Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Slightly off topic, but I just saw a picture of a huntsman spider the size of a £¥€%!^@ frisbee. After pooping my pants and throwing my laptop across the room, I decided that I will never go to Australia. Ever.

Carry on.

Haha why do you think I'm building a boat. I'm trying to get off the land haha

http://youtu.be/ksY98uoFjo8

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

The helm looks good, will look much better when surrounded by the boat. HaHa

Ted

Haha agreed. I better stop standing behind it making boat noises and pretending to steer and continue building the boat

Matt, if you install railings or safety lines on stanchions, maybe only forward of the cockpit, they will interfere with butt parking anyway.
As I`m in the process of refinishing my teak cappings, a reminder that you will be doing that too, to keep them looking good. I`m stuck with it as an annual job, fortunately I don`t have to get back to green teak every year, I use Deks Olje, never looks as good as varnish, but good enough for an older boat.

I love the helm station. It looks great. I am, however, concerned with the water tightness of the starboard door shown in the picture.:lol:

Matt, if you install railings or safety lines on stanchions, maybe only forward of the cockpit, they will interfere with butt parking anyway.
As I`m in the process of refinishing my teak cappings, a reminder that you will be doing that too, to keep them looking good. I`m stuck with it as an annual job, fortunately I don`t have to get back to green teak every year, I use Deks Olje, never looks as good as varnish, but good enough for an older boat.

Hi Bruce.
I won't be running oiled or varnished cap rails mate. They'll be hidden under glass tape and epoxy filler topped off with white paint and nonslip tread. Would look nice with the clear gloss on the Karri but I've decided not to go down that route.

Good stuff Matt, that sewing table is the cats pajamas too. Get some more tape and keep after it.

You want me to sew some cat pyjamas? My cat doesn't wear them! He prefers to sit in my bag

Hahaha

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439893130.766367.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439893144.112847.jpg

This afternoon I sanded the glass tape i installed yesterday and began skim coating with thickened epoxy sanding filler.

Pretty excited about bring the process outside again.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439893721.366162.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439893737.250728.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439893753.087294.jpg

Hi Bruce.
I won't be running oiled or varnished cap rails mate. They'll be hidden under glass tape and epoxy filler topped off with white paint and nonslip tread. Would look nice with the clear gloss on the Karri but I've decided not to go down that route.

Matt, how did you get so smart?:D

Matt, how did you get so smart?:D

Haha oh I'm not mate. Have seen the pain others with clear coated cap rails go through.

AXE has to be functional, not pretty.

Scuba diving, deep sea fishing, parties, BBQs. No time to be sanding varnishing timber

MATT, Hate to break it to you but AXE is more than pretty. ELEGANT would describe what you are creating. Looking back and the first 100 posts to this ROPE (Thread would not hold all this) I was thinking " This dude is nuts to attempt a home build of an old rotten boat" NOW what i see is a visionary design, custom built, hand laid masterpiece. So party, dive, fish BBQ all you want. But understand AXE will be considered to be "only" Pretty those with cataracts. ELEGANT to those of us who still can see well! Your Helm should have design copyright. I can feel the so-called designers scaling it to their drawings now. Copying is some form of flattery I suppose. SEW ON! no ROCK ON. As you near completion of this epic story I want to say i enjoy the new posts often. Have nothing to contribute but for appreciation and praise for your work. On the boat and on this forum. Thanks to all of you who have great ideas you are sharing with Matt. He has managed to reap great benefit from the knowledge you have selflessly shared. :thumb:
Dave.

MATT, Hate to break it to you but AXE is more than pretty. ELEGANT would describe what you are creating. Looking back and the first 100 posts to this ROPE (Thread would not hold all this) I was thinking " This dude is nuts to attempt a home build of an old rotten boat" NOW what i see is a visionary design, custom built, hand laid masterpiece. So party, dive, fish BBQ all you want. But understand AXE will be considered to be "only" Pretty those with cataracts. ELEGANT to those of us who still can see well! Your Helm should have design copyright. I can feel the so-called designers scaling it to their drawings now. Copying is some form of flattery I suppose. SEW ON! no ROCK ON. As you near completion of this epic story I want to say i enjoy the new posts often. Have nothing to contribute but for appreciation and praise for your work. On the boat and on this forum. Thanks to all of you who have great ideas you are sharing with Matt. He has managed to reap great benefit from the knowledge you have selflessly shared. :thumb:
Dave.

Wow Dave. Thats awfully nice of you to say!

Last night and Today was wet and cold so epoxy is just a little too soft to sand. It's hard but another day or two in this weather should do it I reckon

Went and ordered some material today so will collect that when I get back from my work trip in Adelaide.

This afternoon I wired in the aft deck downlights. Pretty excited! They look great. Six downlights light up the aft deck plus the hull extension!!! ... I was going to wire in a dimmer switch but I don't know now. Will think about it. They look great and it's still daylight. Can't wait to see what they are light at night ...... On the water ...... With a 10kg Pink Snapper flapping around on the deck ;-)

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439973722.488656.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439973742.221750.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439973753.706462.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439973768.390543.jpg

And the AXE Boat Lord (Matt - lol) said: Let there be Light... and there was!

Sunglasses issued at the helm!

Greetings,
Mr. H. It's all been said thus far...outstanding BUT regarding the new lights (marvelous) might I suggest an addition to enhance the experience of the 10lb+ Pink Snapper?

giphy.gif

Greetings,
Mr. H. It's all been said thus far...outstanding BUT regarding the new lights (marvelous) might I suggest an addition to enhance the experience of the 10lb+ Pink Snapper?

giphy.gif

RT - How'd you get a hold of a model of Matt's brain! Good Job... Now everyone knows how Matt ticks!!!! :dance:

Thanks Alan. How's the flybridge cushions going?

she is purging the sewing room today and will start tomorrow

then we leave for the weekend and she will start back on Tuesday

Greetings,

giphy.gif

Haha I'm sure I can find some space for a disco ball..!!

Greetings,
Mr. H. In regards your post #2095 (holy shat!) I would think your brain is more like this...
giphy.gif

...and I'm not surprised Mr. A didn't recognize a disco ball. Dull sort I expect...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom