replacing ice box with a refrig.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith c

Vessel Name
Princess M
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34
I have a 1971 grand banks 36 with the original ice box which was converted to a frig with cold plates. The system has gone out and I would like to put a new refrig. in its place.Any info on problems I will face and manuf that make a refrig which will fit .

Suggest you find the grand banks forums. Many owners there , likely many who have already done what you want.

Just remove the cold plates and install a remote compressor with a freezer plate/box in the icebox.

Something like this: Waeco Mobile Refrigerators

The ice box you have probably has better insulation than the bix you'd buy to replace it with.

"The ice box you have probably has better insulation than the bix you'd buy to replace it with."

Perhaps , a lot has gone on in the last 30-40 years with better insulation..

Empty the box and stick in a big 25040lb block of ice.

Wait 2 days for all the temperatures to stabilize , and weigh the block of ice carefully

Wait another 2 days and weigh it again.

IF your weight loss is under 5lbs a day , the insulation is OK for a small DC electric unit to do the job.

144 BTU is required to melt a pound of ice so you can do the math if the melt rate is over 5lb a day.

I installed a 110v Haier undercounter fridge and run it from an inverter underway and anchor. At the dock I move the plug to the shore power 110v. It's been running that way since 2000. It's well vented and I always meant to add power ventilation but have not yet gotten to it.

If you go with an undercounter unit, find one with a real separate condenser coil mounted in back. Some of the newer ones have the condenser coils molded into the sides. It's easier to vent them out the back.

The unit was $99.00 in 2000. Biggest problem installing it was getting the old Dometic unit out the door. Screws hold it in place covered by new trim. The door was reversed to make it easier to open in the galley. A barrel lock keeps the door closed underway and props it open during the off season. I always meant to paint the door brown but you know....

If the hole where a fridge went was converted to a holding plate box you can pretty much guarantee the holding plate box has at least 3" of insulation around it. Any less than that, unless it was made of the newer high tech stuff, would be a waste of money.

So no slide in box I'm aware of would come close to that. But you would most likely gain interior volume with a slide in box.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom