Pt 35 Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ibw111

Hello Everyone! New to this forum and happy to join you all.

I am in the market for a mid-size trawler that has a bit of "speed". I previously owned a CHB 34 with a single Ford Lehman 120. While I loved the vessel, I often wanted to cruise to home port faster than 7-8 knots after a long day out on the water.

I've been looking at PT 35s in my area. Notice one with twin Cummins that stated a cruising speed of 13 knots, top 19. Another has twin Perkins (smaller engines, I believe) that cruises at 8 knots, top 10.

Does anyone have any direct knowledge of cruising speed for the PT with Cummins engines? Also, I've heard that one needs to pay particular attention to window leaks in these vessels?

Thank you.

I initiated a purchase on a PT 35 here on the west coast last year. Love the layout. :) It had twin N/A Perkins. 6 - 7knot cruise, 8 tops for that boat. Alas, way too many issues and I bowed out mid survey. Some of the issues I should have caught during my own showing. But the used car salesman style broker was very distracting and rushed me. Shame on me. :banghead:

Very typical of Taiwanese trawlers of the era, so yes examine the areas around the windows. May just be condensation staining. May be secondary to window leaks. Fortunately the ones I've seen don't have exterior teak decks.

Obviously she's a SD design, and with enough HP, should get up on a plane. Those numbers sound a bit optimistic though. If you're happy even if the speeds are a couple knots slower than advertsed, go give her a good look. Ultimately the sea trial will tell the truth.

Pineapple Girl on here has one. Not sure which motors. Maybe she'll chime in. If not send her a PM

Good luck. :thumb:

We have twin turbo Perkins 6.3... whatever they are. 210 hp. the PO advertised it as 16 knots top speed. Not so much. We got up to 13 one time and threw a bunch of money overboard. :) We usually cruise at 8 or 9 and 3-4 gph. hard to say exactly as we also have a diesel heater. We are very happy with the boat. Most of the windows have discolored veneer beneath them but we have never actually seen leaks and the areas have not gotten worse in the five years we have had the boat.

Pt 35

Thank you all for the generous replies. I thought that 13 - 19 kts was a bit high. I do want to be able to cruise comfortably at about 12, so I may have to consider another vessel.

Back
Top Bottom