Infrared camera question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
Stupid question....Do these display normal color images in daylight (or lights on engine room) but automatically change over to a monochrome greenish display in limited light situations ?

Yes, usually a little light cell will trigger them.

I been thinking about putting one in my engine compartment. Will the infrared part of the camera work with no light? Do I need to keep a light on in the engine compartment while underway?

Sounds like a pretty boring TV show, until something catches fire. That would be fun to watch.

I have two cameras in my engine room. They are normal color video but have a ring of LED lights that go on when it is dark. One set of lights quit working so I have to turn on the engine room lights for that camera. The cameras can be found on the internet for $20-30. They interface directly into my Garmin chart plotter.

It is a quick way to do an engine room check. Smoke, water and loose things are readily apparent.

Paul

Garmin wants $500 for their camera. Would you mind posting details on the ones you use.

Thanks

Garmin wants $500 for their camera. Would you mind posting details on the ones you use.

Thanks

Look up iris they make Garmins cams. Can be found cheaper under the OEM.

Here's a live shot from my engine room camera. $79.00 dlink model. It works veryu well in the dark, but I keep the LED rope lights on and get a much better image.

BTW, I can see the camera from anywhere, even when not on the boat on my phone, or ipad, or computer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 90
Try this web site: 12V Surveillance Camera - Lightinthebox.com
or just google 12 v video camera. I don't remember the exact brand of my cameras but you need a 12v input and a NTSC video output with either a BNC or RCA connector. Garmin uses a RCA connector and adaptors from RCA to BNC are readily available. Camera prices run from $13 to over $100. Hope this helps.

Paul

Since my Garmin doesn't have the video connector, any ideas on a cheap monitor? I was also wondering if an IP camera and an old tablet or phone would work.

Any of these??

Ksanders I really want that set up and to be able to also see it on my Garmin

The fact that my Garmin 3210 had two unused video inputs is why I installed the cameras. It was very easy. Without that capability there are probably scores if ways to view video. Kevin can see it on his iPhone. Any video experts want to weigh in on an inexpensive solution?

Paul

I installed two cameras recently. Cost was around $16 each for the cameras and $30 for a quad converter. All 12vdc NTSC. My Furuno had a video card installed already so no additional cost for monitor. I made up RG59 cable for video connections with BNC's on camera end and RCA's in and out of the quad and up to the Furuno.

ZOSI 1/3" 700TVL CMOS 4.6mm IR Cut Color Security Camera

The image below is total darkness using IR so the image is black and white. If the engine room lights are on then the image will display in color.

Attachments

• monitor.jpeg
    monitor.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 78
Since my Garmin doesn't have the video connector, any ideas on a cheap monitor? I was also wondering if an IP camera and an old tablet or phone would work.

Tom, I view my ER cameras on my HDTV which is easily seen from my lower helm. My 22 inch TV cost under $200. Smaller ones might work well near the helm.

Here's a 19 in with ample inputs for $86.

Back
Top Bottom