Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Art- I got the impression that he was talking about just the cap rail, not the width of the walkway or the thickness of the bulwark, right?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439050428.220232.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439050692.387986.jpg

I don't have a cap rail, but I do appreciate a nice chunky teak one.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439050463.571999.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439050463.571999.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 565
Wow - Matt - There are numerous "useable space", safety, and product protection items to take into account. I hope I'm clearly seeing your question correctly and that my answer actually address (understands) what you request.

Can you provide picts of AXE looking from both front to rear and rear to front on the side deck-areas (gunnels) where you are to be constructing/setting your mentioned "gunnel plank".

Don't your currently fabricated dimensions of cockpit and salon and cabin widths in relation to hull's gunnel edge already place the gunnel plank with basic minimum/maximum width? Or are you speaking of extending the gunnel plank over edge of hull and having rub rail protrude past a virtual vertical plane with hull? I don't recommend doing such as I question; i.e., a protruding bottom of gunnel plank - it would be susceptible to damage at docks and rafting with others due to wave actions and verticle up-lifts what could tear the protrusion all to hell.

Gunnel walks on sides of our Tolly taper; not being all the same width. I've never measured but would guess they reach a low of 14" in couple short locations, going up to 24" wide in others. It's easy to do a 360 degree walk all around our tri hull with plenty SS grab rails against salon/fly-bridge and a gunnel side rail everywhere.

Hope picts help with what I say! :dance:

Hello Mate! :thumb:

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for my non-nautical terminology. Wayfarer is right with the name I think 'Cap Rail'.

I will take some pics tomorrow for you. Aft its about 300mm but stern its 110mm. AXE doesn't have the advantage of having such an awesome walk around like your 'Office' does so anyone wanting to sit front will need to "walk the plank" along the side hanging onto rails along AXE's roof.

I'll take some pics tomorrow :thumb:

Not a lot happened the last couple of days. Rained lots, epoxy still clogging up paper so have to leave it.

Desk arrived today tho so whacked that together in anticipation for my you beaut sewing machine!

Sorry but that's all I've got for you atm

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439199566.621754.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Hi All, :hello:
I am wondering if you would be able to help me please :flowers:. Im getting ready to order the hardwood to do the Gunwale plank along the topside.

Im going to go wide to enable walking and somewhere to "park ya arse" as well as a nicer "wide chunky" look but I don't want to go too wide and look stupid. :facepalm::banghead:

How wide are your gunwales? and would you make yours wider or narrower? :confused::ermm:

Thanks in advance :Thanx::dance:
I put new teak cap rails on a couple years ago. I made mine about 5" wide and 1-1/8"
thick ,wide enough to sit on and walk on . I laminated all the bends .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 104
Not a lot happened the last couple of days. Rained lots, epoxy still clogging up paper so have to leave it.

Desk arrived today tho so whacked that together in anticipation for my you beaut sewing machine!

Sorry but that's all I've got for you atm

View attachment 43033

What kind of sewing machine ? I have an LZ1 Sailrite .

I put new teak cap rails on a couple years ago. I made mine about 5" wide and 1-1/8"

Thanks PM. I am looking at around twice that in width and thickness in some spots mate.

LOL ... Where were you at post 1984 mate?! Haha

I've had mine about 5 years .I bought it when we had a sailboat . I've only used it a couple times . Seems to be a pretty good machine ,but I don't know anything about sewing ,found that out right quick . I would like to build a big table around it and really learn to use it . I know it's gonna take a lot of practice . Woodworking comes easier for me than sewing . You will be fine with it , dang man I haven't seen anything you can't do .:thumb::thumb:

Great looking work on those rails

You will be fine with it , dang man I haven't seen anything you can't do .:thumb::thumb:

Mate there's lots I can't do. The difference is I don't become comfortable. I don't stop wanting and I don't stop growing, I don't become satisfied. When I have a goal that I'm stretching for, reaching out of my comfort zone then I'll find talents and abilities that I didn't know I had.

I play the below link at a minimum of once per day. Sometimes up to ten times per day, depending on how bad of a day I'm having. I relate what he says to my dreams and AXE.

http://youtu.be/sl_kv-6-I_s

I built the wife a massive sewing table a few years back 8' x 3-1/2'). She was working with two machines on my old college drafting table. It was sagging 2" in the middle. Cobbled together this table & shelves from left over mahogany plywood & scraps left over from the boat project.

img_357034_0_bd2e77bd61101e252cbbb8b45d81f9b1.jpg

I asked her if she wanted more light. Being the stubborn ole' Goat she is, she told me she didn't need one. First chance I got I got her a new LED work light and a magnifying glass on one of those long clamp thingies. She finally had to admit that the light and magnifying glass were absolutely the best additions to the sewing table ever!

Ya know we don't see as well as we did when we were youngsters! :facepalm:

Carry on mate!

If still wondering about gunnel /bulwark width..many sportfishers with cockpits have'm 12 inches or so.

Google up a bunch of pics and guestimate the width from other objects and decide what looks right for you.

Hi All, :hello:
I am wondering if you would be able to help me please :flowers:. Im getting ready to order the hardwood to do the Gunwale plank along the topside.

Im going to go wide to enable walking and somewhere to "park ya arse" as well as a nicer "wide chunky" look but I don't want to go too wide and look stupid. :facepalm::banghead:

How wide are your gunwales? and would you make yours wider or narrower? :confused::ermm:

Thanks in advance :Thanx::dance:
What kind of hardwood you gonna use for your rails ?

New toy arrived today. Pretty excited to use it. It's a heavy little bastard!

I placed it in the carry case and looked at mounting it all into the desk like that but it's going to be dodgy and bugger up the carry case itself which may come in handy if I need to any site repairs on AXE etc.

I'll make a template and screw it off to the underside of the desk and router out the hole from the top for a neat flush fit then mount a shelf underneath to support the machine and ensure the desk and machine working surfaces are flush.

I've got the iPad set up behind the machine so I can stream and watch "How to sew" videos

I need to buy a plug adaptor from EU/US style socket to fit a AU socket. It should be good once it's all up and running.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439360977.277388.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439360990.494417.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439361009.513716.jpg

Last edited:
Yes you may want that case it is heavy but the case makes it a bit easier to carry

Sailrite has some great videos my wife is working on the flybridge seating now

Yes you may want that case it is heavy but the case makes it a bit easier to carry

Sailrite has some great videos my wife is working on the flybridge seating now

Hi Alan,
How does Pam find the machine? Any issues or things to look out for?

Hi Alan,
How does Pam find the machine? Any issues or things to look out for?

Hello Matt

Pamela loves the machine and the support

the only thing I think she said earlier in the thread when I mentioned you were going to get one was to use it first before a project to get it loosened up.

She has Completed the sundeck cushions for the boat ( we have had many people ask us for the name of the contractor that did them )

Chase lounge cushions for our pool

V sunblock curtains for the boat

working on the flybridge cushions now (well she is actually asleep now)

she uses the sailrite videos frequently but also says they have great customer support when needed

I am also think she uses a App sailrite recommended I will ask her when she gets up

New toy arrived today. Pretty excited to use it. It's a heavy little bastard!

I placed it in the carry case and looked at mounting it all into the desk like that but it's going to be dodgy and bugger up the carry case itself which may come in handy if I need to any site repairs on AXE etc.

I'll make a template and screw it off to the underside of the desk and router out the hole from the top for a neat flush fit then mount a shelf underneath to support the machine and ensure the desk and machine working surfaces are flush.

I've got the iPad set up behind the machine so I can stream and watch "How to sew" videos

I need to buy a plug adaptor from EU/US style socket to fit a AU socket. It should be good once it's all up and running.

View attachment 43096
View attachment 43097
View attachment 43098

Hey Matt that's the same machine we have . I still need to get a hot knife and few other things. I haven't tried any good canvas yet just some cheap stuff . It sure is different from woodworking . You will love the walking foot and zig zag . Good luck with it .

Last edited:
I'm starting to feel like I'm not a real man until I have a bitchin' sewing machine...

Just think of the politicians mouths that could be sewn shut! :lol:

Nice looking machine! :thumb:

Art

we/she have been very happy with it

Hello Matt

Pamela loves the machine and the support

the only thing I think she said earlier in the thread when I mentioned you were going to get one was to use it first before a project to get it loosened up.

She has Completed the sundeck cushions for the boat ( we have had many people ask us for the name of the contractor that did them )

Chase lounge cushions for our pool

V sunblock curtains for the boat

working on the flybridge cushions now (well she is actually asleep now)

she uses the sailrite videos frequently but also says they have great customer support when needed

I am also think she uses a App sailrite recommended I will ask her when she gets up

That's great to hear mate. Would love to see some pics!

How long does Pam think I should "run it in" for? Are we talking an hour or is it longer?

Hey Matt that's the same machine we have . I still need to get a hot knife and few other things. I haven't tried any good canvas yet just some cheap stuff . It sure is different from woodworking . You will love the walking foot and zig zag . Good luck with it .

Haha I bought I hot knife last night actually ... Good ol eBay!

Comes with three cutting tips which one is large and is for ropes which will be ideal for AXE too. Win win :)

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439388806.869055.jpg

Too Cool!

Linda is in process of choosing a new sew machine. I will show her this video. We will look closely into this sewer brand.

Thanks!, Guys! - Art :D
Art if I don't start using mine pretty soon it may be for sale .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom