Japan: A cruel and Dishonorable nation...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...what's the point of stirring up false emotions. Ted

Exactly!

...Every war has atrocities.

Absolutely!

I agree with your sentiments.
Even the Nazis treated allied POWs well, they were fed and looked after. What puzzles me is how the Japanese officer class did not seem to recognise allied officers as their equal adversiaries . their honour system and their code of bravery only applied to the Japanese apparently.

This is probably best answered in the second part of your comment (below):

...I saw a documentary of a jap mini-sub mission to sink shipping in Sydney harbour. Two of the sub's got snagged on the harbour nets; so the jap crews committed suicide!

It's difficult at best, for most Westerner's to comprehend the Japanese code of honor. For example, when was the last time you heard of an American commander taking his own life as a result of a botched operation? Especially one that cost the lives of his men.
(Hint-You won't. It's not in our culture.)

...Japanese considered surrender or capture dishonorable. Against the Bushido Code. So, if you were a prisoner you were considered shamed and had no rights. That's the same reason why they would fight to the death or commit suicide rather than be captured. They are not of a Western culture and have different values than us.

You understand it correctly.

I suppose when you consider that the Japanese people worshipped the Emperor as a living God : this is in 1945! As already mentioned there was no remorse expressed over their war crimes, only regret at losing the war as Prime minister Abe said last week....

Again it's culture. As for the statement, I can equate to Obama's "apology" for our actions as a nation. That's a "government statement" and not my feelings at all. That may be his position, but he doesn't speak for "me", and I don't recognize his "apology." I can't condemn an entire race and culture for the act(s) of their government.

...In Germany it is illegal to display Nazi memorabilia or openly promote its policies, why then do the Japanese show no remorse and openly condone the honouring of those war criminals?

Different country, different culture.
Across the U.S. in the last many months, thousands of people have been up in arms over the confederate battle flag (actually, there was more than one, but that would actually take a little understanding). Instead of trying to understand it's place in our history and accepting it for what it is, a horrible time for some in our growth as a nation, we protest, riot, and bring law suits to remove it.
The Japanese OTOH, recognize their history and culture even when it hurts, and try to learn from it.

I am trying to understand the contradictions in Japanese culture; on the one hand they advocate honour, bravery and unselfish service to their nation, and in the field of war they starved and worked to death ( murdered) POWs on a huge scale.
How did they reconcile these two disparate moral views?

A feudal system of the highest moral behavior in Japan, and a criminal genocidal policy that killed defenseless captured soldiers.

We probably don't want to go there.:eek:
After all, we're not without our own warts in our history.
If you dig long enough and deep enough, you'll find our thorns.

It's a mistake to judge the actions of the past with todays standards. The Japanese didn't view us as their equal in WWII; they didn't sign the Geneva convention; their actions were perfectly logical to them. The USA viewed black people as property and native Americans as animals. We did some pretty horrible things to both of those groups. The difference is we won, so we wrote the history books for the most part.
Ted

Well stated!

Unfortunately, as many have noted, such atrocities during war are all too common and have been probably since the beginning of time. As one whose father served in the Pacific, and who has known at least three survivors of the Bataan Death March, I a naturally appalled. Ask any Korean or Chinese of our age (and many younger) of their opinion of the Japanese and be ready for an earful. The Rape of Nanking is but one example. Kidnapped Korean women serving as "comfort women" for Japanese officers yet another. Yet, also as a Jew, it is hard for me to get past a nation, and an ideology, calling for the extermination of an entire people. Even today we see it with the Sunni/Shia split in the Middle East. Each would happily exterminate the other and many seem hell bent of doing it. The saddest part (and the most perplexing) to me, and it always has been since I first learned of the Holocaust, is how otherwise "normal" people, once the hatred moves from a personal to a national level, become willing participants in such atrocities. It does not say much for us when people, pretty much en masse do not stand up and say "This is wrong, it must stop."

THD....Damn brother! That was an awesome response. Thanks!:thumb:

I have worked in some 36 different countries to date, including Japan. The first thing I learned is that judging the customs, beliefs and actions of another culture, either today or in their history, using the customs, beliefs and actions of my own culture is an ignorant and futile thing to do because I will always be wrong.

The Japanese did what they did before and during WWII because for them at the time at that point in their history it was the right thing to do. Their treatment of prisoners was terrible by our cultural standards but was correct by theirs.

The good news (for everybody) is that humans evolve. Today the same Mitsubishi Heavy Industries plant that produced the A6M Type Zero for the Japanese Navy produces a good portion of our 787 and major components of all current Boeing models except the 737 are manufactured in Japan and have been for decades.

Amen!!

And this is why I appreciate this forum.:thumb:

Off-Duty-

There are times I wish Bushido were a part of our political culture. Hari-Kari could solve a few problems on Capital Hill!

Off-Duty-

There are times I wish Bushido were a part of our political culture. Hari-Kari could solve a few problems on Capital Hill!

:rofl::thumb: Couldn't it though?
Then again, there would have to be a level of "honor".....that may prove problematic:D

Thanks to the forum for all the different view points .

In my opinion:

I'm not Jewish, but my bil is. Should the Jewish nation try and forget the Holocaust, and forgive the Germans for what they did?

Rather Jews highlight the Holocaust: lest we should forget.

The German nation has expressed the deepest reget, and the denial of the Holocaust is a criminal offence in Germany. The German prime minister does not worship at a shrine of Hitler and the Nazis party every year!

But the Japanese pm does at a Shinto shine where pictures of convicted war criminals are proudly displayed.

IMO the Japanese are crying crocodile tears: showing regret at the loss of the war, not over the war crimes they committed....

....lest we should forget!

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, am I suppose to stop admiring George Washington the father of our nation, because he owned African Americans (slaves)? Am I supposed to assume all you Irish are terrorists because of what went on in Northern Ireland for a few decades ago? Time to let it go.

Ted

Just out of curiosity, am I suppose to stop admiring George Washington the father of our nation, because he owned African Americans (slaves)? Am I supposed to assume all you Irish are terrorists because of what went on in Northern Ireland for a few decades ago? Time to let it go.

Ted

I of course respect your opinion.

But I think we need to learn from history, so that we don't repeat the mistakes.

I of course respect your opinion.

But I think we need to learn from history, so that we don't repeat the mistakes.

OMG....now that's an awesome thought (I'm serious BTW).:thumb:
We need to LEARN from history, so not to repeat mistakes made in the past.
We do NOT need to DWELL on the past atrocities and demand reparations and apologies.

Unfortunately, on some levels, we (the U.S.) are the worse offenders of that concept. We do the same thing over and over and hope for a differing result...:facepalm:

OD

Edmond Burke and George Santayana both mentioned a couple of things about history and the past, didn't they?

A few generations ago...

Unfortunately, on some levels, we (the U.S.) are the worse offenders of that concept. We do the same thing over and over and hope for a differing result...:facepalm:

OD

Now that Obama has lifted sanctions on Iran, billions of $ of overseas assets that were frozen will be now come available to the Iranian gov.

Their foreign minister was on the TV last night and stated that these funds will be used to fight US influence in the region. She stated that The US is still the enemy of Iran and that they'll being using every avenue available to them too permantly expel the US from the middle east region.

The reporter said' But its the US that has just released all of your funds'

She countered' the US is our sworn enemy'

That fellow you have up there in the White House is a genius...!

Greetings,
Mr. Rb. Not commenting on the "genius" in the WH but I think Iran has the right idea to expect and hope for expulsion of the the US and ALL other foreign (read non middle eastern) powers from the area. The current situation is a DIRECT result of foreign meddling that has been going on in the area for the last few centuries. Let the whole bunch of them fight it out amongst themselves and THEN deal with the victors or whoever is left.
Regarding the Japanese, Mr. Marin said it best in the first paragraph of post #29. Asia is a wonderful place but VERY difficult if not impossible to understand from a western perspective. Dog on the menu in Korea, cows worshiped in India are but two of the things unfathomable to the western mind.

Greetings,
Mr. Rb. Not commenting on the "genius" in the WH but I think Iran has the right idea to expect and hope for expulsion of the the US and ALL other foreign (read non middle eastern) powers from the area. The current situation is a DIRECT result of foreign meddling that has been going on in the area for the last few centuries. Let the whole bunch of them fight it out amongst themselves and THEN deal with the victors or whoever is left.
Regarding the Japanese, Mr. Marin said it best in the first paragraph of post #29. Asia is a wonderful place but VERY difficult if not impossible to understand from a western perspective. Dog on the menu in Korea, cows worshiped in India are but two of the things unfathomable to the western mind.

Lol!

Thanks for expressing your down to earth common sense attitude. Have you ever thought of running for office?

Greetings,
Mr. Rb. Running for office? I wouldn't last 30 seconds and my "common sense" alas, is nothing but a drug fueled pipe dream.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend, as quoted by Sun Tzu, may very well be the most accurate summation of today's terrorist philosophy..."
(from officer.com).

Again, we don't catch on, do we?

Even the Nazis treated allied POWs well, they were fed and looked after.

Not really true. While British and US POWs were reasonably treated, the treatment of Russian POWs was as bad as anything during that time period.

Not really true. While British and US POWs were reasonably treated, the treatment of Russian POWs was as bad as anything during that time period.

This is true, and the Russians executed thousands of Polish officers and dumped them in a an unmarked mass grave......and so it goes on and on.

Maybe waging a civilized war is an oxymoron?

Peter,
I think you have it right.
As long as you have rules (agreements) as to how to wage war
it amounts to a game. Like Monopoly with population control by elimination.
In a fight,not a spectator sport, the rule is "WIN, with the least pain and
injury to yourself as possible".

Ted

Peter,
I think you have it right.
As long as you have rules (agreements) as to how to wage war
it amounts to a game. Like Monopoly with population control by elimination.
In a fight,not a spectator sport, the rule is "WIN, with the least pain and
injury to yourself as possible".

Ted

Too true.

...and ultimatly ' "History is written by the victors." - Winston Churchill

IMO the Japanese are crying crocodile tears: showing regret at the loss of the war, not over the war crimes they committed....

If you go to Japan, and work with Japanese people and get to know them you will quickly learn that this is an incredibly ignorant position to take.

This is true, and the Russians executed thousands of Polish officers and dumped them in a an unmarked mass grave......and so it goes on and on.

Maybe waging a civilized war is an oxymoron?

I think you stay better close at home where many Irish killed many Irish...

If you go to Japan, and work with Japanese people and get to know them you will quickly learn that this is an incredibly ignorant position to take.

This is an interesting question.

Were the German people misled by Hitler, as many many Germans asserted after the war; the majority pleading that they knew nothing about the holocost?

And could the same agrument be made about the Japanese and their leadership?

Were individuals further down the command chain responsible for the atrocities or were they only following orders?

I think you stay better close at home where many Irish killed many Irish...

Many conflicts are seen in black and white by outsiders, but are in reality extremely complex situations with finely nuanced political and social implications that affect the local combatants.

That would probably describe the Irish 'troubles' between catholic and protestants very accurately.

Rustybarge: The question as to "following orders" was tested through a wide range of cultures and groups through the Milgram Experiments in the early 1960's (post war crime trials). Basically it was found that over 60% of people from most any culture would follow orders from an authority figure that might indeed kill others. Authority figure would tell subject to administer increasing levels of supposed electric shock to supposed subjects trying to answer a question. Each wrong answer would get an increased supposed shock. 60% would go to the 450 volt level.
This study was usually presented in Psych. 101 and was very surprising to most in the U.S.

Not much has changed and I doubt it will anytime soon.
Sadly very few cared about the recent holocaust in what used to be Yugoslavia and the weekly ongoing mass murders across Africa.
As far as Japan is concerned, the Germans had them beat hands down.

*dumb thread

Mr. RT-I am all in favor of pipe dreams! Recalling my hippy days of yore (and maybe more recent since we legalized pot in WA), I have often thought that if World Leaders sat around the table passing a joint or two, war would pretty much cease. At the first suggestion of getting up starting a war, the response would probably be "Let's order everything on the left hand side of the IHOP menu first". So, don't give up on pipe dreams!

Greetings,
Mr. THD. Thanks for the kind thoughts. If wars were fought by politicians, hand to hand, they would be few and far between and most probably non existent.
What's done in the case of Japan, no matter how atrocious, is done but what is of greater concern, and Mr. W mentioned 2 examples is that the atrocities are ongoing and it will continue, unfortunately, until end times which may not be too far off.
One can point fingers, cite historical examples and find fault with any civilization in any time period. Scapegoats exist throughout history, Jews being the first to come to mind. The Romans blamed the Jews, the Russians blamed the Jews, the Germans blamed the Jews and the Jews suffered accordingly but interestingly, now the Jewish "bad guy" has been replaced by the Muslim "bad guy".
The problem as I see it is that scapegoats even exist. White, black, "yellow", "red", Christian, Jew, Muslim, male, female, straight, gay, Republican, Democrat, Communist, pacifist, elitist, rich, poor, tinker tailor, soldier, spy... It's always the "other" guy that's causing all the problems and the "other" guy has to suffer to pay for the problems. Can't be me, I'm perfect and I'm always right.
A little bit of humility, understanding and education will go a long way to staving off the inevitable end. Ahhhh, pipe dreams.

What is so great about the world today is that the surviving victims can usually open a museum or web site with their pictures and stories.

Greetings,
Mr. u. All well and good but the hatred, racism and intolerance continues. Education is the key IMO but not from some isolated museum or website. Grassroots. From the child up.

Try visiting Yad Vashem in Jerusalem. Remote? Guess so. Moving? You be the judge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom