tallahassee, and the Big Bend or the peninsula of Florida of being hit by a hurricane Danny. Zero chance.

DISCUSSION: What happens after Wednesday is dependent on what happens to

Danny as the path is dependent on the strength of the storm and visa versa. It is a very co-dependent relationship. A case can be argued for almost an scenario. That is why we have to watch and why very long range predictions are rarely accurate. This time of year, then Eastern Atlantic is a nursery for hurricanes. Right now, there is a possible next hurricane and for the next 6 weeks this region bears special attention.

NEXT FORECAST: Monday Aug 24

Peter Ray

Peter's Monday analysis. Looks as if Danny is about over with. (Sigh of relief).

Friends, Tropical Storm Danny only has hours to live. Any plans for Key Largo are safe

and anywhere around Florida this week are on "GO". Danny may have done more good than harm if it brings rain anywhere to a drought stricken region.

FORECAST: Tropical Storm Danny with winds of 40 mph will continue to weaken traveling increasingly Westward. Danny will brush by Puerto Rico tomorrow as just a depression and then Hispaniola. That shoud be it.

DISCUSSION: All those bad things we talked about, wind shear, dry air intrusion, etc.,

are now finishing Danny off. It was nice to know you, "It's you, must go and I must bide. " Danny Boy. See you again in 6 years (period of name recycling).

In the mid Atlantic is another disturbed area forming where Danny formed, headed in the same direction. It may be a repeat - or not - to early to tell.

NEXT FORECAST: Tomorrow August 25. 5 am

Peter Ray

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom