New construction: She:Kon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not at all sir I just like plywood boats.

And they are (more or less) fun to build. If I had 1/10th of your drive I'd be building one now.

I have plans here somewhere for the Bateau V-10 dingy. If someone was seriously willing to build it I'd give them the plans (license to build one boat).

Boat plans for amateurs |

Boat building is fun until the sanding phases :)

Without a doubt.Been there.Hate sanding.

I have nothing but respect for rick taking on this massive project.

I my own modest way I've built two stich and glue boats: both were 8' length sailing dinghies , so I can't imagine the work involved in a 30' boat.

Keep up the fantastic work Rick, a very interesting and educational thread!

I agree.I will hopefully be undertaking a similar barge project in a couple years.Mine will be ply on frame.Less glass work and sanding.Still lots of it tho on a boat that will be around 34' LOA and 8'6" beam.I think Rick's barge is going to be 36' LOA and 9'6" wide.He'll have to correct me on that tho.

Hell of a good job there Rick.My hats off to ya.I'm 38, and it would take me a month just to lay down that 16'x4'2" area of glass.:facepalm:

Just watching Matt and Rick has cured me of any desire I might have to wet out a bunch of fiberglass and then sand it all down. They each have more intestinal fortitude than I have ever had!

Just watching Matt and Rick has cured me of any desire I might have to wet out a bunch of fiberglass and then sand it all down. They each have more intestinal fortitude than I have ever had!

haha c'mon mate. You're not living till you've sanded tri-axel glass then washed your clothes at the end of the day only to find out you've put them in the load with everything else and now you're undies are filled with fine glass fibres. Whats not to love! :dance: :lol:

Without a doubt.Been there.Hate sanding.

I agree.I will hopefully be undertaking a similar barge project in a couple years.Mine will be ply on frame.Less glass work and sanding.Still lots of it tho on a boat that will be around 34' LOA and 8'6" beam.I think Rick's barge is going to be 36' LOA and 9'6" wide.He'll have to correct me on that tho.

Hell of a good job there Rick.My hats off to ya.I'm 38, and it would take me a month just to lay down that 16'x4'2" area of glass.:facepalm:

Hi Ben,

What are you thinking of building...?

Don't wait too much longer Ben. I wish I had started this project in my 30's!

Our boat, as it sits, is 31' 5" from the tip of the bow to the top of the transom and 10' 2" beam. Probably end up near 36' with all the appendages & gew gaws stickin' off the bow & stern.

Sanding ain't so bad, really. Like Axe says 'what's not to love' 'bout it? :rofl: My wife doesn't allow me anywhere near her washing machine with my boat shed clothes! Smart girlie! :lol:

Intestinal fortitude MHD? No, more than likely it's an intestinal blockage! :D

Going to start wetting out that panel about 9'ish so I don't disturb the neighbors on Sunday morning.

Standby.....

Making great progress Rick

Making great progress Rick

Thanks folks! :thumb:

Port side fiberglass all gooped up & squeegeed. I only used a bit of peel ply where the fabrics will overlap. The rest is naked. See how it goes this time.

spacer.gif
img_356725_1_93da6362b885b9027a04d2aac3eacfd2.jpg

Took me 3 hrs and 2 gals of epoxy just like I figured it would. Getting good at guestimating materials I am! ;)

spacer.gif
img_356725_3_e99b4f20606cbc53e739e3632002a72e.jpg

The ole' web log has topped 100,000 page views. That's a wee accomplishment methinks! Many thanks to everyone who's visited it over the years. Cheers!!! http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/08/port ... ssing.html

Shower time!

Standby...

Hi Ben,

What are you thinking of building...?

Spira Sitka stretched to 30 feet per designers plans and the optional vee bow instead of the flat up swept bow.It will end up being around 34' LOA with the swim platform and bow anchor roller.I've been trying to get started on this boat since 2008.My health keeps going in the crapper, and prevents me from getting started on my boat shed, or the boat.The boat in my avatar is the basic boat built per plans.Not mine tho.I can't remember the guys name right off hand.

Don't wait too much longer Ben. I wish I had started this project in my 30's!

Our boat, as it sits, is 31' 5" from the tip of the bow to the top of the transom and 10' 2" beam. Probably end up near 36' with all the appendages & gew gaws stickin' off the bow & stern.

Sanding ain't so bad, really. Like Axe says 'what's not to love' 'bout it? :rofl: My wife doesn't allow me anywhere near her washing machine with my boat shed clothes! Smart girlie! :lol:

Intestinal fortitude MHD? No, more than likely it's an intestinal blockage! :D

Going to start wetting out that panel about 9'ish so I don't disturb the neighbors on Sunday morning.

Standby.....

I am pushing to start when I'm 40.I am going to try to go back to school.It starts in September.I should be done with school, and starting to work by age 40.Living on disability isn't cutting it and I wasn't planning to live out my life on it. :thumb:

I thought I'd get close on the boat specs.I was a bit off.:blush:

You'll get there someday Ben. Just keep the dream alive! Took me till I was 50 to get started!

Hot & Muggy & rain all day. Not much fun fiberglassin' in that kinda weather so I decided to hack up some more aluminum plate and make the thrust plate for the Python Drive.

spacer.gif
img_357475_1_21d3ebc8db982dd08b90f91d6637ab28.jpg

Took my time and got the holes lined up perfectly. Measure 1500 times, cut (drill) once they say! :D

spacer.gif
img_357475_3_60020fb3052c4a370d37ab30e0473469.jpg

Two shopping trips to Canadian Tire today. Second one netted a new Jig Saw & some drill bits. I probably have 50 drill bit kits or whatever you call them and none with a 1/2" bit. *sigh* Luckily both were on sale! :thumb:

spacer.gif
img_357475_5_4b27ead7da78571a227c148cc84d6a8b.jpg

Weather supposed to be more conducive to epoxy work tomorrow.

Standby...

Port side aft fabric laid out to be gooped tomorrow. Just have to trim it up a bit in the back corner. This piece is 18' 6" long and should consume about 2 gallons of epoxy and take me 3 hours again to wet it out.

spacer.gif
img_357776_1_9f7791c5e2ddb513e945ae882e4a5277.jpg

I'm not going to use peel ply this time either. Just resigned myself to a wee bit of sanding prior to the next layer going on.

took advantage of the cooler temps today to get some more done.

http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/08/leve ... glass.html

Started out having to level the boat (again). It settled 3" on one side since we flipped it last year. Half is sitting where my gravel driveway was and the other have (that sunk) was grass at one time.

Boat gobbled up another 1-1/2 gallons today! :eek:

spacer.gif
img_358148_1_a35406578053acbccdb0ba812cea47a0.jpg

Switching stuff around tomorrow to do the starboard side & transom then guess what? Oh boy! I get to do it all over again! :banghead:

Standby....

I know the FG itch.
Worked at Uniflite installing engine beds (aluminum fabrication), shaft logs and rudder ports. Only for a few months before going to engineering. Worked mostly on installation changes re getting the boats to float w/o list. I was better suited to engine beds than drafting.

Good work Rick.So good,in fact,that your work ended up in my email inbox.Here's what came to me and what it was linked to.

Homemade Core Cell Drier

Vacuum Pump Requirement for Drying Out Core-Cell - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

That's just weird Ben. I've had other sites 'suck up my stuff' and make it theirs too.

Anywho, Wee diversion from boat building this morning but still sort of boating related. Ever since the 'Big Bubble' incident I've been thinking that it may have been caused by some sort of contamination from my air compressor, water or oil. Was contemplating bodging together a makeshift air dryer from an old air compressor tank then this morning the Canadian Tire model of air dryer was on sale. Lil' voice in my head said: "Buy It & Run" so I did! $13 in fittings etc. and FrankenManifold is born! :socool:

spacer.gif
img_358746_1_8cb9ebc2cbea0653ab61d45c1c0e7c60.jpg

Apologize for the crappy cell phone pics.

Few more pics etc. on today's web log update: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/08/litt ... lated.html

Rick,that site has a couple of your crafty inventions,and they make reference to your online persona and the site in which it was stolen from.

Also, good find.

Starboard side bottom panel sanded & glass laid out. Just need a break from the heat and I'll get this gooped down. Doing the bottom & side in two sections just like the port side.

spacer.gif
img_359209_1_d3b6e68ea5576ca9dc797165602be0af.jpg

Heat warnings for today. 100+ with humidex. Think I'll be laying low this afternoon. ;)

Few more pics & nonsense on the blog update today: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/08/stbd ... glass.html

Standby....

Finally got a little relief from the heat. Hit the shed early and got to work!

img_360904_0_4f7d58062c42d2ce4a81a9fb6c4cddfa.jpg

Starboard side aft wetted out.

img_360904_1_3f177370847b9b3e7981037658281e98.jpg

2-1/2 hours & 1-3/4 gallons epoxy.

Tomorrow the bow section.

Standby....

Port side inside done. Took over an hour longer than the other side. I couldn't get the fabric to wet out. What a PITA. Must have been a combination of the temperature & humidity or something. I dunno. :confused:

spacer.gif
img_361219_1_eb72d2bafab8920d6e9e0920594cd4a1.jpg

Gonna keep plugging away at it.

Standby....

Sanded in prep for more glass on the starboard inside & bulwarks. Didn't take too long but long enough to make it pretty much unbearable to goop it today.

spacer.gif
img_361455_1_72857dcc4217e948ba709db515663844.jpg

Should take me about the same time as the port side did. Three hours and 2 gallons of epoxy. I'll only have the bottom section on the starboard side and the transom then it'll be onto the 12 oz fabric which I hope will go a lot faster.

Standby...

It is looking good! Nice work!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I'm buying stock in epoxy and fiberglass cloth.

Rick: I read everyone of your posts here and on your blog. You're doing something that I would never try. Well done!

Thanks for posting. :)

....Sandpaper is where the real future lies.

Aye, sandpaper purchases are in my future. 6" 50 Grit peel 'n sticks! :thumb:

I probably won't have 'nuff fiberglass to finish the boat. Likely another 50 yds in my future sometime along with the 15 gallons of epoxy to wet that out! *Sigh* The 30% premium on the USD we pay plus 14% tax at the border is eating into my budget pretty severely. :banghead:

Thanks everybody for looking in 'specially you Nurse Benny! :hide:

Took 'nother bite out of the whale this morning. Starboard side inside.

spacer.gif
img_361832_1_eccd74772bfe5c0ebbb2e5bdeed10ee9.jpg

Three hours give or take and 1-3/4 gallons of epoxy. I squeegeed the livin' sh*t out of it today! ;) Tomorrow I'll sand the edges and get ready to do the starboard side bottom & transom. Should be able to get them done in one day.

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/08/star ... warks.html

Standby....

Rick

It is really coming together

Back
Top Bottom