Window shades....exterior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a cover made for our front windshield when we bought the boat. It's made from a material called Stamoid. It's like a rubberized Sunbrella material. It snaps on/off in about 2 minutes and keeps the salon a LOT cooler, plus it's real easy to hose off.

I've only driven from the lower helm twice in the 5 years we've owned the boat, once when it was too danged hot to drive from above and once in the winter when it was too cold. I leave that Stamoid cover on pretty much all the time.

deleted

Last edited:
I find 70% to be a good compromise between light in and privacy. At night we drop the blinds for complete privacy.

No windshield privacy at night -- with lights on fill inside the saloon -- even with 90% mesh.

We have interior mini-blinds on the side windows and that solves privacy for most marina traffic. OTOH, if there's a facing dock across the fairway, we know we might be "on stage" (so to speak).

-Chris

We presently have the long wrap around that fit under the wipers. It is a pain to take off and put on. When these are shot I want to explore using individual windows. I like the flexability that provides. We have the screw in post/snaps. Work great.

We have one long wrap around that fits over the wipers, snaps on, 90% blue. Pretty easy to take off and put on.

We are trying to decide between snap on exterior covers for the side windows and a UV reducing coating. We've heard some good things about the coating options, so it seems worth considering. Certainly less hassle that covers.

White 70%. I also have a set of tan 100%.

img_358785_0_b0537443892aaf406be851d5bdec9036.jpg

Well with my 90% you have some visibility out but if I were to use the lower helm(which I don't) I would remove them. As far as being able to see in the saloon at night with the lights on, that is a negative, you cannot see inside the boat.

We went with window tint. 3M has a completely clear film which reduces heat and UV by around 72%, which we used on the forward pilot house windows. You don't even know it's there until you touch the cool dash. The salon windows have the one way shaded tint which reduces sun/UV 93% yet remain easy to see out of but cannot see in. The whole boat for <$1500 with 7 year warranty. Now run one AC instead of three at the dock.

Thanks everyone but I went with Marks selection for the project ....."deleted"......and deleted the project from my to do list.

Just kidding... will be jumping on it next week so ordering the supplies right after a thoughtful happy hour....must be 5 o'clock somewhere...:D

We have the 90% for pilot house wndows and 70% for the salon. The 90% is a bit dark on a cloudy day but gives you privacy at night which the 70% dosen't. We went with a lite shade of tan. We're traveling but I can post some pictures When we get back.

We went with a light color because of the heat.

Like you don't already have enough information-
The boat originally had the white mesh. It kept the sun out well. Some privacy.
Replaced recently. Went with the 85% black.
Keeps the sun out well. Some privacy. Wish we had gone 90%. Visibility is very good with the 85. Looking out AND looking in:). ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439679983.584184.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439679999.411554.jpg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

OK .Come on folks...know more of you that have them...

90% or 70%.....the million dollar..well how about a free beer....question?

90% too much? Or worth it?

I had them on lots of boats. Including this one I run. And we are having some made for the boat I co-own. Well worth the money. And depending on the weave you get, you can see out of them very well.

Like you don't already have enough information-
The boat originally had the white mesh. It kept the sun out well. Some privacy.
Replaced recently. Went with the 85% black.
Keeps the sun out well. Some privacy. Wish we had gone 90%. Visibility is very good with the 85. Looking out AND looking in:). View attachment 43195View attachment 43196

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Interesting. I've never seen them made like that. Where the mesh is sown into canvas "framing" so to speak. The only ones I've seen/had are where the entire cover is made of the mesh.

Who made those and why?

No windshield privacy at night -- with lights on fill inside the saloon -- even with 90% mesh.

We have interior mini-blinds on the side windows and that solves privacy for most marina traffic. OTOH, if there's a facing dock across the fairway, we know we might be "on stage" (so to speak).

-Chris

Good point, Chris. I place the burgundy canvas on the windshield at night when I want privacy at the dock or total sun blocking facing the setting sun. The windshield sunshade only gets used at anchor during summer months like this week on the water.

Living in Florida I have white at 90%. They do get a little dirty and but with the heat here it makes a huge difference. I also use foil insulation between the windows and the covers. It blocks all heat and UV. Now it does make the cabin dark so that is a drawback. The water temps in my marina make it difficult to have the A/C's work efficiently so every little bit helps.

I used the 48" foil bubble wrap stuff at home depot to put between my rv's windshield and the screen. It was dark like you say, so I tried some 1/4" bubble wrap that walmart has in the home office area, and it works every bit as good as the foil kind for the heat, and lets the light in as well.

I have to make some screens for this boat and I am thinking of sewing in the bubble wrap so it's all one piece.

I think the even the filtered UV will cause the bubble wrap to disintegrate over time. I'd stick with the foil lined variety.

We have independent covers for all side windows and one across the front over the wipers with a zipper so the front center window can open with the cover on. We also have a sold vinyl cover for the front, believe they are 70%. Good visibility out but not in, they are off white with a straw coloured tracer and the boat is also off white(light cream). ...:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_20150815_164516.jpg
    IMG_20150815_164516.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20150815_164645.jpg
    IMG_20150815_164645.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20150815_164739-1.jpg
    IMG_20150815_164739-1.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 49
Interesting. I've never seen them made like that. Where the mesh is sown into canvas "framing" so to speak. The only ones I've seen/had are where the entire cover is made of the mesh.

Who made those and why?

Captain Bill
The boat came with the setup- and as it started to look tattered I used it as a template to have a replacement made using the black shield and the Sunbrella Pacific Blue. The original seemed to be made of scraps is what my canvas guy said.
Here's the rub. I hate it. Way too much blue. Individual window segments is what I should have converted to. Much classier to my eye.
I have my German grandmother's 1911 Singer (electric) that was passed down to me, an industrial snap tool and several of the needed supplies for new screens- just haven't learned to sew yet :(!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Back
Top Bottom