Yanmar Gasket Sealant Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bacchus

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Bacchus
Vessel Make
MS 34 HT Trawler
I inquired about valve cvr gasket to prep for valve adj and found out Yanmar doesn't sell gaskets they recommend Three Bond sealant Yanmar PN 977770-1207F.
When I inquired about price / avail from a Yan dealer they quoted $70 for a 3.5oz tube!...Yikes

Its a silicone sealant and I guessing it will harder in the tube over time so even if I don't need / use a full tube it probably won't last too long.

Has anyone used this stuff? Is that the correct price?
Anyone used anything else? or just bite the bullet & get the recommended?
I see a Three Bond 1207F sealant listed on line???

Thanks

If the Yanmar stuff is silicone based then it is probably a high temperature sealant. Red Permatex is probably the same stuff at 1/10 the price.

David

If the Yanmar stuff is silicone based then it is probably a high temperature sealant. Red Permatex is probably the same stuff at 1/10 the price.

David

I would agree with David on this one. Here is the data sheet and specifications on Threebond 1207F for you to compare with other products.

I also found this reference that lists these as equivalent products from a Mitsubishi engine service manual:

ThreeBond 1227D, ThreeBond 1217G (Mitsubishi Genuine Part No.1000A923), ThreeBond 1207F (Mitsubishi Genuine Part No.1000A992), LOCTITE 5970, LOCTITE 5900 or equivalent.

The key here is that they are all "Semi Drying Sealants" FWIW.

Good luck :thumb:

Thanks

David & Larry...

Thanks for the quick response & insights.
I searched for the data sheet for the 3 Bond but couldn't find it... just what I needed to compare.
Minor point but I see the Permatex Red can cause some corrosion - and they recommend their Ultra Series - think I'll go w/ the Ultra Grey.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom