Sidney BC surveyors & insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
Moving to Sidney in June was step one of a two step master plan.
Step two should be completed by next spring, subject to finding the right boat.

Based on an '85 to '95 GB 42 with 120 Lehmans, I would appreciate input from local boaters on hull and mechanical surveyors as well as vessel insurance agents.

Would your choice of mechanical surveyor be different if the boat choice changed to Cats or Cummins (not 555s)?

When I was arranging for inspections on the Island I heard nothing but great things about Ken Rorison for the survey. A friend's broker buddy told him that is who he would use if bought a boat on the Island. As to a mechanical inspection, I got no particular recommendations.

I used Ken for my survey of Intrinsic in 2008. Dr. Death the brokers call him. Thorough to the point where he kills some deals - but that is exactly what I wanted, a detailed critique of the boat, with a good list of recommendations. Use him. You'll get straight answers. As for Insurance, I use Dolphin in Vancouver.

I used Ken for my survey of Intrinsic in 2008. Dr. Death the brokers call him. Thorough to the point where he kills some deals - but that is exactly what I wanted, a detailed critique of the boat, with a good list of recommendations. Use him. You'll get straight answers. As for Insurance, I use Dolphin in Vancouver.

Thanks Vagabond and ales.
I canvassed insurance brokers in the spring; both Hub and Dolphin Recommended Ken Rorison. Allied Marine suggested Total Boat.

In the spring, I felt out a local broker about acting for a buyer and he used the name "Dr. Death" as well. Said he along with many brokers wouldn't use Ken because he kills too many deals. I thought, as a buyers broker he would want that kind of thoroughness so wondered about motives.

Back
Top Bottom