Seeking Lots of Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RBunn03061953

I am currently a non-boater. I would like to cruise the American coastline east and west in the next 4-5 years and I'm early in the process of determining if that is feasible. I have done a little online research and I think a trawler is the most suitable vessel for my adventure but what do I know.

My wife and I will be the primary crew but would like the option of picking up friends and family here and there to join us for short parts of the trip. We understand the trip will take months and so we need as much room as we can afford so we can get away from one another as the necessity arises rather than sending a man overboard.

So, given the following priorities I would like any suggestions anyone may have so I can begin my feasibility study and determine what I need to start doing now in preparation for this trip 4-5 years down the road.

Priorities:
1. Sea worthiness
2. Purchase price of the vessel (it will be used)
3. Creature comforts
4. Engine reliability
5. Cost of maintenance
6. Cost of operation

See, I don't even know if I have my priorities are correct but that's what feels right to me now.

Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions.

Welcome to the Trawler Forum!

1. Sea worthiness
2. Purchase price of the vessel (it will be used)
3. Creature comforts
4. Engine reliability
5. Cost of maintenance
6. Cost of operation

37' Fisher pilothouse motorsailer would tick all those boxes

Greetings,
Mr. RB. To attempt to address your "priorities" and keep foremost in your mind they WILL change.
1. Seaworthiness is quite a vague term. With any vessel, you will have to know what the conditions (winds, currents, weather patterns etc.) will be in any area you wish to transit and decide to go or stay put. Granted, some vessels are designed to take heavier conditions than others (blue water as compared to coastal cruising) but common sense should prevail.
2. Purchase price will be more determined by what you want to spend as opposed to asking price. Budget X for the boat, Y for repairs upgrades and Z for unknowns.
3. Creature comforts? Go on as many boats as you can in the next 4 years and make lists. Must haves, like to haves, not wanted. Willing to forgo the jacuzzi for a washer and dryer? You get the idea.
4. Engine reliability is really a function of how well it has been maintained. Most, if not all engines will outlast you if looked after.
5. Cost of maintenance will again be a function of previous care. Leaky windows for example will cost much more to replace as opposed to keeping non leaky windows water tight.
6. Cost of operation? More than a motor home!

There are dozens of threads here on this very subject. Scroll on back and enjoy!

Yup....dozens of boats could meet your requirements. since you're a few years out, just start reading and absorbing info. By the time you're ready you'll likely have it narrowed down a bunch. Tons of info and knowledge here..

http://www.dominionyachts.com/inventory.html/1990/AZIMUT/76-COCKPIT-MOTORYACHT/76-FT/FORT-WASHINGTON/MD/US/details-4772876#details

This should do the trick!

Welcome aboard start building your list as you see things you like alsothink about charting a boat or 2

Salty that is a lot of boat for the $$

Hi RBunn03061953

Welcome to the forum. Ask the guys what sort of anchor is best and then follow it up with single screw or twin screw boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Hi RBunn03061953

Welcome to the forum. Ask the guys what sort of anchor is best and then follow it up with single screw or twin screw boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

well actually it is best to pick your desired anchor and then find the right boat for it

Back
Top Bottom