Newbie looking for information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cathance70

Greeting everyone.
I have just started my research into the possibility of getting a Trawler for the Mr's and I.
First off, I have spent most of my career offshore in some capacity or another. I graduated from MMA, Marine Engineering, so I am familiar with the maritime trades but I do not profess to know much about being a Captain of a good sized boat.
I want to learn and I want to find out if my wife would enjoy spending our retirement on a boat doing the Great Loop and perhaps further.
I was thinking of getting into a smaller, say 35' Trawler, and spend time on her during the summers up around Maine, which is where we are from.
I realize there is a plethora of information that I will need to learn, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Typical costs associated with hauling out a boat that size and storing and winterizing it?
Single diesel with bow thruster adequate for the large Maine tides?
Etc, etc.
I envision keeping it at a birth close to home during the summer and cruising up and down the coast from town to town and staying several days at one location.
I imagine there are questions I have not thought of.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. I would suggest reading the "Boat Search 101" which is a sticky under the General Discussion heading.

Welcome Cathance

Hi Newbie,
I would suggest you and your wife charter for a few weekends on a boat around that size. Maybe with a couple of people around your age and in the area your thinking about.
They will be able to teach you a lot and you will also be able to define the type of boat will best suit you both.
I am sure if you asked in the right section of the forum you will find some people that would be happy to help out in those areas for a weekend or two of "contributions" to there time out:)
As you can see this forum is a great place to pick up info and ask questions.
I hope this helps and that it all works out for you.
Capstan

I envision keeping it at a birth close to home during the summer and cruising up and down the coast from town to town and staying several days at one location.
I recommend you PM (private message) dwhatty who is a moderator on this forum. He lives in Maine, runs a single diesel boat with a bow thruster, and ties it to a mooring during the summer. He is doing everything you say you want to do.
I know him personally & consider him to be a first class skipper. I believe he also is a graduate of the MMA and is an attorney. (But we like him in spite of that!):ermm:

Last edited:
I recommend you PM (private message) dwhatty who is a moderator on this forum. He lives in Maine, runs a single diesel boat with a bow thruster, and ties it to a mooring during the summer. He is doing everything you say you want to do.
I know him personally & consider him to be a first class skipper. I believe he also is a graduate of the MMA and is an attorney. (But we like him in spite of that!):ermm:

Why would you throw dwhatty under the bus like that ?

I suggest you charter several times on several different types of boats before you put money down on any boat.

I suggest you charter several times on several different types of boats before you put money down on any boat.

What he said!

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Greeting everyone.

I want to learn and I want to find out if my wife would enjoy spending our retirement on a boat doing the Great Loop and perhaps further.I realize there is a plethora of information that I will need to learn, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings, your questions are very common questions. The best way to answer many of them is to actually get out on boats similar to what you think you may want. There is no real substitute for spending time on the water experiencing the life first hand. In addition to the good advice above, you might consider a liveaboard training charter. I would be happy to discuss options with you should you be interested in our program.
All the best.............A/T
www.arctictraveller.com

@Cathance70. I have been moving at 9.4 knots for so long burning 4400 gallons a day that I underestimated my desire (need) for speed when I bought my trawler last year. When running the New England coastline (between tides and wind against current) I wish I had considered a slightly faster boat to 'get out of the weather'.

However, since I found a really good deal on my retirement cottage I am keeping optimistic about her other excellent attributes.

I have gotten used to running around 6.3 knots while burning less than a gallon of fuel an hour while on the 'other' boat.

For me the big question would be: How fast do you and the Admiral 'need' to go to be happy? Remember the faster you go it not only costs more $$$. But usually newer, $$$$ engines too. If you intend on keeping her in NE waters, then you need a more sea kindly hull. If you are truly going for the loop, then that broadens your horizons to other hull shapes.

Last edited:
Hi!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom