Does your boat punch or slice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Slicer?

Attachments

• SweetPea at speed2.jpg
    SweetPea at speed2.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 97
Just a couple of clarifications on Spray.....

From Yachting Magizine of 1962.

Power was (and may still be) the relatively huge D-333TA Series H Cat with a Twin Disc 2.4:1 reduction turning a 28" by 26" three blade Columbian propeller. Speed was reported as 16mph cruising and 17.28mph top. With tanks for 360 gallons of fuel her cruising range was reported as 475 miles.

Well mark, I have hull #2 Harvest Eagle. Sailed her from HK to Singapore 9 days non stop, tail of a typhoon, surfed down waves @ 13 knots, only once she tried to broach. Done a lot of modifications on her but stuck on the 7 knot speed.

Good to hear from a fellow Coot owner. Believe we have the only Coots with sails (so far). That must have been an exciting trip.

another slicer or half and half?

Ted

Attachments

• unnamed[3].jpg
    unnamed[3].jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 91
Punching and plowing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 83
Ted,
You got it.
Almost no slicers around here but most aren't exactly punchers either. My Willy isn't a slicer w her sizeable bow wave but she's no puncher w only 40hp to punch with.
Tweeners.

Depending on wave height and duration as well as speed of my Tolly... e.g. hull speed or planing speed. Some times she slices and some times she punches.

During either time she feels good to handle and to ride in.

While planing, the outwardly curved prow of my boat's upper portion of her bow well throws spray to the sides as her sharp lower bow portion cuts into smaller waves (1 to 2.5 foot chops). When choppy waves get into 3 to 4.5 foot heights speed must slow and she punches through. Chop waves taller than that become a task... but doable. Heading into wide spaced rollers or riding along in following or beam seas are entirely different stories. Handling conflicting waves inside inlets can be a really interesting affair. I've been pleased many times during all sorts of wave encounters to have extra power for compensations when required.

I don't think punching or slicing as Mark presented it has anthing to do w waves.

At slow speeds your Tolly is a tweener like most of the rest. But at high speeds Tollies are probably bangers like all planing types.

But a case could probably be made for a planing hull like a Tolly to be a slicer w the bow up high enough. The WL would become almost a straight line "V" on a hull w enough deadrise. But I don't think Mark had planing in mind either.

Last edited:
Nice photos. Sherpa with her full-displacement hull is in the "puncher" realm I presume.

Manyboats--the more I look at Willy, the more I realize my boat's designer was a lover of Willards.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0994.JPG
    IMG_0994.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 77
Tortuga has a very fine entry so she slices. She leaves almost no wake at 7 knots. Above 7 knots she has to shove water out of the way and starts leaving a wake.

Eric,

Really looking hard at Pilot 30's. A slicer cruising speed?

4879190_20141120091313509_1_LARGE.jpg

But at displacement speeds, not sure what to call it. A 50/50, or maybe just coaxing a little water out of the way?

img_5yNHOl5Zyh.jpg

Aggressive slice! :thumb: Only planning hulls can do it that way!! Yahoooo

Until it gets rough and you come "over the top".
Then are you going to "cut (slice and dice) them"
or"beat (body slam) them" into letting you proceed?

Ted

Until it gets rough and you come "over the top".
Then are you going to "cut (slice and dice) them"
or"beat (body slam) them" into letting you proceed?

Ted

... "into letting you proceed" i.e. much more slowly than being up on plane in more gentle waters. :thumb:

Unless, of course, one might want to abuse boat and human body by continuing the beat-up processes of marine hull "body slams"! :ermm:

Power can cover for a lot of mistakes, if you'd otherwise drift into them.

Mike,

Looks like you're trying to run down an osprey!
That was a seagull that almost waited a bit too long to take flight.

As to the comments about running on plane and forcing your way through taller waves, in post #60 I put a link to a video I took on the Columbia River 3 years ago where we were running on plane in ~4' waves.

Check out the lack of bow rise or body slam in this video.

Here's another. Same trip, further down river, running around 22kts against a strong headwind.

The boat rides pretty steady. We've had her in ~5'-6' seas with no noticeable slamming.

Back
Top Bottom