Perkins Turbo Diesel Engine Noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain JJ

Vessel Make
Present 38
I have just completed my maiden voyage on our Present 38. I have two 220 HP 6 Cylinder Perkins Turbo Diesels with about 1220 hours on them.
At all power settings on the port engine there is a pooping sound and puffs of air coming from the inlet of the turbo charger. Sounds similar to a rod knock from the salon, but when I go below and put my hand up to the inlet screen to the turbo I can feel theses puffs of air on my hand?

All engine parameters are normal.

Anyone ever experienced this or have any ideas about what the problem may be?

Any feed back provided would be appreciated, thanks...

Check your valve adjustment. A tight valve can blow back through the intake.

David

Could be a burned intake valve too, but there is usually a hissing sound associated with that. I don't know if you could hear that over the turbo though.

Without seeing it, we're only guessing, but its worth having a mechanic take a look at it.

Sounds like a burnt, sticking, or tight intake valve. Don't loose you fingers playing around a running turbo. Have it looked at right away to avoid further damage to the valve in case it is just misadjusted or sticking and not alteady burnt.

Can be a sticky valve. Take rocker cover off and manually push down on the rocker/valve tip. Should be hard to push, but if one is impossible to move, can be a sticky valve.

Do check valve lash while you are in there.

Also, can be turbo compressor doing aerodynamic stall. AKA "turbo bark". This would tend to be only at some power settings, but not all as described.

After troubleshooting, the cause was a very worn rocker arm adjustment screw. After replacement and valve clearance adjustment the Perkins purrs like a cat, thanks to all...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom