Port light covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
I need to devise some covers for the portlights on our trawler. *They are large opening portlights made out of stainless steel. *What are you all using for a portlight cover and how are you attaching it? *

My wife made some covers (out of manatee theme fabric) that just fit the portlights. They are held on with velcro. Works for us.

At one of the home mail order catalogs (can't remember the name) I found some decorative vinyl window coverings. Just cut to shape, spray a little water on the glass and they stick and stay, until you want to peel them off. Just like the little oil change reminder stickers. Comes in various patterns, cheap, quick and easy. If I remember the name, I'll post the link.

Woodsong,A few years ago we had a friend the had a privacy film over their front door glass that looked convincingly like leaded stain glass. We put the same treatment on our front door soon after (obviously a lot cheaper than other stain glass projects in our home). A year or so ago I used the same approach for our heads and front cabin after failing to find something better in damp climates and angled areas. Home Depot has the window film. You may want to give this a try.

Attachments

• dscf6231.jpg
    dscf6231.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 109
Are you looking for cosmetic coverings or for storm covers for rough weather/

This may be another solution - http://www.zarcor.com/products/OA-peeks.php. It is called the Peek-a-Boo solution.

I am presently using heavy cloth held on with velcro to cover the ports but would like to get something more elegant. I tried to get a machine shop to bend quarter inch SS rod into a shallow "U" shape and weld pads to mount them to the side to which I would have had curtains made. So far, no one is interested in this project.

Ron

Chris cut foam the same size and shape as the window/ports and when we close the ports we just throw in the Pisces of foam. The foam is light, translucent, about 1/4" thick and has a trace of oily feel to it. Very common stuff. I'm fairly sure it's packing material.

My wife made curtains to match the décor of he quilts/pillows* **If the ports are opened up the curtains flip up.

Dont close up the boat to much, and make sure you have CO alarms. *

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom