Just for something different

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyDawg86

What are some good steel or aluminum "trawlers"? I use that term loosely because it doesn't need to be a true trawler.

Looking to have one built or buy used?

There are a surprising number of one offs out there that are possibilities....

Some are disasters waiting to be bought...some are cherries waiting to be picked.

I think the dogs wind up in the pound pretty often and have a hard time being sold...and the cherries appear and disappear pretty quick.

Builders of these one offs may keep in contact with the original buyers so it may be a way to find out even before the boat winds up on the market.

I have heard of plenty of boat deals that never hit the street because the buyer hounded the seller for years....I have heard the same in real estate so it may be a good tactic.

A few good brokers may be in the same position to help...when you are serious..put the feelers out...can't hurt!

What are some good steel or aluminum "trawlers"? I use that term loosely because it doesn't need to be a true trawler.

With the same heritage as the aforementioned SHM Coot 35 there's also the very popular Ducks. Designed after the west coast salmon trollers the SHM Diesel Duck 382 and 462 designed by George Buehler would be near the top of my short list.

Last edited:
It would be used for sure.

Anyone ever stay at Tidewater Yacht in Portsmouth, Va? There was a beautiful aluminum boat there for years that ever moved. I have no idea if it's there anymore

Norwegian Romsdal defines "Trawler".

This Glen-L Union Jack 31' pulled into our marina a few years ago. All alloy construction. Very nice lil' ship till the owner/builder told me what he had invested in it! :eek:

img_358325_0_df595a5d37cff5690a7c2af1d559c75c.jpg

"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

Not to get sidetracked, but I absolutely LOVE the sig line!

This Glen-L Union Jack 31' pulled into our marina a few years ago. All alloy construction. Very nice lil' ship till the owner/builder told me what he had invested in it! :eek:

img_358331_0_df595a5d37cff5690a7c2af1d559c75c.jpg

Gee, I thought that was an Airstream.

Is the aluminium boat community tight? I'm still curious as to what happened to that boat. I remember going to see it every time I was at the marina and I told my dad "one day I'm going to own that boat." It seemed to be pretty neglected, I wonder if it was ever fixed up.

Is there any "aluminium boat forums" out there that I may have missed?

Is the aluminium boat community tight? I'm still curious as to what happened to that boat. I remember going to see it every time I was at the marina and I told my dad "one day I'm going to own that boat." It seemed to be pretty neglected, I wonder if it was ever fixed up.

Is there any "aluminium boat forums" out there that I may have missed?

I'm originally from the Pacific Northwest. Aluminum boats up there are the norm. Its hard to find much good info on aluminum boats online. There is one forum, but its mostly boats in the 20' range.

Bought my boat 4 years ago. She was a one-off build for the owner of a shipyard. Like psneeld said above, "Some are disasters waiting to be bought...some are cherries waiting to be picked." I feel mine was a cherry.

Metal boats are a different animal than plastic, but with a bit of homework they can be very rewarding.

img_359206_0_df595a5d37cff5690a7c2af1d559c75c.jpg

The Eagle 32 is the glass version of the Union Jack. Transpacific asked Ken
Hankensen, the designer of the Union Jack, to adapt the design from steel to glass.

Back
Top Bottom