Walter V-Drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktdtx

Guru
Vessel Make
24" El Pescador
Anyone know anything about a Walter V-Drive?
Looked at a boat today-Cat engines far astern and put in backwards with shaft going forward to transmission and then propeller shaft going aft to propeller.

Provided a lot more space in the engine room by getting it out from under the saloon/salon floor.
Is this a good piece of machinery? Cause any additional problems?

Thanks
Ken

Sounds like this is a modification to the boat?
If so, you should get a competent surveyor's report on the mechanical parts, their compatibility and correct installation, and an engineering assessment of the changes made. Remote V-drives require considerable expertise to be correctly installed. (Nothing wrong with the concept, but does present challenges for the installer)
Moving the engines can have big effect on performance, safety, and the way the boat handles.
What kind of boat, what engines, what V-drives???
Pictures??
Just recalled an earlier thread on here where the boatowner was asking why his exhaust outlets were partially submerged, this would be the first thing I would look at. It will say much about how well the job was engineered, and whether or not you should continue your interest in the vessel.

I think it is a "from the factory" installation.
It's a Canoe Cove 53' with 375 hp Cat 3208's

Ken

I do Not know much about them but when I was looking at boats ran across one did a little research on them

Called the factory and they still stocked parts for it

Have seen a couple of boats with them. Don't neglect oil changes. Friend who had a pair of them in a sport fish tied to a pair of Cummins had one fail. Don't remember if they rebuilt or replaced it. Not sure if he ever changed the oil in it. Stereotypical twin engine owner, "fix what breaks; I have 2 engines so I can always get home".

Like the concept better in low HP applications like trawlers. One think to look at carefully is the location of the stuffing box. Having it under the engine can be a real PIA to repack or tighten.

Ted

V-drives are quite common in express boats (Sundancers and Cruisers and so forth), and Walter's version has a good reputation.

They speak to the trade-off between user space (room for that extra mid-cabin berth) versus access to propulsion-related systems...

-Chris

If it's of any use, I have a few of the original manuals for my Silverton 31C scanned and uploaded to my company server, here:
Index of /dalewindle

Includes the Walter V drive manual for my boat. They have been problem free.

I think it is a "from the factory" installation.
It's a Canoe Cove 53' with 375 hp Cat 3208's

Ken

Yes, I have them on a Canoe Cove 37, and have had them in various boats for 40 years. In the 70's they would clatter when trolling, but today they are so smooth that they seem to engage transparently. And I do have a full basement between them and the V-berths on the CC37 as one consequence, with no diesels in the main salon when cruising. I have 500hp to lift them out when planing too, an ideal power setup with that weight well aft.

Walters are the best.

Thanks again and Dale I scanned your file and they appear to be a minimum maintenance item.

Ken

Owned a boat with one and my 35 inch sleeve was too short to reach the stuffing box. Also I believe I read on boat diesel that it takes additional horse power to turn it.

Yes, stuffing box access can be an issue. Funny that designers don't seem to see such issues.
I have cursed them loudly many a time, some boats have left the shop with less than perfect alignment because of this.
Horsepower loss is negligible, you wouldn't notice it.

Anytime you add something you increase complexity, potential failure points and
maintenance.
However if sized right they can have advantages.
Lots of testing in drag boats. Think over-sized shingle with massive V-8 mounted
in the stern with long shaft to the V-drive under the pilot's (hopefully controller)
seat forward.

Ted

Anytime you add something you increase complexity, potential failure points and
maintenance.
However if sized right they can have advantages.
Lots of testing in drag boats. Think over-sized shingle with massive V-8 mounted
in the stern with long shaft to the V-drive under the pilot's (hopefully controller)
seat forward.

Ted
i had a friend jn up state ny that had a wooden boat built before ww2 that had a packard engine with a walters v dr never a problem i met him in 1970 and it was still running

The V drive has some attractive advantages.

Much more desirable if running light engines. Big heavy diesels belong amidships IMO for good weight ballance. Moving weight fwd (to counter the aft engines) produces a boat reluctant to follow seas pitch wise and could be wet running boats. Or worse. Amidship engines will probably produce a more level running boat w a smoother ride and depending on hull design may be more efficient.

But the noise and space benifits are obvious. The hull should be designed for the aft weight and I'd be very suspicious of a conversion unless the original boat had twin outdrives.

I had a Carver 28 with Walter V-Drives. Never any trouble. Repacking the stuffing box was done hanging upside down. Not fun but doable when you are 25 years old!

Back
Top Bottom