View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #8
DCBD

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee
I have 3 heat sources on my boat - electric, hydronic and a Dickinson central heater. Of the three, my preference is the Dickinson. Electric is ok as long as it's not too cold. Most of the year we can get by with this as long as we're at the dock. Hydronic is great while at the dock or traveling about, but uses a lot of power so I need to run the genset a lot to keep the power up while at anchor. Also it does not ventilate the boat so it gets quite humid after a day or two. The Dickinson is great but you have to bring the heat into the dead air areas like the berth. We use a solar/battery fan to move the warm air into the berth area. Using this heater we have no condensation build up anywhere in the boat. We often anchor out for a week or so without moving during the winter and unlike the summer the doors or windows are not open as much, condensation can become a big issue and for our boat only air exchange will keep it dry.

As mention above by psneeld, the Wallas is popular as well, but I don't know anything about them.
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote