View Single Post
Old 08-13-2015, 10:44 AM   #18
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
First off, you do not have a schedule, that is good. You can happily sit in port and wait for nice weather days.

If you do this right, and are patient, you will never see rough weather. Just hop from port to port. You do not need to do any long overnight offshore passages.

If you look closely at the trips noted in this thread they were all delivery trips, made by people on a schedule. When you have a schedule to meet you will get yourself into rougher weather than necessary.

You do not need anything special for this trip. No need for HF, or anything other than VHF radio for weather communications. Thats because you do not need to go out of VHF range to make this journey.

Just remember the key concept that this is not a long journey with a destination in mind. It is a series of day trips between harbors. Plan your trips to hit a harbor at a slack tide, or close. If you have to leave a harbor at 3:00 AM do it. It's allot funner to leave a harbor in the dark than pull into a strange harbor in the dark.

People fear the Oregon coast unnecessarily. Thats because they are almost always on a schedule. They go out in rough weather, they get into trouble.

My son spent two years with the USCG as a crew member on one of the motor lifeboats at station Coos Bay Oregon. When I asked him about the Oregon coast his words to me are exactly what I am repeating to you. Do not have a schedule and you'll not see rough water. He said that every SAR case he went out on involved someone going out in conditions that they should have known better.

His advice was to hop harbor to harbor. Day trips. When I take our boat back south (It spent its first 11 years at Newport Oregon) Thats how I'll be doing it.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote