'Trawler' capable of 12-14 knots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToddS

I've been reading over the forum and have found some info on my question, but wanted to get some additional info, and hopefully, detailed fuel consumption, speed info.

Here is what I'm looking for in a boat (I don't want to charge the debate and use the term trawler):

Comfortable cruising at 7-8 knots. Would like to get at least 4 mpg.
-Ability to go 12-15 knots if desired
-head
-27-36' (that's a wide range, but want to leave options open)

Desires:
-fly bridge
-plenty of deck space
-aft cabin
(I know these things may be putting me into unicorn territory here)
-single engine, would prefer inboard or outboard, would like to stay away from I/O.

We'd be using it for mostly day trips, and occasional weekends on the Chesapeake Bay, based out of the Annapolis areas. I won't discount a week long trip here and there, stopping at marinas as needed for provisions, fuel, water, and to pump-out. I'd like to be able to carry our kayaks (12.5 and 13.5', 45-55 lbs ea) to use those.

Normally, I'd like to cruise at a lower, more fuel efficient speed, but tied to a desk job, I'd like to be able to take day trips or overnight trips and get to places to visit. Doing the math, at 7 knots top speed, we could be looking at 5-6 hours to many spots.

Reviewing the forums, looking like a Albin, Tollycraft, Island Gypsy, or Mainship might be in line. Also, Bayliner or Carver seem to be possibilities.

I know I'd be looking at an SD hull, and that I'd be able to carry less fuel/water, etc. but I think for our uses for the near future would be great.

Like I said, I'd like to hear from people and get some real world figures on fuel consumption and speeds.

Edit: I know it may not be possible to hit all these points, but advice on "closest" also appreciated.

Thanks!

Todd

P.S.-Hoping to hit TrawlerFest at the Bay Bridge in October.

Last edited:
You have too many conflicting requirements. I don't think any single boat can meet all of them.

David

Maybe a Grand Banks 32? No aft cabin, but you could sleep a person or two in the salo(o)n. Ticks the rest of the boxes though.

Why not look at the Beneteau 34 or 44? No aft cabin but perfect for the Chesapeake, but I'm biased!
The fuel consumption figures on boattest dot com are pretty accurate.

With those sort of numbers you'll be looking at a boat of about 7 tons with a single 250/300hp- ish engine of about 35' or less.

Most semi-d hulls need about 50hp/ton when they're loaded up with cruising gear and fuel.

The only boat I can think of that does those numbers is the Mainship 34 mk1-3, but no aft cabin.

With those sort of numbers you'll be looking at a boat of about 7 tons with a single 250/300hp- ish engine of about 35' or less.

Most semi-d hulls need about 50hp/ton when they're loaded up with cruising gear and fuel.

The only boat I can think of that does those numbers is the Mainship 34 mk1-3, but no aft cabin.

Our Mainship 34 Mk III would have come close. Yes, no aft cabin; it was a V-berth with insert in the bow, the dinette could sleep a couple shorties, and the couch could make into a bed. Can't remember if it was a jackknife setee, or a full pull-out sleeper...

Ours was a single DD 8.2T, 220-hp IIRC... displacement about 14000, I think.... 14 knots was usually flogging it a bit; better at 12, and we usually ran at 7-ish.

Never had issues with fuel or water capacity. The holding tank -- a Traveler toilet -- was about 8-9 gallons, IIRC.

-Chris

A newer Grand Banks 36 will do what you want if it's a twin with a pair of 220 Cummins or their equivelent. The GB hull is a semi-planing hull and with enough power it will move out very smartly albeit with an impressive appetite for diesel.

Throttled down, it will bumble along at displacement or near-displacement speed with a pretty reasonable fuel consumption.

But you need a GB36 with newer generation engines. An older one like ours with a pair of FL120s in it won't give you the speed you want. A single-engine GB36, even with a modern Cummins or John Deere in it, won't do it either because it doesn't have the total horsepower you need to move this heavy boat at those speeds.

The GB36 went out of production in the early 2000s. However their value tends to remain fairly high. So best to have a boat purchase budget of a couple hundred thousand or so for a late 90s, early 2000s boat.

And whatever you decide to get, don't forget to allow for the annual ownership cost of the boat, which is what it costs you to have that boat every year for as long as you own it. It is a not-insignificant amount, and if you don't allow for it your boat ownership experience can be a very unhappy and stressful one.

PS-- Another possibility with a single engine is a Nordic Tug. No aft cabin here, but they are marketed as "fast trawlers" and the newer ones with Cummins or Volvo power can move out fairly impressively. They only recently started putting flying bridges on some of their larger models so one is looking at a pretty hefty price tag if a flying bridge is really important.

Last edited:
I think it can be done but can't think of any boat off hand that would do that. Most trawlers that are SD are too far from FD to be efficient enough to meet your requirements. (IMO). The GBs mentioned are too heavy and wide not to mention heavy. A NT w more rocker aft would probably do it but their bottom is too flat (though it does have some rocker) and weight could be an issue as well.

There is one variable that could definitely yeild your boat and one of our own (NA Tad Roberts) designs lean in that direction. That variable is weight. A light boat (especially a light and narrow boat) would yeild the boat you want. One of his designs is called "Passagemaker light". He is probably the only one here that could identify your boat or definitely design your boat. Before I say more I'll hope he sees this thread.

Marin is correct about a GB 36 with larger engines but not sure it will reach 15 kts. Our 42 with twin 315 Cummins has reached 14.5 kts in a calm sea, usual Bay conditions make 13 kts more achievable. I don't believe a GB 32 could reach 10 kts, much less 15.

Marin is correct about a GB 36 with larger engines but not sure it will reach 15 kts.

No, I don't think it will either. But it will do the lower end of the OP's "fast" envelope, 12 knots or maybe 13 if it's pushed a bit.

The fuel consumption penalty will be hefty, however, as it's a very heavy boat to be forcing through the water that fast. We just had our 1973 GB36 hauled on Monday and it hit about 30,000 pounds on the Travelift. Granted, the early glass boats are a bit heavier than the later ones assuming the same equipment on board, but regardless, it's a lot of weight to be shoving around.

Perhaps it is apostasy, in this temple of trawlerdom, to even mention a power catamaran. But if you substitute "two private staterooms" for "aft cabin," the PDQ 34 handily meets every one of the rest of your criteria. It'll run slow and economically, or faster (ca. 15-plus knots) while still making relatively efficient use of dead dinosaurs.

Here's a good description, linked by an owner: PDQ-34_Report

They are hard to find for less than $160K, and more commonly listed for well into the $200K range. You can spend more, if you like!

Blissboat you beat me to it.

Rafe

The OP wants 4nmpg.

Not easy to achieve even at "trawler" speed. The 14-ton Coot (not capable of beyond hull-speed) can do it at five knots, but my cruising speed is six-plus knots, getting 3.5nmpg.

Last edited:
The PDQ will do that if you're willing to go slow. For real first hand numbers, check this blog: Golden Trawler

Rafe

I agree on the PDQ 34, but as much as I love them, the twin aft. staterooms are a long way from the feel of a roomy aft cabin. Of course, if you've got to have the aft cabin, there's always the PDQ 41 and you'd still get close on the MPG. Big bucks, however.

Last edited:
Small Camano? Oliver had one. I bet he knows the numbers.
Never mind, no aft cabin.

Parks yes the Camano 31 is a posibility.

Mark how true ... Willy only gets 6mpg but that's only at 6knots.

Last edited:
The camano can run 15kts max. We ran her about 9-10kts can't remember the fuel burn but she's a stout boat.

I'm sorry but the only way the op will get close to what he wants at a presumably modest budget(deduced from the op's suggested boat brands) will be if he goes with his Bayliner or Carver option. They are both planing hulls and with a couple compromises can easily tick off most of the other boxes.

The big thing here is fuel economy. I think you are making too big of a deal about it. ANd if you can't afford it you might need to look at a smaller boat. It takes a lot of power to push 25,000 pounds of plastic and iron through the water at planing speeds. The Powercat option is pretty much your only option. That or a very small boat. My Mainship 30 Pilot came close on fuel economy but does not meet most of your criteria. Get rid of the fuel economy criteria or settle on slow speed....or get a powercat!!!!

I think we've found several boats that come close but without the aft cabin. That makes it a cruising boat for a couple and a weekend boat for two couples.

Thanks all for the great leads.
It seems like the aft cabin knocks out a lot of options, and thinking about it, a better arrangement would be to sleep in the salon when just us, and use the forward berth only with guests.

The 4 mpg is only something to aim for, and 12 knots would probably be a more realistic requirement, use less fuel, and still get us places faster than a true FD hull boat.

So, any additional recommendations if we disregard an aft cabin and look at lower top speed?

RClark: Thanks for the boattest website. I'd looked at that in the past but forgotten about it.
Ranger: Do you recall what kind of mpg you got with your Mainship?
Blissboat: I'm not opposed to Cats. I actually like the looks and layout of the PDQ. I'd be concerned about increased slips fees with such a wide boat, as well, as difficulty in some marinas.

Thanks for the info on the Camano; I had not come across that yet.

Again, I really appreciate all the helpful advice and knowledge. Also, appreciate the patience as I try to focus in on what's realistic to expect. I realize all boats are a compromise and I need to figure what I think will be our best option(s).

It seems like the aft cabin knocks out a lot of options, and thinking about it, a better arrangement would be to sleep in the salon when just us, and use the forward berth only with guests.

Ranger: Do you recall what kind of mpg you got with your Mainship?

I'm afraid I don't, sorry. Never actually paid any attention to it, just added more when we needed it. Fuel wasn't really one of our higher-cost budget items...

FWIW, today with our current boat, fuel isn't really highest on our expense list.

Why would you want to sleep in the saloon instead of a forward berth?

FWIW, a real pull-out sleeper in a saloon eats up beam pretty quickly. Our current beam is something like 2' wider than the Mainship was, and there's only a small bit of room to walk around our sleeper when it's pulled out into bed form. We've allowed guests to use it a couple times, but it's very disruptive... at least for us.

-Chris

Last edited:
Again, I really appreciate all the helpful advice and knowledge. Also, appreciate the patience as I try to focus in on what's realistic to expect. I realize all boats are a compromise and I need to figure what I think will be our best option(s)

Hi Tod,

Just to give you a framework to explore the sort of boats that might meet your criteria, here is a modern common rail super efficient trawler design:

Swift trawler 34: 34' x 13' beam.
http://www.beneteau.com/Motorboats/Swift-Trawler/Swift-Trawler-34
Displ. Loaded: 8.5 tons.
Single engine: 425 HP.

Fuel no's:
1200 revs/ 7kts / 2gal/3.5 mpg.
2500 rev/ 15kts/10gal/1.5 mpg.

So you can see the general rule of about 50hp/ ton on a semi- displ hull is a very good guide.

Conclusion:
The problem is finding a boat that's light enough...

Last edited:
The PDQ will do that if you're willing to go slow. For real first hand numbers, check this blog: Golden Trawler

Interesting blog. They reported 3.6 piles per gallon over almost 6000 miles. Not bad at all. We looked at an Endeavour 44' trawlercat (powercat???) and it was really roomy. I still think about that boat but was intimidated by the 19' beam. One of the local marinas said we would need to rent a 60' slip to get a wide enough berth.

Also on the blog, I found it interesting they were doing a delivery on a Searay and sheared the shaft losing the prop. There was no mention of hitting anything.

Last edited:
We'd be using it for mostly day trips, and occasional weekends on the Chesapeake Bay, based out of the Annapolis areas....Reviewing the forums, looking like a Albin, Tollycraft, Island Gypsy, or Mainship might be in line. Also, Bayliner or Carver seem to be possibilities..

If only day trips, why not look at a Sunbridge instead of a command bridge? Bayliner, Sea Ray and others have even produced aft cabin (some say coffin cabin) models.

Why are you steering away from your Albin, Tollycraft, Island Gypsy, or Mainship possibilities?

ToddS,
Light and narrow and some rocker will deliver but a contemporary boat will not find these charicteristics available. And objective real fuel consumption numbers are rare.

Perhaps an Albin 27 would come close. No FB and not quite the speed though but not sure about the latter. Aft cabin though.

Last edited:
Also on the blog, I found it interesting they were doing a delivery on a Searay and sheared the shaft losing the prop. There was no mention of hitting anything.

Shafts that aren't maintained(zincs) become pitted and therefore weaken. A severely pitted shaft can break without hitting anything. When I bought this boat, it came out of the water during survey and the condition of the running gear was so bad that we ended the survey right there and deemed the boat unseaworthy even to ride home on. One of the many issues was pitted shafts. When a catain went to rescue the boat a few days later one of the props broke off while she was maneuvered into the slip. So....it can happen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom