Moving boat sideways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are talking about twins right??... And remember DO NOT TOUCH THE WHEEL... That is textbook..

No it's not. Every competent twin driver I know--- little boat, big boat, landing craft, etc.--- uses every tool in the toolbox: differential thrust, opposing thrust, differential power, rudders, and inertia. Whatever tool and combination of tools it takes to put the boat where you want it is fair game. Smart use of the rudders can make the difference between getting the boat up against the dock in an adverse wind or current or being stopped helplessly off of it and then being carried into a position you don't want to be in or having to go around and try again. The rudders can greatly accelerate the rate at which a boat is being pivoted, or they can slow the rate at which it's being pivoted. The rudders are a terrific and essential tool.

Last edited:
We are talking about twins right?? That is textbook. Chapman Piloting and Seamanship guide. And any other piloting guide for that mater. Seriously just try it.

Seriously, you are just flat out wrong.

I don't care what the books say, in the real world, real boat handlers use their rudders, single screw or twin, as needed to make the boat do what they want it to when they want it to.

Unbunch your undies ladies. I've read this and I will give it a go. I don't have a trawler I have a cruiser with twin v-drives. I'm a river boater with wind and current and I will try anything to be a better boater. So carry on bashing me. I'm boating. Albeit on a lowly 32 foot Sundancer. Peace out

Unbunch your undies ladies. I've read this and I will give it a go. I don't have a trawler I have a cruiser with twin v-drives. I'm a river boater with wind and current and I will try anything to be a better boater. So carry on bashing me. I'm boating. Albeit on a lowly 32 foot Sundancer. Peace out

I have posted a half dozen responses only to erase them. Too many angles in this thread with only a couple of knowledgeable responses for all sizes, shapes, power packages and docking situations of boats.

I was a delivery captain for a Sea Ray dealership and taught hundreds to dock all shape and sizes of Sea Rays.

Twin I/O Sea Rays had many different issues to teach newbies how to dock.

But the comment on moving a boat sideways is correct in that it is not "twisting" as others are suggesting.

All boats handle a bit different....those suggesting one size fits all need to rethink their posts.

Last edited:
I just learned that Marin's dog has that disgusted look on his face as he reads this thread. Give a dog a break guys. :hide:

Nobody was bashing you ma'am. Just pointing out while reading a book on a subject is a good start on learning something about it, actually doing it day in and day out ends up giving you a more rounded education in the end.

Nobody was bashing you ma'am. Just pointing out while reading a book on a subject is a good start on learning something about it, actually doing it day in and day out ends up giving you a more rounded education in the end.
In all fairness...

Where do most boaters learn?

They learn from each other or the captain at the brokerage or a for hire guy.....

Many of these guys have limited experience or learned from all those great magazine articles..maybe even USA Today...:D

Teaching newbies is an exercise in frustration as some of us know. Some here barely know what they have learned through the years and how to handle a half dozen boats they have owned.

Doctors, lawyers and Indian chiefs...boat handlers... NOT!!! :eek:

Only those that have run hundreds of vessels of all shapes and sizes instructing those new owners can rely have a feel for what is "right" for the moment when instructing a "technique".

I just learned that Marin's dog has that disgusted look on his face as he reads this thread.

Not sure how accurate that is..... Disregarding the fact that I took the photo awhile back, while he has mastered most things to do with operating a boat the one thing he simply can't do because his physical makeup prevents it is accurately manipulate a keyboard or iPad. So it seems unlikely that he's been reading this thread. But I'll ask him this evening when I get home.

He has taken to slinking into our office at home when we're in the living room watching TV or whatever and God only know what he does in there. Maybe he's more computer-savvy than we think....

.....He(Marin`s dog) has taken to slinking into our office at home when we're in the living room watching TV or whatever and God only know what he does in there. Maybe he's more computer-savvy than we think....
What`s his screen name on TF?:) Bet he spends time sussing out the friendly girl dogs on "Boating with Dogs".

I don't care what the books say, in the real world, real boat handlers use their rudders, single screw or twin, as needed to make the boat do what they want it to when they want it to.
Easily proved. Try rotating your twin engine boat with no rudder applied. Then try it with rudder applied to aid the turn. Faster and tighter.

All boats handle a bit different....those suggesting one size fits all need to rethink their posts.

Ok, so, over the course of this thread, walking, twisting, screws, wheels singles, twins, outdrives, dogs and bunched undies have been thrown into the mix, so why not motorcycles?

On a bike, in order to achieve slow speed forward motion, without stopping or putting a foot down, we use what's called a friction zone; a point within the range of the clutch where it is neither fully engaged nor disengaged. In a car it would be slipping and it would stink as it destroyed the clutch. Bike clutches are designed to slip.

So using and mastering a combination of friction zone, throttle and rear brake, an obstacle course or a U-turn within a parking space become everyday easy. While the principles remain, every bike is different, every rider is different and how each bike reacts to each rider is different.

Same with a boat; front back or sideways.
You have to learn your boat and how it responds to you.

You read him bedside threads, don't you?

I tried that but when I read him a few OTDE posts he told me to piss off and left the room. He is very cagey about discussing politics and social issues but I strongly suspect he is a Donald Trump fan. This is not surprising as they both have the same "f*ck you" attitude toward pretty much everything and everyone. I guess I'll find out when I fill out his ballot next year as he can't hold a pen.

You can see this attitude in the photo below. I took it while I was explaining the importance of his wearing his harness on the boat and in the dinghy, something he hates to do. When I was done he told me to go screw myself and turned his back and didn't talk to me the rest of the day.

Attachments

• Wet Dog.jpg
    Wet Dog.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Are we talking about inboards or stern drives?? If you have stern drives you have directional thrust and maybe using the steering wheel might help but with inboards and advice to move the rudder is foolish and absolutely incorrect. Center your rudder on your approach to the dock and DO NOT TOUCH THE WHERL AGAIN. starboard froward and port in reverse will move the bow to port and the stern to starboard. Port forward and starboard in reverse will move the bow to starboard and the stern to port. Remember practice this away from the dock and find your pivot point. Learn how it moves with just the transmissions first before you add throttle. Also since the cup of the props are designed for forward propulsion using them in reverse will be less efficient and thus they will react slower so I usually engage the reverse engine first. Also keep in mind that the forward engine will also still move the boat forward a bit. Good luck and enjoy I love my twins. And remember DO NOT TOUCH THE WHEEL

Your are mixing up apples for oranges... read post 48 carefully.

I will give it a try for sure. This is why I love this site and Club Sea Ray. Loads of good people and great information. Who knows,, I might even become a better captain. Sorry if I got snarky yesterday. I had a very very busy 24 hour shift at my fire house and admittedly I was grumpy (ask my wife). Thanks again if the info gents. Happy boating

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom