Helmsman's layout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don,
Your right most of my cruising and fishing is off shore.
When I am behind Fraser or Moerton Islands is the only time I am not out in the Ogan.
A lot of it is coastal only about 10 to 20 mile of the coast but so are the merch ships , you got to mix it with them.

Benn

Here's the most important element of my helm***** visibility ahead. No bow rails, fenders, anchors, or other clutter do obstruct the view. This shot was from the center of the center (of three) fwd windows and the stbd view is 99% as good. In that way the Willard is perfect. The cable "railing" keeps us aboard except on the very bow and so far I haver't fallen off. The trade off is great visibility fwd and I love it. The Nordic Tug is good in this way and the bow rail would be easily cut down to half the height. Anyway, visibility is by far the most important part of the layout for me.

Attachments

• sth71202.jpg
    sth71202.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 73
That's hard to disagree with, Eric.* Yet I want a solid handhold up in the bow for deploying the "iron"*anchor, the*parachute "anchor", and such when waves are crashing and the boat is bucking.* But then the seas are always calm in the inland passages of southeast Alaska, right?*
wink.gif

ry%3D400

-- Edited by markpierce on Sunday 26th of December 2010 12:18:13 AM

nomadwilly wrote:Anyway, visibility is by far the most important part of the layout for me.
Right you are, Eric.* You have to look out the window.* After crossing over the Gulf of Mexico, I was crewing on a boat delivery.* The capt. was on the flybridge with unrestricted visiblilty.* We had just entered a dredged channel heading for Applichicola.* I had to tell him to take his eyes off the chart plotter before we centered a fixed daymark!* He was an instrument rated pilot that trusted instruments.

Mark also makes a great point.* A railing on a bow pulpit makes anchor handling alot safer.**My boat has a toe rail with no bulworks.* That is something*I miss about my trawler.* When you have only a toe rail and a bow rail, something for hand holds is needed.**As you could see my*boat also has a midrail for security.

I*use the bow stanchions*for taking quick, simple bearings on other boats.* Constant bearing-----danger of collision. Passing ahead of stanchion means I will pass behind the approaching vessel.* Passing behind means I will*cross ahead of the vessel.* I also have a hand bearing compass at the helm, but this system works most of the time.**

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 26th of December 2010 08:50:01 AM

nomadwilly wrote:

Here's the most important element of my helm***** visibility ahead. No bow rails, fenders, anchors, or other clutter do obstruct the view. This shot was from the center of the center (of three) fwd windows and the stbd view is 99% as good. In that way the Willard is perfect. The cable "railing" keeps us aboard except on the very bow and so far I haver't fallen off. The trade off is great visibility fwd and I love it. The Nordic Tug is good in this way and the bow rail would be easily cut down to half the height. Anyway, visibility is by far the most important part of the layout for me.
Eric, Eric, where do you put your bow pennant?
smile.gif

Because of our speed, if we ran with a bow pennant, it would be in shreads in a*matter of hours.* By stepping to the left side of the helm, I can use the bow pennant staff*as sort of a gun sight.* I use it to line up on objects I want to run to, and*then I*set the*autopilot.

On the East coast in the ICW miles are statute and course lines are magnetic.* That is another reason for setting the chart plotter to read in magnetic.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 26th of December 2010 10:09:20 AM

MoonStruck Wrote:
By stepping to the left side of the helm, I can use the bow pennant staff*as sort of a gun sight.* I use it to line up on objects I want to run to, and*then I*set the*autopilot.
Wow! Talk about "Great Minds Agreeing".* I use my bow rails (specifically the rail**
around the pulpit) for the same purpose. (Not to mention the security it provides*
when going forward.)

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 26th of December 2010 11:24:07 AM

Attachments

• gun sight.jpg
    gun sight.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 66
SeaHorse II wrote:

Wow! Talk about "Great Minds Agreeing".* I use my bow rails (specifically the rail**
around the pulpit) for the same purpose. (Not to mention the security it provides*
when going forward.)
If you have seen the big Palm Beach style sportfishing boats on the East coast, you will have seen that they are sans bow rails.* Asthetics are the only reason for this.* Most do not have forward windows in the deck house.* The flybridge is the only helm station.* The helmsman is far above the bow.* The forward deck usually has allot of camber to*shed water (it can shed people,too).* There is only a small toe rail between any person on the bow and the water.* It doesn't look safe to me.* Even Hattera is doing this if you have seen their ads.

I will admit that they are georgeous boats.* Built for punching through head seas at speed with copious amounts of power and speed.* Low free board in the stern for fishing.* It is thrilling to see those big guys running through almost any conditions.* Their captains are usually expert boat handlers.***A lot of ego on the line, but beautiful to watch.------------bui I digress-----------

With regards to "aiming" one's boat using some reference hardware on the bow, I have never found any reason to do this but if one likes having somehting up there for this purpose, it's yet one more advantage of having a Rocna
smile.gif

Attachments

• p10257.jpg
    p10257.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 63
Marin wrote:

With regards to "aiming" one's boat using some reference hardware on the bow, I have never found any reason to do this but if one likes having somehting up there for this purpose, it's yet one more advantage of having a Rocna
smile.gif
Oh, the Rocna!* Is there anything they can't do?
smile.gif

Rocna this, Rocna that ....*
bleh.gif

(A conversation eight years ago between my sisters: "... Have you spoken to Mark lately?* It is always 'Perla this, Perla that.'* ...")

-- Edited by markpierce on Sunday 26th of December 2010 04:06:24 PM

Moonstruck wrote:Oh, the Rocna!* Is there anything they can't do?
smile.gif
They're really crappy at grilling steaks properly.* If that's something you expect from your anchor, don't buy a Rocna.

This is a progress report on the design of Carquinez Coot's helmsman's position.* Front-left will be the "function panel" controlling bilge pumps, wipers, and windlass.
Front-center is the "engine start panel"*which includes*the engine monitoring gauges and warning lights.* Front-right will be the gear shift, throttle, and thruster control.

The top panel includes the whistle control, auto-pilot control, rudder indicator, searchlight contol, Floscan meter, fuel-tank gauge, and radar/plotter screen.* I want to change this panel by moving the radar/plotter from the right side to the left side, moving the tank and fuel gauges to the right side, and exchange positions of searchlight control and auto-pilot.* This will give better access for a second crewman for monitoring the boat's position relative to the rest of the world.

Any last-minute suggestions/comments?* Thanks.*

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 3rd of January 2011 03:55:01 PM

Found this layout of my 34' Pilot.* No instruments were overhead.

Auto pilot with rudder indicator and tridata upper center.
Chart Plotter/fish finder and radar flanking
Spot light remote control left
bow thruster control left
anchor windless control left
trim tab controls right
engine alarms &warning lights center
Compass center
Horn button center
VHF down and left with remote speaker
Engine gauges down, but well visible
Switches under
Single lever engine control right

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 3rd of January 2011 04:03:31 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 3rd of January 2011 05:09:21 PM

Attachments

• caper helm.jpg
    caper helm.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 61
Mark,
I love that part about "Perla this* ..Perla that"
Moon,
That helm station is beautiful****** ....but but where do you put your feet when you sit down** ..can you sit down? Interesting very low positioned throttle/gear control.
Mark,
How do you send drawings. Copy on your printer, put in computer and send?
I wonder why you have a Floscan. You're going to burn what you're going to burn.
Faster-burn more. Slower-burn less. Are you planing a run to Hawaii?
You're picture stays the same is the boat progressing?

nomadwilly wrote:

Moon,
That helm station is beautiful****** ....but but where do you put your feet when you sit down** ..can you sit down? Interesting very low positioned throttle/gear control.
Eric,* Yes you can sit.* The helm seat is raised for good sight line.* There is a fold down foot rest that works while sitting.* I like to stand allot, so i had a cushion floor at the helm and nav station.* the cushioned seats were great to lean against.* the combination throttle/ gear lever fell easily at hand.* It took a little time to layout all this in a small area.* I ordered the equipment and hired a marine electrician to help me with the install.* I also installed heat and a/c on the helm deck.* It was a great boat to run* When in open water on auto pilot, I usually ran barfooted leaned back in the seat with the arches of my feet on the curvature of the dash.* Very confortable.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 3rd of January 2011 04:46:06 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 3rd of January 2011 04:49:17 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 3rd of January 2011 05:12:28 PM

nomadwilly wrote:

Mark,
How do you send drawings. Copy on your printer, put in computer and send?
I wonder why you have a Floscan. You're going to burn what you're going to burn.
Faster-burn more. Slower-burn less. Are you planing a run to Hawaii?
You're picture stays the same is the boat progressing?
Eric, Perla and I still (after 8+ years) joke about it.

The builder emailed jpg files as attachments.* I opened the files then downloaded them to my computer.* With Shutterfly, I copied the files into my Shutterfly account.* At Shutterfly, I opened the file containing the photos, double-clicked on the*photos to enlarge, then copied*photo and then pasted into the Trawler Forum posting I was creating.* Whew!

Coot #6*is progressing.* I've gotten two progress reports (with photos)*so far, about every two months, last one a month ago.* No completion date given yet, but the purchaser of Coot #5, which is a bit ahead, has an estimated completion of March 2011.

The Floscan?* That's*mostly boyish curiosity seeking immediate feedback.

Looking very nice Mark! The only suggestion I would have is to place the fuel & water gauges somewhere else but nearby to leave room for ongoing nav/com additions & upgrades in years to come. The fuel & water gauges don't *require the same immediate monitoring or manipulation as most nav/com electronics.

Mark:

I like it except the location of the Tank Tender. I agree with a previous comment about keeping the fuel and water gages off the main panel. I disagree with Eric's comment about the FloScan. After you use it for awhile you'll wonder why more people without electronic engines don't have FloScan. Don't forget to leave room for the FloScan reset switch.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Monday 3rd of January 2011 06:38:58 PM

Attachments

• dscn1156.jpg
    dscn1156.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 57
  • dscn1236.jpg
    dscn1236.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 59
As with Mark we are having the fun of designing the layout as part of the build. My wife initially did a cut and paste mockup that we were then able to trial on our last visit to the boat yard. Nothing like in situ to get an idea of how it will work.

Attachments

• helm station electrics doodle 3.jpg
    helm station electrics doodle 3.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 2010_10_29_0617a.jpg
    2010_10_29_0617a.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 2010_10_29_0624a.jpg
    2010_10_29_0624a.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 54
SeaHorse II wrote:

Mark:

I like it except the location of the Tank Tender. I agree with a previous comment about keeping the fuel and water gages off the main panel. I disagree with Eric's comment about the FloScan. After you use it for awhile you'll wonder why more people without electronic engines don't have FloScan. Don't forget to leave room for the FloScan reset switch.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Monday 3rd of January 2011 06:38:58 PM
Seahorse and Mark,

I have never had a Floscan.* Is it something that requires enough attention to place in a prominant place by the nav instruments?* Just curious in case I lay out another helm.* Is it connected to other instruments to compute speed and mpg or just gal/hr?* Showing my ignorance here.

Nav,I like what I can see of your boat a lot except it's too big. I was at one time, before I bought my Willard going to buy a 35 to 38' sailboat and cut off 2/3rds of the keel. Remove all the sail rigging deck and house and build a trawler in the cavity within. A raised pilothouse was in mind w a lot of engine room room. The huge percentage of trawlers w semi-planing hulls drove me to such wild ideas. Prolly would have been easier to have a hull made. A sailboat w a swing keel had a lot of promise though.Perhaps we could see the stern of your new boat. The stern is what usually makes the boat what it is.

Thanks, Conrad and Seahorse.* I've asked the builder to move the fuel/water gauge away from the panel*and mentioned the need to accommodate the Floscan's reset switch.* I've suggested the gauge be relocated in the gangway to the forward cabin, facing the helmsman.

Don't know what I'd do without you guys.

nomadwilly wrote:

Nav,
I like what I can see of your boat a lot except it's too big. I was at one time, before I bought my Willard going to buy a 35 to 38' sailboat and cut off 2/3rds of the keel. Remove all the sail rigging deck and house and build a trawler in the cavity within. A raised pilothouse was in mind w a lot of engine room room. The huge percentage of trawlers w semi-planing hulls drove me to such wild ideas. Prolly would have been easier to have a hull made. A sailboat w a swing keel had a lot of promise though.Perhaps we could see the stern of your new boat. The stern is what usually makes the boat what it is.
Hi Eric,

I think Seahorse Marine had the same idea. Our hull is identical to the one they use on the Mandarin motor sailor. But while it has the traditional full length keel the stern is following the more modern yacht design ie wide and flatter.* Attached are a couple of pictures of the Mandarin.* Photos of our stern which is the same*are on our web site under the construction photos page.

Attachments

• 674018_1.jpg
    674018_1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 674018_6.jpg
    674018_6.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 674018_10.jpg
    674018_10.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 674018_15.jpg
    674018_15.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 64
Mark,
Am I* hear'in you saying the Floscan switch is more important that coolant temp???

Seems nuts to me. Sorry.

In the front/center is the engine start panel which includes a water temperature gauge.

ry%3D400

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 4th of January 2011 02:47:01 PM

Moonstruck wrote:I have never had a Floscan.* Is it something that requires enough attention to place in a prominant place by the nav instruments?.... * Is it connected to other instruments to compute speed and mpg or just gal/hr?*
Don:* Not only will it show you mpg & gal/hr, if you get the digital model, it will serve as your tachometer, fuel left in the tank, and since it hooks up with your GPS, it will show distance to empty at any speed you choose.** Does that sound like something you would like to include in your scan? To answer your question...I have mine where it's easy to read.

Attachments

• floscan.jpg
    floscan.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 67
SeaHorse II wrote:

Don:* Not only will it show you mpg & gal/hr, if you get the digital model, it will serve as your tachometer, fuel left in the tank, and since it hooks up with your GPS, it will show distance to empty at any speed you choose.** Does that sound like something you would like to include in your scan? To answer your question...I have mine where it's easy to read.*
I looked at the site for the Floscan that Mark sent.* With those features, it certainly looks useful.* I usually set the boat speed and trim where she is running easy and at a good attitude.* When running inlets, I set the stern about at deep as I can get it.* I just wonder how it would change how I operate the boat.

the other this that is very important to remember it to turn on any LCD display and check the viewing angle prior to cutting the hole for mounting... sometimes the view isn't right at the angle you think.... power it up to confirm you will see the data* clearly from the helm position...
Beautiful boat buy the way! have fun with the build!
HOLLYWOOD

Finalized*vertical panel.

ry%3D400

And here's the tank gauges.

ry%3D400

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 7th of January 2011 04:11:00 AM

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 7th of January 2011 04:19:50 AM

Back
Top Bottom